• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Many firsts on this one: first deer ever dropped, first buck ever dropped, first one with a bow, first one from that particular property ever taken (that I know of). Got him with a 40 yard shot from a blind. Was a GREAT Sunday!!
    deer1.jpg

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    First one down. Big old momma doe quartering away at twenty-yards. I'm particularly happy with this one--she's one of those that has that awful habit of looking upwards all the time. I think my odds for the rest of the season went way up with her down.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    My daughter, Trevor Marie, is now 14 (where has the time gone?!?!) and while she has had her share of deer hunting success with a muzzleloader, she has desperately wanted to kill a deer with her bow for the past couple years. In the past couple years she lost one and had several other close encounters that just didn't work out as it often does in bow hunting. Last night that all changed.

I took her to a stand that I have personally killed more deer out of than any other location, a 20 yard wide drainage draw with corn down both sides. Deer use it as a highway when the corn is up and I knew we would see deer. We got there and I quickly hung a second stand in the tree so that I could just be the coach during the hunt. 45 minutes into the hunt 3 does came in. Some patience in waiting for the right shot was all that it took.

Trevor let an arrow fly at a young doe at about 15 yards. The doe spun, crashed into a thicket, got up and took off. With light fading we got down and were relieved to find a pretty decent amount of blood. 80-90 yards later, she was putting her hands on her first archery deer and I was one very proud dad.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Doe this morning. Her and a small one snuck in on me. Little doe was almost underneath me and this doe was at 20 yards when I saw them.
    IMG956756_zps99fac45a.jpg

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Trevor let an arrow fly at a young doe at about 15 yards. The doe spun, crashed into a thicket, got up and took off. With light fading we got down and were relieved to find a pretty decent amount of blood. 80-90 yards later, she was putting her hands on her first archery deer and I was one very proud dad.

Congratulations to Trevor!

And congratulations to everyone who has scored in this thread. Great-looking deer!

mnoonan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Bloomfield
    I wanted to give a shout out to Hickman for posting the photos of my buck (thanks bro). I wanted to add some trail cam shots I caught of him in the days leading up to my lucky experience. I had not seen these until after the hunt took place.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I shot this 8 pointer yesterday evening about 45 minutes before dark. He came off the same hillside as a bobcat did earlier. He was walking and stopping in behind me and I dared not move to sneak a peek. I waited and waited until he finally walked over to the side of me in some thick stuff. I could make out antlers and got into position to shoot. He made his way around to a run that enters the food plot and started exiting the thick stuff. I started easing my crossbow up and he caught me moving. I froze as he looked right at me. I’m a firm believer in Predator camo and he could not figure me out. He started walking again so I was able to get the crossbow into firing position. The run was a ranged 27 yards and he was a little past that. I put the 30 yard crosshair on him and pulled the trigger. The new OMNI Brites (lighted nocks) on my arrows showed I hit him exactly where I wanted to. The resounding thump seconded that.

He immediately wheeled and ran into some thick stuff. I caught a couple glimpses of him and could hear him breaking brush as he ran through and then…nothing. I could see the OMNI Brite nock glowing where the arrow had passed through him and stuck in the ground. After a 25 minute wait I got down and checked my arrow. There was good blood the entire length. Picking up blood in the dirt food plot was tough and I knew it would be tougher yet in the thick weeds and brush, so I backed out.

My son and I went up this morning and after a short 70 yard blood trail we found him piled up in a small grassy area…thus I did not hear him fall.
    I was under the gun as my doctor told me yesterday afternoon that I needed to have gall bladder surgery very soon. I’ve been having some right side abdominal pain and after tests it was determined that my gall bladder just wasn’t doing all it was supposed to do. I then said to myself the first decent buck that comes along gets it. He was it.

Now I can call the Doc and get it scheduled so I will be good to go for the Illinois gun season.

6688DAAB-704F-4F27-8F96-D4462D70F8EA-457-0000012079CCCA99_zps6207bfb5.jpg

Top Bottom