• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm of the opinion that the Bill of Rights ensures that we can remain secure in our serial numbers against unreasonable number checks. Speeding is hardly probable cause of gun theft.

ETA: Oops, not speeding. Insufficient taxes collected on his vehicle registration.

Amendment IV.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Did the OP contest or have issue with the officer checking his firearm? If so, you'd be correct. If not, a person who complies with a request is hardly having their rights trampled upon.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    No joke people. The LEO asked and OP let him with no issues. There were nothing negative about the encounter that the OP spoke of yet you still find ish to gripe about.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm of the opinion that the Bill of Rights ensures that we can remain secure in our serial numbers against unreasonable number checks. Speeding is hardly probable cause of gun theft.

Look, he had a nice date. Thinking ruins memories.

Da Bing

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Did the OP contest or have issue with the officer checking his firearm? If so, you'd be correct. If not, a person who complies with a request is hardly having their rights trampled upon.
    Exactly. The OP willfully gave up his 4th amendment rights.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Got pulled over about an hour ago. Forgot to renew my plates. The officer Walks up to my window and introduces himself and goes through his speel ends up giving me a warning.(+1) makes note of my "dont tread on me" sticker and states that is a very good policy (+1) then he notices my LTCH as I'm putting my dl away and ask if I'm carrying (he seems like a nice guy so I answer his questions) he asked for me to step out of the car so he can run its numbers (no problem) he unloads it and lays mag, round, and knife neatly on my little counsel. Comes back and asked If I'm a good shot with it (of course I am) and lays it safely on my middle conseal again (+1) and then states " I respect your 2nd amendment rights..." (+1000000) we shake hands, part ways, he goes home safe and so do I

NO COP BASHING
    That's cool. No reason to be a hard arse with em.:yesway:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Hold on a sec. If I am reading this correctly, you allowed him to enter your car to retrieve your weapon? You, sir, are a braver man than I.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    What are you in possession of that is identified by a serial number.
    Guns, and cars. If it would allow a single person to get their gun back I would let every Leo in the tri-state area to run my numbers. Especially if they treat my property with as much respect as this one did
    Their was no die-assembling other then the mag taken out.
    No rounds emptied except for the one in the chamber .
    And gun wasn't waved around or thrown in the back seat.

Also I did not ask any opinions on the matter just gave credit where I feel it was due

My car
    My gun(s)
    My phone
    My car stereo
    My mp3 player
    My laptop
    My Internet tablet

Not trying to start a fight, but you are missing the point here, or avoiding it..

Would you have allowed him to run everything in your vehicle that had a serial number through the "system"
    "If it would allow a single person to get their [possessions] back"
    ? :dunno:

You may not have asked for opinions, but this is a Public Forum, did you honestly expect NOT to get opinions? lol

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Another argument to that line of reasoning, let's say for the sake of argument that your gun does come back stolen. Do you honestly think that the officer is gonna let it slide, or will he charge you with possession of stolen property?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Got pulled over about an hour ago. Forgot to renew my plates. The officer Walks up to my window and introduces himself and goes through his speel ends up giving me a warning.(+1) makes note of my "dont tread on me" sticker and states that is a very good policy (+1) then he notices my LTCH as I'm putting my dl away and ask if I'm carrying (he seems like a nice guy so I answer his questions) he asked for me to step out of the car so he can run its numbers (no problem) he unloads it and lays mag, round, and knife neatly on my little counsel. Comes back and asked If I'm a good shot with it (of course I am) and lays it safely on my middle conseal again (+1) and then states " I respect your 2nd amendment rights..." (+1000000) we shake hands, part ways, he goes home safe and so do I

NO COP BASHING

I agree with and commend you on your actions and response to the LEO. +1 for you.

You could have easily stood firm on your rights granted by the fourth amendment, but instead you decided to keep the situation 'friendly'. To me that promotes the notion that gun owners are responsible citizens.

On the other hand had he ordered me from my vehicle and demanded I surrender my gun for a serial number check I would have demanded that he get a warrant and prove probable cause to do so.

So...+1 for you and the NPD officer!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't think any rights were violated. And I don't see it as the OP "giving up" his rights.

The OP was met with respect and kindness from the start. The cop states be likes the OP NRA sticker. He's obviously FOR citizens carrying. And he ASKS the OP if he can run the serial numbers. The OP, not seeing anything wrong with that, decides to let him. Sure, he could have told the cop to go "F"'himself. But he chose to be respectful as well. He had nothing to hide. And the cop asked, not demanded.

The OP had a good experience.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Sounds like a resonably polite and professional experience. However, I'm with a few other here, once the LTCH is produced, conversation over. "Have a nice day sir, go get those plates taken care of" No reason to allow ANYONE inside your vehicle, or to have your gun.

The officer was doing his job, professionally, he asked to see the gun. The OP granted him permission to do so, thus waiving his rights. The officer then continued with "running the numbers" professionally....

AnyWoo all is well that ends well I suppose ??????

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If the OP wishes to wave his rights then that's his choice. I just don't understand that if everything went so well and the officer stated that he respects your 2A rights and after the LTCH was spotted why there was a need to disarm and unload and run the numbers :dunno:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    If the OP wishes to wave his rights then that's his choice. I just don't understand that if everything went so well and the officer stated that he respects your 2A rights and after the LTCH was spotted why there was a need to disarm and unload and run the numbers :dunno:

This^^^ :yesway:

I don't know that I would go as far as accuse the cop of trampling on the OP's rights, but I really see no need to run the serial numbers. Do cops run the VIN of every vehicle they stop to see if it is stolen? It would be easy to take the plate and registration from a similar car and put it in a stolen car.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Producing the LTCH - could have stopped there.
    Out of vehicle and separated from the handgun - could have stopped there.
    Officer asked to retrieve the gun - could have stopped there.
    Etc.

Was this a perfect 2nd Amendment encounter - no.
    Was is a bad encounter - no.

OP was in the wrong for driving on expired plates. Officer was doing his job. Sounds like a reasonable interaction between two reasonable people that ended well for both.

Top Bottom