• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Colt m1911a1 frame with all Wilson Combat upgrades...night sights, threaded barrel. 900$

Springfield TRP 1399$

Thoughts?

First 1911 purchase

Reactions: Leo

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was leaning TRP, but wanted a threaded barrel, so I would be spending more initially to spend more later on a barrel

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you cannot shoot a customized pistol, I would stay away from it.

We have all seen people buy a new pistol that works fine in some kind of action pistol match. Then we see that he has bought all kinds of hot rod parts, and he has jam ups at every stage, even though it looks pretty good.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you cannot shoot a customized pistol, I would stay away from it.

We have all seen people buy a new pistol that works fine in some kind of action pistol match. Then we see that he has bought all kinds of hot rod parts, and he has jam ups at every stage, even though it looks pretty good.
    So TRP?

I am leaning that way.....but 1399 seems a little high for used.....1100-1200 seems fair..

what do 1911ers think though, am I being too cheap?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good Pistols have gotten a lot higher priced in the last few years. As the new prices go up, so do the used. As you already know, looking at classifieds, most good pistols in good shape are selling for pretty much what new price was 10 years ago.

It looks to me like a TRP has everything a guy could want. When comparing the price, consider the cost of paying a gunsmith to make the modifications to a plain handgun. About 35 years ago I sent out a New Springfield for upgrades / modifications to famous name gunsmith shops. When I was done I had a pistol that shot as good as a Les Baer Premier II. It looked good too, except I had 50% more money spent than just buying a Les Baer right out of the box.

I would buy the TRP and not mod it. Shoot it, clean it oil it and shoot it some more. If the world is around in 10 more years you will still have a great pistol that is worth what you paid for it. You only have to pay once. New is $1750 plus tax. and they are out of stock.

Good Luck

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    TRP. If it is used it should be shot in by now. MIM parts need to be ran in and married. Good mags and no :bs: cheap ammo. Run it like you hate it.
    I agree with the responses that unless you know who did the work step around those pieces. I/we have seen some really spooky work.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    TRP. If it is used it should be shot in by now. MIM parts need to be ran in and married. Good mags and no :bs: cheap ammo. Run it like you hate it.
    I agree with the responses that unless you know who did the work step around those pieces. I/we have seen some really spooky work.
    It's stainless...I just wish it was 200$ cheaper.....maybe if I drink a beer or two first.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm no 1911 junkie so I just want a high quality stock item at a reasonable price, not cheap just to have one....

Top Bottom