• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Ok - got a little cocky after the successful safety check. Attempted to install the ejector today. Bent the pin all to H-E-double-hockey sticks. Have another one on the way. Any secret to getting this thing to go in straight? I used the bench block and a pin-start punch. Open to suggestions...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok - got a little cocky after the successful safety check. Attempted to install the ejector today. Bent the pin all to H-E-double-hockey sticks. Have another one on the way. Any secret to getting this thing to go in straight? I used the bench block and a pin-start punch. Open to suggestions...

I have a serious set if number/letter/fraction drills. If I meet the resistance you did I chuck the frame up in the press squared up to the center axis. Find the absolute closest bit size to the pin without going over. Take your sweet time and clean up the holes/ejector pin. Was/is the pin on the ejector clearanced for the pin...???

I have seen a few that are not.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Still watching.
    when your project is complete please post pictures.
    maybe a brief evaluation of time and cost for tools and materials.
    sounds like you are making excellent progress!

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Still watching.
    when your project is complete please post pictures.
    maybe a brief evaluation of time and cost for tools and materials.
    sounds like you are making excellent progress!

That'd be fun, though if my wife ever discovers this forum...

I'm at a standstill right now, waiting on a plunger tube. Originally, I'd intended to use a stainless one, to match the thumb-safety and slide-release. However, I think it's better for the tube to match the frame.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That'd be fun, though if my wife ever discovers this forum...

I'm at a standstill right now, waiting on a plunger tube. Originally, I'd intended to use a stainless one, to match the thumb-safety and slide-release. However, I think it's better for the tube to match the frame.

Do you have a plunger tube staking tool?

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Do you have a plunger tube staking tool?

I do, in fact, have one.

Unfortunately, I've got a different problem. I ordered an OWD DeSantis holster. It has arrived and it is not for a full-sized 1911, rather for a Commander. Obviously, I have only one choice...

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I do, in fact, have one.

Unfortunately, I've got a different problem. I ordered an OWD DeSantis holster. It has arrived and it is not for a full-sized 1911, rather for a Commander. Obviously, I have only one choice...

... so are you going to post up pics of the commander build too?

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I haven’t done any gunsmithing yet myself, but I have found this thread very informative.

Thank you for sharing!

When I started this project, I viewed it as an opportunity to save some dough on a 1911 by assembling it myself. Nope. It will end up costing me more. However, I have learned more in the last 2 months about how this firearm operates than everything I knew previously. And since the majority of pistols around the world draw from elements of Browning's designs, I've taken a giant leap in my understanding of firearms, in general. Granted, I still know a pittance next to many INGOers, but I'm closing the gap :):

As a pistol, this project will come in over budget. But as an educational exercise, it has been a bargain!

Also, having access to CM and drillsgt and their wealth of experience has been excellent. The little nudges they have given me (publicly and privately) have saved me untold grief, trying to troubleshoot problems.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Got the Ejector installed. Had to cut the relief in it for the pin. This was more of a challenge than I expected (to do with any level of precision. I cut it with a small file. For any future builds, I will look for pre-cut ejectors. I am not sure what the advantage would be of doing this oneself. I get fitting the barrel, thumb-safety, rails, bushing, etc. But, the ejector? Seems like the chances of cutting that to a better fit with a small file is unlikely.

What am I missing?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the Ejector installed. Had to cut the relief in it for the pin. This was more of a challenge than I expected (to do with any level of precision. I cut it with a small file. For any future builds, I will look for pre-cut ejectors. I am not sure what the advantage would be of doing this oneself. I get fitting the barrel, thumb-safety, rails, bushing, etc. But, the ejector? Seems like the chances of cutting that to a better fit with a small file is unlikely.

What am I missing?

Custom fit is exactly that. I had an ejector that would lift up on occasion and interfere with the slide just enough to pi$$ ,me off. Took a bit to figure it out. It was a precut piece. And the F-pin block was an oversized hand fit piece. I have a process to fit them now.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Custom fit is exactly that. I had an ejector that would lift up on occasion and interfere with the slide just enough to pi$$ ,me off. Took a bit to figure it out. It was a precut piece. And the F-pin block was an oversized hand fit piece. I have a process to fit them now.

I'm listening, because the one I just installed is able to lift just like you described.
    IMG_2547.JPG

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm listening, because the one I just installed is able to lift just like you described.

I described one of the ways up thread with the numerical drills.
    I have a set of files that are perfect to do this if you are not up to jigging the frame up in a prober press.

Push the extractor all the way in and secure it in some fashion. Take a punch that fits exactly in the cross drilled hole for the pin and mark the pin on the extractor.
    Using the patience I know you have acquired in this build start removing material a bit at a time. My file set has small round files for these things. Keep putting it back in the frame and look though the hole with a back light and you will know when you are close. Tedious....yes. Part of the process.....yes.

Brownells has these file sets. I have 2 of them just because.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I described one of the ways up thread with the numerical drills.
    I have a set of files that are perfect to do this if you are not up to jigging the frame up in a prober press.

Push the extractor all the way in and secure it in some fashion. Take a punch that fits exactly in the cross drilled hole for the pin and mark the pin on the extractor.
    Using the patience I know you have acquired in this build start removing material a bit at a time. My file set has small round files for these things. Keep putting it back in the frame and look though the hole with a back light and you will know when you are close. Tedious....yes. Part of the process.....yes.

Brownells has these file sets. I have 2 of them just because.

Patience I have. I need to develop some skill with the file.

Marking the pin with a punch is a good idea. Will need to keep that in mind.

Also, the finish on the ejector was flaking off. I am surprised. All the other bits I have gotten from Wilson Combat have been good.

Top Bottom