• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The 1911 might be my favorite to shoot at the range, but I’d never carry one. IMO, they’re too finicky for EDC. If I had to carry a single stack .45 it would be the P220. They’re a bit heavier but far more reliable in my experience.
    Well what about for duty use? Out of curiosity which 1911’s have you experienced difficulty with?

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Well what about for duty use? Out of curiosity which 1911’s have you experienced difficulty with?

This was the worst. Allen had to do extensive work on a Springfield for me as well. I had a Kimber Aegis 2 that wouldn’t lock back on the last round. It also wouldn’t accept WC mags so there were FTF issues. Of the dozen or so I’ve owned, there are two that have never given me problems: the Springfield Garrison and the Sig Nightmare Carry. I know a lot of posters on here have more experience with that platform, but I’ve owned enough and put enough rounds down range to know I don’t trust them. Hell, it’s the only platform I can think of where you can spend $1K+ and the first thing you have to do to make sure it feeds properly is buy aftermarket magazines.

If you’re talking duty use, a .45 wouldn’t be my choice regardless of make. But if that’s your preferred caliber the the P220 is easily the better choice between the two. I’ve already mentioned reliability, it’s DA/SA so you don’t have to worry about a manual safety, it’s not a 1911 trigger but still very good, and recoil is more manageable.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

This was the worst. Allen had to do extensive work on a Springfield for me as well. I had a Kimber Aegis 2 that wouldn’t lock back on the last round. It also wouldn’t accept WC mags so there were FTF issues. Of the dozen or so I’ve owned, there are two that have never given me problems: the Springfield Garrison and the Sig Nightmare Carry. I know a lot of posters on here have more experience with that platform, but I’ve owned enough and put enough rounds down range to know I don’t trust them. Hell, it’s the only platform I can think of where you can spend $1K+ and the first thing you have to do to make sure it feeds properly is buy aftermarket magazines.

If you’re talking duty use, a .45 wouldn’t be my choice regardless of make. But if that’s your preferred caliber the the P220 is easily the better choice between the two. I’ve already mentioned reliability, it’s DA/SA so you don’t have to worry about a manual safety, it’s not a 1911 trigger but still very good, and recoil is more manageable.
    Variety is the spice of life. For me I have one platform and depend on it daily.

While not normally a fan of a manual safety I have lost track of time spent training with it and for me it just works.

Your mileage may vary.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Variety is the spice of life. For me I have one platform and depend on it daily.

While not normally a fan of a manual safety I have lost track of time spent training with it and for me it just works.

Your mileage may vary.
    If you trust it and you’re proficient with it, that’s all that really matters. I wish I could trust them because I get better groupings at a high rate of fire with some of my 1911s than I do with my EDC (9mm).

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I really like my Ruger Commander, but truth be told, I would take just about any quality brand striker fired polymer frame over any 1911 for either EDC or duty. Especially for duty use, meaning I'm actively looking for trouble. If restricted to 45 ACP, I'm going Glock 21 Gen 5 or maybe the new FN 545 for duty...my P320 45 Compact or a S&W M&P 45 Compact for EDC. No manual safeties for me.

I bought my Commander because I'm just about settled on my "working" gun collection and am branching out into my "cool, fun and BBQ gun" collection.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

Anyone familiar with Pilot Mountain 1911's?

Cannot say I have heard of them or seen them myself but for that price point just get a Wilson or Nighthawk IMHO. Also not a fan of their "bill board" slide engraving myself.

ak9sxxR.jpg

Failure drills with my Operator, the worst thing is the crazy price of 45 ammo now especially compared to 9mm, 10 yards standing firing as quickly as I could require my sight picture. The Trijicon HD's are nice but a bit too thick for my tastes , I really wish they made the HD XR variant for the 1911. That being said thinking really hard about sending the slide and an Aimpoint ACRO P-2 to Nighthawk and just putting a dot on everything.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been lucky with my 1911s. In more than a dozen over the years, I've not had a single one that I didn't trust. For me, it's Glocks that I've had the most issues with for a specific type handgun. G21s, G23s and G27s have all been good but I've had issues with G30s, G19s, G20s, and a G29. Even the new G33 is tossing brass at my head now.

It all just goes to show that any platform can be great or not so great. 1911s have definitely been on the great side for me. So far, classic Sigs have been near perfect in function as well. Enough so that when I'm feeling like carrying a single stack .45, it's more often in a SAO P220 Legion nowadays. It's lighter than a 1911 and doesn't have a grip safety.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I don’t carry or shoot my 1911 anymore BUT, I bought this Taurus PT1911 for $400 when they first came out. Out of the box, into competition. This one 1911 has never failed me and is super accurate.
    Targets from a PPC competition several years ago. Left is @7 yards, 12 shots 14 seconds, reload required. Right is @21 yards, 18 shots 75 seconds, 6 standing, 6 kneeling, 6 sitting, 2 mandatory reloads.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.jpeg
      IMG_1883.jpeg
      59.1 KB · Views: 6

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

Looks like the majority of the problems this gun had was the magazine. Wilson Combat magazine magazine seemed to fix that.

Saw that. I’m gonna send him some more of my LSWC to try for better accuracy. He has a Colt that likes them. I sent them to see if they would feed in the Colt because so many wouldn’t chamber them back in the day. It did and they shot really well!
    Check out this review and comparison between a Colt Competition Series and a Tisas. Look closely @ 7:50 ish in it….. lol

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Saw that. I’m gonna send him some more of my LSWC to try for better accuracy. He has a Colt that likes them. I sent them to see if they would feed in the Colt because so many wouldn’t chamber them back in the day. It did and they shot really well!
    Check out this review and comparison between a Colt Competition Series and a Tisas. Look closely @ 7:50 ish in it….. lol

So I'm a bit lost...did the definition of accuracy get changed or something? Last i knew, it ment you hit what you aimed at..which would be the center circle of the target. The cheaper tiasas pretty much did that compared to the high dollar colt.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    So I'm a bit lost...did the definition of accuracy get changed or something? Last i knew, it ment you hit what you aimed at..which would be the center circle of the target. The cheaper tiasas pretty much did that compared to the high dollar colt.
    Accuracy is NOT hitting the center of the target. THAT is sight adjustment and for different ammo the POI can be different for the same sight adjustment. Some pistols really act differently in that regard and are SUPER sensitive to OAL, bullet type, ogive radius, powder charge and other variations. Not taking time to readjust the sights from ammo to ammo has nothing to do with accuracy. Accuracy is 100% determined by group size.

Top Bottom