1911 build

johny5

not a shill account
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 3, 2014
Indianapolis
I have embarked on my first 1911 build. I am fitting the barrel bushing. The barrel fits inside the bushing, but it is so tight that it is difficult to pull the slide back, by hand. Should I leave it this snug? Will it break in? Or, should I ream it out just a smidge more?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
Well this is gonna be fun......Yes that is way too tight. This is why they call it fitting the barrel/bushing.
Will the bushing fit in the slide....????

johny5

not a shill account
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 3, 2014
Indianapolis
Well this is gonna be fun......Yes that is way too tight. This is why they call it fitting the barrel/bushing.

Yes. Slide, barrel and frame are assembled. It is just still snug around the barrel. Sounds like I need to ream it out a bit more.

Also, I'm using Wilson Combat stuff. Seems like they've got a pretty good reputation for quality. Have others had that experience, or am I falling victim to good marketing?

Last edited:

NHT3

Master
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Apr 12, 2009
Bargerswood
We're on the same train CM.. My first thought before I read your post was "that's why they call it fitting". :draw:You're quicker on the draw than I am:):

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

johny5

not a shill account
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 3, 2014
Indianapolis
We're on the same train CM.. My first thought before I read your post was "that's why they call it fitting". :draw:You're quicker on the draw than I am:):

Fair enough.I had to ream it a decent amount just to get the it onto the barrel. Was not quite sure how snug to leave it. I figure it should be snugger than the fit on my RIA.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
Fair enough.I had to ream it a decent amount just to get the it onto the barrel. Was not quite sure how snug to leave it. I figure it should be snugger than the fit on my RIA.

Remember that things get hot. Clearances close up. Too loose is loss of accuracy and to tight will gall the barrel.

How are you reaming it out for clearance. Remaining dead center is imperative.
Barrel makers will have a spec they want you to adhere to.

Wilson is "OK" stuff. Not the end all any more as other company's have upped the bar. You will be happy with what you have chosen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
177   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
No way! I'm only building one and that's it. Well, not more than two... :hooked:

I have 2 in process right now. :nailbite:

If you have some Vernier's Measure up that RIA as in barrel OD and bushing ID
Get the spec the Wilson wants you to use and see what the dif is.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Nov 29, 2009
Greenfield
Remember the barrel/bushing fit can't be so tight that it can't tilt ever so slightly when it locks and unlocks. Look up 'barrel springing'.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
Advertiser
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Apr 20, 2008
Avon
Short answer is ream it a little looser. the barrel needs to be allowed to tilt as it goes into battery. The barrel should lockup into the bushing about same time or a smidge before it locks up on the barrel lugs.

johny5

not a shill account
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Apr 3, 2014
Indianapolis
I just laid a file to the frame to fit the grip safety. Fist time I've ever removed metal from a gun - not terribly comfortable with it. MosinVirus makes it look so easy...

Top Bottom