Kimber TLE II Stainless
    6994b4be.jpg

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Rock Island Armory M1911-A2 picked up today at Plainfield Shooting Supply. Notice the ugly hole in the center grip. The bottom pic shows my fix. Hard to find grips for these guys. Anyone have any sources they recommend. I understand Para-Ordinance P-14s are pretty much the same.

I didn't know that RIA needed "non-standard" grips! I put a pair of the Colt black rubber grips onto my RIA compact with no problems. I thought the RIA was close, if not at, USGI specs.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't know that RIA needed "non-standard" grips! I put a pair of the Colt black rubber grips onto my RIA compact with no problems. I thought the RIA was close, if not at, USGI specs.
    Look closer at the pistol, that is a wide-body, it's not a standard frame. ;)

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Look closer at the pistol, that is a wide-body, it's not a standard frame. ;)

Ah! And you can tell that by noticing the extra mass behind the trigger? Looking closer at it, the grip does look thicker. Then checking out Google confirms it...the A2 is a double stack!

Man, love this site! So much info...

Will-IB-Ready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Realized a long time dream today. Got a 1915 Colt 1911. Upper has been replaced at RIA with an Ithaca slide and High Standard barrel. Must have had some serious damage to it, but it looks great now. I"m so excited to hold in my hands a pistol that's almost 100 years old, served in two world wars and who knows how many battles since then! Collectors might shudder at the thought, but i can't wait to shoot it some!

Colt-Ithaca-right.jpg

Colt-Ithaca.jpg

Ok, excuse me while I wipe the drool from my beard...

Alright, I'm done.
    This is a great thread, but there's only one kind of 1911 still on my wish list, and you've got one.
    A Pre-WW2 military issue Colt.
    Congratulations!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    thanks! I'm pretty stoked about it myself.... Like I said, long time dream and now it's a reality!

Ok, excuse me while I wipe the drool from my beard...

Alright, I'm done.
    This is a great thread, but there's only one kind of 1911 still on my wish list, and you've got one.
    A Pre-WW2 military issue Colt.
    Congratulations!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Rock Island Armory M1911-A2 picked up today at Plainfield Shooting Supply. Notice the ugly hole in the center grip. The bottom pic shows my fix. Hard to find grips for these guys. Anyone have any sources they recommend. I understand Para-Ordinance P-14s are pretty much the same.

I believe those frames were made by Para Ordnance. They both use the same grip. Your "Fix" looks pretty good to me though! :yesway:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Realized a long time dream today. Got a 1915 Colt 1911. Upper has been replaced at RIA with an Ithaca slide and High Standard barrel. Must have had some serious damage to it, but it looks great now. I"m so excited to hold in my hands a pistol that's almost 100 years old, served in two world wars and who knows how many battles since then! Collectors might shudder at the thought, but i can't wait to shoot it some!

Colt-Ithaca-right.jpg

Colt-Ithaca.jpg
    Very nice. I have a 1918 that has been reblued and a couple Remington Rands. They are pretty sweet pistols. Is the slide stop original? It's hard to tell from the pic. :yesway:

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Very nice. I have a 1918 that has been reblued and a couple Remington Rands. They are pretty sweet pistols. Is the slide stop original? It's hard to tell from the pic. :yesway:

Yes, the slide stop is original. it's not been parkerized for some reason, it's still Colt's dull blue/black of the era

Top Bottom