• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Got pulled over about an hour ago. Forgot to renew my plates. The officer Walks up to my window and introduces himself and goes through his speel ends up giving me a warning.(+1) makes note of my "dont tread on me" sticker and states that is a very good policy (+1) then he notices my LTCH as I'm putting my dl away and ask if I'm carrying (he seems like a nice guy so I answer his questions) he asked for me to step out of the car so he can run its numbers (no problem) he unloads it and lays mag, round, and knife neatly on my little counsel. Comes back and asked If I'm a good shot with it (of course I am) and lays it safely on my middle conseal again (+1) and then states " I respect your 2nd amendment rights..." (+1000000) we shake hands, part ways, he goes home safe and so do I

NO COP BASHING

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    :postpics:

I want to see a picture of the back of your neck!
    Are you sure your not just making this up?
    You must have just bought Doughnuts and that why he let you go.
    It must be some kind of trap to throw us all off-guard!!

Be Careful out there. :nailbite:

TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Just curious .. were you carrying it in a holster or was it somewhere in your vehicle? If it was on your person, did you have him pull it out of the the holster or did you pull it out and hand it to him?

I've thought about what I would do in a similar situation. If the officer wanted to unload the weapon to make him/herself feel safer, I'm pretty sure I'd ask them to remove it from the holster.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    no holster in a compartment under my radio. I told him where it was after he asked me. I keep the deep concealment holster on my body

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm glad you had a good experience.

Not trying to cop bash or call him a JBT, but did he give a reason for running the serial numbers on your gun? Seems to me if he stopped you for expired tags, and he wrote you a warning for that, then the stop should have been over. Simply possessing a firearm in your vehicle does not suggest that you have stolen it. If you ask me, everything went well with the exception of that one point.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I count it as doing his job. Like the people checking checkout slips when we leave sams or Costco
    I have no issue with this practice and the LEO was very respectful the whole time

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    He violated the edict set by the Indiana Supreme Court. Once the LTCH is presented, the questioning is over. No running the numbers, no dragging you out of your car. No further inquiry required.

No bashing, just stating fact.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    If your gun was stolen would you want it back?
    What if it was sold to a LTCH holder .... you'd never get it back.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If your gun was stolen would you want it back?
    What if it was sold to a LTCH holder .... you'd never get it back.

Might as well have the police run the numbers on every possession you have in the car. You would want your stuff back, right?? Why stop with the car, let's have them search our residences too.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I've just moved back to Indy from Georgia and quite a few of the members on Georgia Packing are adamant that this is a strong reason not to store the (GWCL/LTCH) behind your drivers license as it can only raise more problems than it will solve. Personally, I carry my GWCL in my wallet but it's not in view if I need to remove my drivers license.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Might as well have the police run the numbers on every possession you have in the car. You would want your stuff back, right?? Why stop with the car, let's have them search our residences too.

What are you in possession of that is identified by a serial number.
    Guns, and cars. If it would allow a single person to get their gun back I would let every Leo in the tri-state area to run my numbers. Especially if they treat my property with as much respect as this one did
    Their was no die-assembling other then the mag taken out.
    No rounds emptied except for the one in the chamber .
    And gun wasn't waved around or thrown in the back seat.

Also I did not ask any opinions on the matter just gave credit where I feel it was due

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Guns, and cars. If it would allow a single person to get their gun back I would let every Leo in the tri-state area to run my numbers. Especially if they treat my property with as much respect as this one did

Shoot, you're right. I'm sorry.

First, require federal serial numbers on every possession.

THEN allow random searches of all possessions.

Problem solved.

If it would allow a single person to get their xbox back I would let every LEO in the tri-state area search my home.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Their was no die-assembling other then the mag taken out.
    No rounds emptied except for the one in the chamber .
    And gun wasn't waved around or thrown in the back seat.

Also I did not ask any opinions on the matter just gave credit where I feel it was due

Which is why I only posted facts. The INSC says that's a no-no.

Ok, so technically when they said that, they put it in a court decision generally called an opinion. :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Explain please.

I'm of the opinion that the Bill of Rights ensures that we can remain secure in our serial numbers against unreasonable number checks. Speeding is hardly probable cause of gun theft.

ETA: Oops, not speeding. Insufficient taxes collected on his vehicle registration.

Amendment IV.
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

trip9901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have had a few great encounters with LE but only one not so great.
    glad to hear of another good one. sounded like he may have been a menber of INGO?? :shady:

Top Bottom