• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I wouldn't bring them into Blade Show, but I am considering bringing them to the "Pit" in the evenings... Are you saying its frowned upon even at the Pit? @Gabriel

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I see knifemakers sell their knives in the pit all the time. Hell Jeremy horton use to sell all his knives the night before bladeshow opened in the pit. Granted he is a very well known maker but he never had anything but his open bid knives on his table at the shows. Tom Mayo hasn't had a booth with at blade show in god knows how many years but I still got drunk with him 2 years ago :) He was just there hanging out and talking to friends and makers. Don't over think it. If you got some knives take them to the pit. All the makers will be there. If you want their opinion show them and say hey I'm new here a piece of mine. I really admire your work and would love any advice you have for me. Some may be dicks about it but I bet some of will give you solid advice.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Pulling knives out your bag to sell in the show, will get you cut and/or thrown out. The order may vary.

Going up to a knife maker and saying, "Hey, I am a knife maker too. Well, I want to be one/am one/could you teach me to be one, want to check out my stuff" and then pulling out your knives, will vary from maker to maker. Generally, they will tell you to walk along or may even check your work out. Then it could go either way, as they offer their wisdom for free and give you some encouraging words or they could tear your knife apart pointing out how bad it sucks, either way you should buy something from them. Not doing so is very disrespectful and will be remembered.

If you making knives comes up and they if you have any of your work... Stay calm and show it to them, then buy something to show your thanks. Again, be calm. Don't hug the maker.. It gets awkward.

The pit, is anything goes. However, being a noob or outsider with no mentor cred, it's an uphill battle. But go, be friendly and snuggle up to the person you know who knows more people than you do.

Drink, alot before. Your liver, will power and ability to perform gross motor functions will be tested. Memorial day is a good primer to see if your in shape..

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I would love to make it down for at least one. I have to say the "secret handshake" stuff mentioned above is not my cup of tea. I just want to walk around and look at stuff!

Top Bottom