• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Colts have no running game. Never really have since, well, Faulk and Dickerson. Been a long time.
    So, you open up 1st drive with running plays. We are not going to to run the ball on the Cowboys. They are just to fierce up front. They kept that up with zero results all night. I have seen this same bad play calling in many games. Makes my head explode.
    They were not prepared and just never got any rhythm going with the bad play calls. Dallas is not that good.

There was some really pi$$ poor officiating as well but that is near every game these days.

Remember a guy named Edgerrin James? That running game was great. They had a better than average offensive line those years, though.

As to not running on the Cowboys: Their defense is widely considered to be sub-par this year. The weakest part of their team according to all the commentators I listen to on the radio (national level - not local)

Remember: The Colts can't run on ANYONE. They ran for ONE WHOLE YARD in the ENTIRE GAME against Dallas. QB sneaks every play will guarantee you more than that for the game.

Also: Dallas is quite decent this year. Overall, they've played a much tougher schedule than have the Colts. Dallas also beat Seattle.

As far as the officiating: I didn't watch every play, but I didn't see anything that I was upset about. But for me, the game was hard to watch - so I didn't watch much.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I see a lot of the run game problems due to the play calling. Obvious formations, down situations, and no reason for the D linemen to worry about anything BUT the run game.
    I see no screens, few draw plays, guards aren't pulling, no sweep runs (student body left) etc. WHOLE season has been like this.
    20 yard passes every passing play leads to low percentage sustained drives. This is the Pro level. NOT college.
    The Colts have only 2 games left this year. Tennessee this week and ONE playoff game and out.
    I looked for that thread I started last year.. "What's that smell" but I couldn't bring it up on search.
    The Colts may be able to bring back Duke Tomato if things continue on this path.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    And the ONLY reason the Colts win the division is by default. Not much quality football in their division.
    AND....the Colts have to be one of the most boring teams to watch that I've seen in a long time.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    20 yard passes every passing play leads to low percentage sustained drives. This is the Pro level. NOT college.

No. With Luck, Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener, deep routes are *exactly* what the Colts should be doing. Remember the Bruce Arians offense? Yeah, we need more of that.

The Colts have only 2 games left this year. Tennessee this week and ONE playoff game and out.

The only team I don't want them to face in the Wild Card round is Pittsburgh. The Colts don't match up well with them. Otherwise: they can certainly beat Cincinnati (beat them once already), Baltimore (beat them once already), Houston (beat them twice already), Kansas City, or San Diego.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    No. With Luck, Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, and Fleener, deep routes are *exactly* what the Colts should be doing. Remember the Bruce Arians offense? Yeah, we need more of that.

The only team I don't want them to face in the Wild Card round is Pittsburgh. The Colts don't match up well with them. Otherwise: they can certainly beat Cincinnati (beat them once already), Baltimore (beat them once already), Houston (beat them twice already), Kansas City, or San Diego.
    No pass blocking, dropped passes, lead to too many 3 and outs. Lousy football from Indy lately. And you gripe about NO run game.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remember a guy named Edgerrin James? That running game was great. They had a better than average offensive line those years, though.

As to not running on the Cowboys: Their defense is widely considered to be sub-par this year. The weakest part of their team according to all the commentators I listen to on the radio (national level - not local)

Remember: The Colts can't run on ANYONE. They ran for ONE WHOLE YARD in the ENTIRE GAME against Dallas. QB sneaks every play will guarantee you more than that for the game.

Also: Dallas is quite decent this year. Overall, they've played a much tougher schedule than have the Colts. Dallas also beat Seattle.

As far as the officiating: I didn't watch every play, but I didn't see anything that I was upset about. But for me, the game was hard to watch - so I didn't watch much.

James was not the end all but he was a great blocker in the last 2 years he was on the roster. All a matter of opinion for sure.
    They were not even 1 dimensional. Off time with nearly every down. Greased hands on the receivers. Balls that should have been caught were dropped.
    Dallas was all over our guys. Blatant holding. Tackling offensive blockers with no flags except for the absolutely most blatant.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Edgerrin James:

• Fastest player to gain 3,000 yards from scrimmage (22 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 4,000 yards from scrimmage (30 GP)- tied with Eric Dickerson
    • Fastest player to gain 5,000 yards from scrimmage (36 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 6,000 yards from scrimmage (44 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 9,000 yards from scrimmage (72 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Fastest player to gain 10,000 yards from scrimmage (78 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 11,000 yards from scrimmage (87 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 12,000 yards from scrimmage (95 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Youngest player to gain 2,000 yards from scrimmage- 21 years, 147 days

He was one of the best in the league while he was in Indy. He led the league in rushing two years in a row.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Edgerrin James:

• Fastest player to gain 3,000 yards from scrimmage (22 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 4,000 yards from scrimmage (30 GP)- tied with Eric Dickerson
    • Fastest player to gain 5,000 yards from scrimmage (36 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 6,000 yards from scrimmage (44 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 9,000 yards from scrimmage (72 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Fastest player to gain 10,000 yards from scrimmage (78 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 11,000 yards from scrimmage (87 GP)
    • Fastest player to gain 12,000 yards from scrimmage (95 GP)- tied with LaDainian Tomlinson
    • Youngest player to gain 2,000 yards from scrimmage- 21 years, 147 days

He was one of the best in the league while he was in Indy. He led the league in rushing two years in a row.

