• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    So I'm a bit lost...did the definition of accuracy get changed or something? Last i knew, it ment you hit what you aimed at..which would be the center circle of the target. The cheaper tiasas pretty much did that compared to the high dollar colt.
    I thought of this analogy:
    Let’s say you build an AR15 and use the absolute best parts you can. You buy the “most accurate ammo” money can buy and head to the range.
    You shoot your first group and only see 1 hole in the target @ 1,000 yards. Closer observation and checking video shows, that hole holds all your shots BUT, it’s a foot low and to the right 3".
    Is your rifle accurate?

Okay, so, you move the sights and get it hitting dead center and now, you are puttin ever single bullet, through the same hole in the center of the target. Is your rifle accurate now?

A buddy walks up with a heavier bullet that his rifle shoots great and gives you 5 rounds to shoot. You do and still have that one hole @ 1,000 yards BUT, your group is now high by a foot and 3” left. Knowing you’ll never carry those loads and will probably never shoot any again, do you make a sight adjustment to make them hit center of the target? Is your rifle still accurate?

Don’t confuse the two…accuracy and sight adjustment are two completely different animals.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Accuracy is NOT hitting the center of the target. THAT is sight adjustment and for different ammo the POI can be different for the same sight adjustment. Some pistols really act differently in that regard and are SUPER sensitive to OAL, bullet type, ogive radius, powder charge and other variations. Not taking time to readjust the sights from ammo to ammo has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy is 100% determined by group size.
    Ok, didnt know that how it was refered to.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Hopefully, after you find out your gun is accurate we make sight adjustments so we hit what we aim at! Lol
    Got ya on that. Guess i always looked at it backwards then. Also means using the same brand ammo and not switching between 3 different brands or weight. I was going to make the move from 115gr 9mm to 124gr cause it was supposed to be much better.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Got ya on that. Guess i always looked at it backwards then. Also means using the same brand ammo and not switching between 3 different brands or weight. I was going to make the move from 115gr 9mm to 124gr cause it was supposed to be much better.
    This is me and I do this for every caliber I shoot: I never shoot the lightest weight bullets for caliber. Just me, you don’t have to agree with that and we can both shoot what we shoot best.
    For 9mm I only shoot 124gr bullets @ NATO velocities. They would probably be considered +P I suppose. My handloads or purchased ammo.

They cycle every 9mm pistol I have from subcompact to extra long full size. I hear of folks that have long breakin periods with 115gr bullets but, I don’t go through any of that. Lol

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Application is everything, assuming you’re not concerned with barrier blindness etc.

But I would find what shoots best for your sidearm and stock up on it.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    This is me and I do this for every caliber I shoot: I never shoot the lightest weight bullets for caliber. Just me, you don’t have to agree with that and we can both shoot what we shoot best.
    For 9mm I only shoot 124gr bullets @ NATO velocities. They would probably be considered +P I suppose. My handloads or purchased ammo.

They cycle every 9mm pistol I have from subcompact to extra long full size. I hear of folks that have long breakin periods with 115gr bullets but, I don’t go through any of that. Lol
    I have been doing alot of reading and watching videos. Everything points to the 124 for overall and best performance. I never really paid attention to that and looks like all the target ammo i ever used was the cheap 115gr. I was shooting my px4 storm couple weeks ago and had many ftf. No problems with same ammo in my walther pps m2. My daughters bf was using 124gr in his glock and loaded up a mag of it into the px4. No issues with that load. Really weird being i had no issues long time ago with same perfecta 115gr ammo. Probably was atleast 5yrs since i shot the px4.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok, didnt know that how it was refered to.
    What Skip said. Every time you change ammunition you'll probably have to adjust your sights. Not always, sometimes you get lucky.
    For instance my Ar-15 I shoot my reloads 75gr Hornady Match. I actually found a factory load that matched it at 100yds without changing my sights. Fiocchi 55gr FMJBT. However it starts changing the farther out I shoot. So out to 200yds it's close enough.

For handguns you want to try, and find range ammunition such as fmj, hard cast lead etc that shoots the same weight, velocity and poi as your self defense ammunition.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For handguns you want to try, and find range ammunition such as fmj, hard cast lead etc that shoots the same weight, velocity and poi as your self defense ammunition.
    SIG started making 'matched' ammo...plinking and JHP/Personal Defense...so that one could 'practice' with the same ammo they carried, but for less $$!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

If you are interested here is the lowest price I could find for one.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    When I first started working on 1911 pistols seriously in the '80s I was astounded to hold a frame and see the engineering genius of John Browning. And today I am still astounded by all of the guns he designed. The fact that the Browning Machine Gun is still in use by our military worldwide is quite a benchmark.

kalashnikovfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Henry County

If you are interested here is the lowest price I could find for one.

Looked at one at the NRA show it is definitely on my list to buy now.

Top Bottom