• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last night I installed a new Kimber recoil assembly into the Compact ATII have. The old was definitely used up and hte bushing no longer supported the barrel a all in the forward position. No biggie, things wear out. Gun locks up better, returns to battery easier and seems to have a little less felt recoil than before.

This got me to thinking what other things I need to be on the lookout to replace? I'm far from a 'smith and I ain't no Tim, but I do love and carry my 1911's daily.

Also, the finish on this has gotten pretty beat up after 4 years of EDC literally every day. What finish holds up better?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Last night I installed a new Kimber recoil assembly into the Compact ATII have. The old was definitely used up and hte bushing no longer supported the barrel a all in the forward position. No biggie, things wear out. Gun locks up better, returns to battery easier and seems to have a little less felt recoil than before.

This got me to thinking what other things I need to be on the lookout to replace? I'm far from a 'smith and I ain't no Tim, but I do love and carry my 1911's daily.

Also, the finish on this has gotten pretty beat up after 4 years of EDC literally every day. What finish holds up better?
    See AllenM for a cerakote treatment. He and CM had enough time in 1911's to know when something isn't up to snuff and I'm sure a trip to Avon would yield good results.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm a 1911 guy, but I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber ATII. Would you please explain the recoil assembly and hte bushing.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Keep a eye on your link and extractor also. As you stated things wear out.
    I second a trip to see AllenM, you won't regret it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm a 1911 guy, but I'm unfamiliar with the Kimber ATII. Would you please explain the recoil assembly and hte bushing.
    Part number 4000465

Allen fixed a loose front sight on my 5" Springer a few years ago. Good man.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I had my Kimber Stainless Compact, I put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring kit in it. It improved the feel of the gun and greatly lengthened the recoil spring change interval. I have not done the same to my DW CCO but might look into that when the time comes.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When I had my Kimber Stainless Compact, I put a Wilson flat wire recoil spring kit in it. It improved the feel of the gun and greatly lengthened the recoil spring change interval. I have not done the same to my DW CCO but might look into that when the time comes.
    Would those work with a Rock Island 10mm?
    I ask as a 1911 novice.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm a fan of getting the firing pin and extractor out about every 500 rounds to clean the channels. Dawson Precision has a nice extractor removal tool that compresses the lip so you can gently pry it out. Their website pics don't give a good indication of how it works, but it's fairly straight-forward once you have it in hand.
    Dawson Extractor Removal Tool

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No particular order as I have broken everything:

Firing pin stop

Extractor

Firing pin

Slide stop

Sear

Barrel Link

I think those are the top wear items I would monitor, but I have broken nearly everything on a 1911.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Recoil springs are the number 1 part that I replace about every 1k rounds. Firing pin return spring and mainspring are usually done at the same time, but not always. I keep a close eye on magazine springs too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Firing pin stops usually break in half, leaving a top half and bottom half. That is a good part to inspect after each range session, if you shoot your 1911 a lot. It is a good spare part to have on hand, as well as, extractor and recoil spring cap (they go flying on occasion).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom