• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffforpresident

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Nov 12, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I am embarrassingly behind in this. I did just get a sawyer mini for water and 30 day food supply from mountain house, at least it’s a start. I’m gonna put together a 72 hr bag for the family this week and start going over potential disasters that we would face and specifically prepping for those.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I am embarrassingly behind in this. I did just get a sawyer mini for water and 30 day food supply from mountain house, at least it’s a start. I’m gonna put together a 72 hr bag for the family this week and start going over potential disasters that we would face and specifically prepping for those.
    Mite I suggest some reading material. Both fiction but full of ideas. Prioritize as you deem necessary.

W R Forstchen, One Second After
    J W Rawles, Patriot

Both posit situations and some possibilities for preparation.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where does one put that much water? Seems like a portable filter would be more prudent?

These were suggested here years ago to me. Love them…

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Yes we have the Berkey as well.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where does one put that much water? Seems like a portable filter would be more prudent?
    Got it, then to answer your question literally, 20 cases of 40 liter bottles of spring water will give 2 people a 90 day minimum supply of 3 liters a day, and the Berkey covers the needs beyond that…

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have the Berkey also… impressed how long the filters last especially in hard water and I like that they never stop “filtering” they just slow down. Have been using the same filters for well over a year. Just looked at my receipt and it is 2 years now and they are just now slowing and I have no tried cleaning spraying them off.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have the Berkey also… impressed how long the filters last especially in hard water and I like that they never stop “filtering” they just slow down. Have been using the same filters for well over a year. Just looked at my receipt and it is 2 years now and they are just now slowing and I have no tried cleaning spraying them off.
    Crazy how much the filters have gone up. Last I bought and was 2020 and was paying about $110, lowest price I saw was $160. They used to say they filter 10,000 but that is gone, likely got sued when some a****** could not filter 10,000 gallons of raw sewage. LOL

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I use Doulton Sterasyl candle filter elements (with silver) in a setup that includes 2 x 5 gallon buckets. Not stainless and shiny, but does the same job cheaper. Also have several packs of pool shock that can either make bleach for sterilizing or purify thousands of gallons water.

And have a home-made PVC "bucket" for bringing water up from the well (after the electric pump is pulled).

So we have 4 water sources - well, lake, river, rainwater.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I use Doulton Sterasyl candle filter elements (with silver) in a setup that includes 2 x 5 gallon buckets. Not stainless and shiny, but does the same job cheaper. Also have several packs of pool shock that can either make bleach for sterilizing or purify thousands of gallons water.

And have a home-made PVC "bucket" for bringing water up from the well (after the electric pump is pulled).

So we have 4 water sources - well, lake, river, rainwater.
    Well done. Jealous over the variety of water sources…

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You don’t eat without a water source.
    Concur. Water and heat/cool/shelter are all required to "buy time" to solve the food problem.

Raise your hand if you have ever been in a critical situation regarding hydration and water supply........

In the first week, food is not an "actively dying" priority, but water is, in my experience, critical in less than 24 hours, and a lot less than 12 in the desert.

That's not a long time to "work out a solution", especially when paired with deteriorating mental function, much less the "fog of war" decision making that is usually a precursor to logical pondering.

Only experience and training can shorten the timeline of stupidity/ignorance/unnecessary risk until you sit down and say

"Fu**. I'm in trouble. Let me think through this."

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

We filter the pondwater with ours now. It sat in the basement for a couple years but filters for the R/O system started to add up so we started using the Birkey.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Didn’t need it last year, the year before that, the year before that and so on.
    A years worth seems pretty extreme to be honest.
    What would be a more realistic/‘normal’ expectation?

Top Bottom