• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The offense does fine - until we get in the red zone, and Pep stubbornly insists on switching to that asinine "jumbo" package. I mean, why try to throw to TY Hilton, Donte Moncrief, or Hakeem Nicks when you could instead throw to Jack Doyle, Anthony Costanzo, and some third-string TE you just picked up off the street?

Fair point, although that jumbo package and throwing to big "basketball" tight ends seems to be the thing to do in the NFL these days. From personal experience (I was a college defensive back) smaller speedsters like TY and Reggie are a lot easier to cover inside the 10 than they are in the open field, mainly due to them having less room to operate. So, exploiting physical size, such as with taller receivers like Nicks or the TE's is often a popular strategy, as they typically are taller then the guys guarding them. The QB can throw a jump ball and let them go get it. You see very few corner fade routes from inside the 10 anymore unless it is to a WR that is 6'6" or taller.

Add to that bringing in a jumbo package, and the defense has to counter with similar beef of its own to defend the run, making pass coverage more difficult. To make it most effective however, we have to have a respectable running attack, and we just don't have it now with Bradshaw out. Everyone knows we'll run play action out of the jumbo and try to hit Fleener or Nicks, and can put appropriate personnel in to defend it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree with everything but the Cowboys game. Their defense was historically bad last year (most say they haven't gotten any better) and Tony Romo isn't 100% healthy. I think we'll take the win that day
    Oh, oh, the Cowboys must have read your post and decided to prove you wrong...decisively.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    tumblr_nejo83MhOo1tp80nvo1_500.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It is becoming more and more apparent that the Colts Coaching staff is a bit inept.

This was only partly coaching.

Three starting O-linemen injured - from a crappy O-line to begin with.

'Boys have one of the best O-lines in the game + the league's second leading rusher. Plus Witten and Bryant.

Colts have traditionally struggled against teams with good-to-great o-lines. And they've traditionally struggled against teams with good running games. And they've traditionally struggled against good tight ends. And they've traditionally struggled against super-star wide-receivers. This Cowboy's team has all of those things in spades.

I honestly just don't know how someone could be surprised at this loss.

The magnitude of the loss - sure. Surprised me, too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

'Boys have one of the best O-lines in the game + the league's second leading rusher. Plus Witten and Bryant.

Colts have traditionally struggled against teams with good-to-great o-lines. And they've traditionally struggled against teams with good running games. And they've traditionally struggled against good tight ends. And they've traditionally struggled against super-star wide-receivers. This Cowboy's team has all of those things in spades.

The Colts have no running game. Never really have since, well, Faulk and Dickerson. Been a long time.
    So, you open up 1st drive with running plays. We are not going to to run the ball on the Cowboys. They are just to fierce up front. They kept that up with zero results all night. I have seen this same bad play calling in many games. Makes my head explode.
    They were not prepared and just never got any rhythm going with the bad play calls. Dallas is not that good.

There was some really pi$$ poor officiating as well but that is near every game these days.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Something to consider is the games momentum. On the opening drive the Colts had a HUGE 3rd down stop that was negated by a taunting penalty (debatable, but it is what it is). That leads to a touchdown. On the ensuing drive, the Colts audible to a fake punt after seeing the gunner blocker move in tight. Great throw by Pat and dropped by a wide open receiver. VERY next play from Scrimmage Dallas scores a TD. Colts down 14-0 just like that. That's the kind of thing that takes the wind out of your sails, especially in a game that some probably already felt was irrelevant. After that the give a crap factor went way down for a lot of guys.

Not saying that changed the entire game and that the Colts would have otherwise pulled out a win, but sure did make it easy for Dallas to keep their foot on the throttle all game.

Top Bottom