HHhhmmmmmm.....we most likely had a real "O" line then.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    James was not the end all but he was a great blocker in the last 2 years he was on the roster. All a matter of opinion for sure.
    They were not even 1 dimensional. Off time with nearly every down. Greased hands on the receivers. Balls that should have been caught were dropped.
    Dallas was all over our guys. Blatant holding. Tackling offensive blockers with no flags except for the absolutely most blatant.

The amount of no calls on obvious holding penalties against Dallas was unbelievable, the dropped passes (3 by Ray Allen), (2 by Reggie), plus the fake punt. The taunting penalty. These things had a major effect on the game. Plus Pep Hamilton's inept play calling along with the lack of a run game.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No pass blocking, dropped passes, lead to too many 3 and outs. Lousy football from Indy lately. And you gripe about NO run game.

*I* do? I recognize the lack of a run game, but I don't believe I *gripe* about it. I'm of the school of thought that the way to win in today's NFL is to pass the ball and stop the pass. The run game is largely secondary.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    *I* do? I recognize the lack of a run game, but I don't believe I *gripe* about it. I'm of the school of thought that the way to win in today's NFL is to pass the ball and stop the pass. The run game is largely secondary.

But you still need a running game to make the passing game more effective. If they know you're going to pass on just about every down, there's no need to tie guys up defending the run, so it frees guys up to defend against the pass.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    But you still need a running game to make the passing game more effective. If they know you're going to pass on just about every down, there's no need to tie guys up defending the run, so it frees guys up to defend against the pass.

That's why you have running backs who can catch. A screen or dump-off to an RB against a dime package is every bit as effective as a 4-5 yard rush - even if your line can't block 4 rushers with 5 linemen to open up a running lane.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That's why you have running backs who can catch. A screen or dump-off to an RB against a dime package is every bit as effective as a 4-5 yard rush - even if your line can't block 4 rushers with 5 linemen to open up a running lane.

Exactly. Where's the play calling using our backs in this fashion?
    A few screens and draws will pull the safeties in tight to open up the passing game down field 20 yards. Until the play calling improves we'll continue to see a lot of 3 and outs and interceptions from free safeties running free.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly. Where's the play calling using our backs in this fashion?
    A few screens and draws will pull the safeties in tight to open up the passing game down field 20 yards. Until the play calling improves we'll continue to see a lot of 3 and outs and interceptions from free safeties running free.

As I said up thread......Poor coaching.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I dunno. The Colts had one really bad game and now ya'll say they can't play football and the coaches can't coach. When Luck was picked, nobody predicted a good first season with him. This will be the 12th year in a row that we've made the playoffs. I think we have some growing and adjusting to do, but I see an even brighter future ahead.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I dunno. The Colts had one really bad game and now ya'll say they can't play football and the coaches can't coach. When Luck was picked, nobody predicted a good first season with him. This will be the 12th year in a row that we've made the playoffs. I think we have some growing and adjusting to do, but I see an even brighter future ahead.

Colts made the playoffs in 2011? Perhaps you mean the 3rd year in a row?

Regardless, they are still a one-dimensional offense: Pass, pass, pass. Any team that puts up a one yard effort on the ground does NOT have a running game.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

The Colts made the playoffs when Manning was recovering? ;)

The Colts are benefactors of the worst division in the game. And that doesn't do them any favors.

If they'd had more time, they may have beaten the Broncos. They almost beat the Eagles. They got SPANKED by an "eh" Steelers team and got spanked by a better-than-average Cowboys team. They also got spanked by the Pats.

Only a 7 point win over a bad Ravens team, they squeaked by the Texans twice, and barely got by the Browns.

Good teams don't get spanked as many times as the Colts have. Good teams don't barely beat (1 TD or less) bad teams - they bury them.

This is a deeply flawed team. It's also a team full of injuries.

If the Colts get the Bengals in the first round - I'd be scared. They man-handled the Broncos last night (Manning's awful game not withstanding). However, the Bengals scare me less than the Steelers.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    The Colts made the playoffs when Manning was recovering? ;)

The Colts are benefactors of the worst division in the game. And that doesn't do them any favors.

If they'd had more time, they may have beaten the Broncos. They almost beat the Eagles. They got SPANKED by an "eh" Steelers team and got spanked by a better-than-average Cowboys team. They also got spanked by the Pats.

Only a 7 point win over a bad Ravens team, they squeaked by the Texans twice, and barely got by the Browns.

Good teams don't get spanked as many times as the Colts have. Good teams don't barely beat (1 TD or less) bad teams - they bury them.

This is a deeply flawed team. It's also a team full of injuries.

If the Colts get the Bengals in the first round - I'd be scared. They man-handled the Broncos last night (Manning's awful game not withstanding). However, the Bengals scare me less than the Steelers.

The Bengals also got shut out by the Colts. Bengals on WC seems like the best-case for home team.

Top Bottom