• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I suppose I'll start. Sorry for the crappy picture. 35 yds. Magnus Stinger 4-blade.
    bowdoe_zps6fca3126.jpg

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I just started bow hunting so this is my first bow harvest, a small doe, the bow is a PSE Stinger, the arrow is Carbon Express Rebel Hunter 6075, broadhead is NAP 100 gr Thunderhead. From about 40 yds. (I thought) I took a high shot & spined her just in front of her rear quarters. She dropped right away & tried to drag herself away with her front legs so it took a second shot through the vitals to put her down. I is also my first deer that I processed myself I got about 30 lbs. of venison from her.
    2gyd76g.jpg

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    2013_Archery_Buck_Resized_Photo.jpg

The taking of this buck on October 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM was the culmination of three seasons' waiting. I first got photos of this buck (along with two others) in August 2011, as a poor-racked 3 1/2 year old. Each year, I get those bucks on camera in August/September, then again in January (I don't run cameras during season). Every summer, I say to myself, "He needs more age on him" and elect to hunt elsewhere for a buck. This year, I decided that at 5 1/2 years old, he had finally reached the point where I wanted to hunt him.

2011:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vPcwFiLZBw

2012:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcTQu-cMrk

2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVbKQI3yb0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHtzsmwBvuk

(He's the buck in the foreground of all the videos.)

I found his left side shed from his 2011 rack and his right side shed from his 2012 rack. This year he just exploded in both tine length and mass (All mass measurements are four inches or greater.)

I passed him at 12 yards last year on October 2, 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2sJfgIN20

(He's the third buck in the above video.)

After getting rained out all day Saturday, October 5 and Sunday morning, October 6, I was sitting in the recliner browsing the internet on my laptop. My hunting clothes were lying on the laundry room floor, still damp from the heavy rain I encountered early Saturday morning as I rushed from my stand to my Jeep waiting at least a quarter of a mile away. My wife kept asking me if I was going to go hunting. The SW wind isn't good for any of the spots I would have preferred to hunt, but I decided that I would hit one of only a couple of areas where that wind would truly work -- an area that I rarely hunt.

I was in my climber somewhere between 4:30 and 5:00 PM, situated 20 feet up one trunk of a double oak. A few minutes before 6:30 PM, I spotted a buck coming up the hill. I thought that it was a smaller buck, so I retrieved my camcorder from my pocket (I'd forgotten my swingarm at home in my haste to leave). I filmed the buck as he angled up the hill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywIyzTl_1qs), and as he started to pass behind me, I realized my huge error in underestimating the buck's size. I threw the camera back into my pocket while it was still running, and grabbed my bow. By the time I got my release clipped on my string loop, he was at a slight quartering angle around 25 yards behind me. I leaned around the tree and hit the release when the pin found his vitals.

Immediately, I heard the sound that every bowhunter dreads -- that hollow, "watermelon" thump of a gut shot. The buck trotted into a small overgrown field, and stood motionless with his head down. I was praying that he would immediately bed down and I'd be able to sneak out of there in an hour and a half and find him dead in his bed the next day. Suddenly, he started walking again, and I cussed myself for the poor shot, all the while trying to keep track of his exact location.

Luckily for me, he started angling back into the woods, and was going to pass in front of a tree that I'd ranged earlier at slightly over 35 yards. I adjusted my sight to 35 yards, and drew back just before he exited from behind some brush. I held the pin steady in the opening in front of him (my drawing elbow tight against the tree behind me), and I released my second shot. The buck lunged forward about 10 yards into thick paw paw trees, and I lost sight of him. I didn't hear him running or crashing, and wondered if perhaps my second shot had missed and he'd ran a short distance and was standing motionless looking around or something.

I waited an agonizing half hour, then slipped down quietly and made my way to the first arrow. Dark red blood! It was a liver hit! Still not perfect, but way better than a gut shot any day! I then crept over to the second arrow and found good heart/lung type blood. I knew then that he had to be dead already, so I started into the paw paws and found him dead just inside of them. Upon gutting him, I discovered that the first shot had center-punched the liver without hitting any guts. The second shot had went through the top chambers of the heart.

I gave him a quick rough scoring the next night and came up with an overall measurement of right at 165". Split brow tines (abnormal points) and a missing G4 are going to cost me considerably, to the point that he may just barely net over 140". He field dressed at 210 pounds, so he was probably around 260 pounds on the hoof.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This weather is killing me. My new Bowtech is danger close to being tuned to perfection and I'm ready to get back out there. Can't go until a week from Wednesday unfortunately. :(

Top Bottom