• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last night I installed a new Kimber recoil assembly into the Compact ATII have. The old was definitely used up and hte bushing no longer supported the barrel a all in the forward position. No biggie, things wear out. Gun locks up better, returns to battery easier and seems to have a little less felt recoil than before.

This got me to thinking what other things I need to be on the lookout to replace? I'm far from a 'smith and I ain't no Tim, but I do love and carry my 1911's daily.

Also, the finish on this has gotten pretty beat up after 4 years of EDC literally every day. What finish holds up better?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Last night I installed a new Kimber recoil assembly into the Compact ATII have. The old was definitely used up and hte bushing no longer supported the barrel a all in the forward position. No biggie, things wear out. Gun locks up better, returns to battery easier and seems to have a little less felt recoil than before.

This got me to thinking what other things I need to be on the lookout to replace? I'm far from a 'smith and I ain't no Tim, but I do love and carry my 1911's daily.

Also, the finish on this has gotten pretty beat up after 4 years of EDC literally every day. What finish holds up better?
    See AllenM for a cerakote treatment. He and CM had enough time in 1911's to know when something isn't up to snuff and I'm sure a trip to Avon would yield good results.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm a 1911 guy, but I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber ATII. Would you please explain the recoil assembly and hte bushing.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Keep a eye on your link and extractor also. As you stated things wear out.
    I second a trip to see AllenM, you won't regret it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm a 1911 guy, but I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber ATII. Would you please explain the recoil assembly and hte bushing.
    Part number 4000465

Allen fixed a loose front sight on my 5" Springer a few years ago. Good man.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I had my Kimber Stainless Compact, I put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring kit in it. It improved the feel of the gun and greatly lengthened the recoil spring change interval. I have not done the same to my DW CCO but might look into that when the time comes.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I had my Kimber Stainless Compact, I put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring kit in it. It improved the feel of the gun and greatly lengthened the recoil spring change interval. I have not done the same to my DW CCO but might look into that when the time comes.
    Would those work with a Rock Island 10mm?
    I ask as a 1911 novice.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a fan of getting the firing pin and extractor out about every 500 rounds to clean the channels. Dawson Precision has a nice extractor removal tool that compresses the lip so you can gently pry it out. Their website pics don't give a good indication of how it works, but it's fairly straight-forward once you have it in hand.
    Dawson Extractor Removal Tool

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No particular order as I have broken everything:

Firing pin stop

Extractor

Firing pin

Slide stop

Sear

Barrel Link

I think those are the top wear items I would monitor, but I have broken nearly everything on a 1911.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Recoil springs are the number 1 part that I replace about every 1k rounds. Firing pin return spring and mainspring are usually done at the same time, but not always. I keep a close eye on magazine springs too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Firing pin stops usually break in half, leaving a top half and bottom half. That is a good part to inspect after each range session, if you shoot your 1911 a lot. It is a good spare part to have on hand, as well as, extractor and recoil spring cap (they go flying on occasion).

Top Bottom