• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Or if the deputy just did his job and asked the guy if he what I said he did…..you know do some investigating

I’m fairly confident that the person admitted what he did to the deputy, deputy just didn’t care to enforce the law.
    You do know there are very few "Must enforce" laws on the books right? They have discretion on enforcing almost everything, only ones I can think of off hand that they don't have discretion on is OWI and domestic violence. And domestic violence is one of the very few misdemeanors they can arrest without actually witnessing it. So the officer was well within his rights and probably the rules of his boss by not enforcing it. I'm sure his job description doesn't include enforcing every misdemeanor that gets reported. And once again he couldn't do anything to the guy right then and there.

And if you're fairly confident the guy admitted what he did to the deputy, wouldn't that constitute him doing his job and asking the guy?

And do you think he admitted to intentionally or knowingly interfering with your hunt? You could have been out in the woods for a variety of reasons.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You do know there are very few "Must enforce" laws on the books right? They have discretion on enforcing almost everything, only ones I can think of off hand that they don't have discretion on is OWI and domestic violence. And domestic violence is one of the very few misdemeanors they can arrest without actually witnessing it. So the officer was well within his rights and probably the rules of his boss by not enforcing it. I'm sure his job description doesn't include enforcing every misdemeanor that gets reported. And once again he couldn't do anything to the guy right then and there.

And if you're fairly confident the guy admitted what he did to the deputy, wouldn't that constitute him doing his job and asking the guy?

And do you think he admitted to intentionally or knowingly interfering with your hunt? You could have been out in the woods for a variety of reasons.
    if I **** in your cheerios and the cop who shows up tells you to move your bowl………..

Im sure this is the tune you would be singing

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think we've covered this on INGO multiple times. It does not matter. This is not an issue of establishing probable cause. An officer must witness it, period. If not, no outright arrest is legal. A PC must be presented to a judge for a warrant. If an arrest warrant is granted, THEN an arrest can be made.
    Ok

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think we've covered this on INGO multiple times. It does not matter. This is not an issue of establishing probable cause. An officer must witness it, period. If not, no outright arrest is legal. A PC must be presented to a judge for a warrant. If an arrest warrant is granted, THEN an arrest can be made.
    I seem to remember the prosecutor and judge in a jury I say instructing the jury that eyewitness testimony was all that is required for a felony conviction……

I’m sure they didn’t know what they were talking about though.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I seem to remember the prosecutor and judge in a jury I was eventually dismissed from instructing the jury that eyewitness testimony was all that is required for a felony conviction……

What does a felony conviction have to do with the manner of arrest?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Morale of the story: if you have issues hunting call DNR even if it’s seems like an unsafe situation. Local PD might just make it worse.

What say you INGO? Do you want the easy solution or the one consistent with the law?

More context to come later. Someone else broke the law and ruined my hunt.they Walked down a logging road on public property yelling about how I was on private road/property and just otherwise intentionally being loud to ruin my hunt. Responding officer was a gem who told me he wasn’t going to do anything about the hunter harassment because that wasn’t the easy solution. It’s not normal for me to want to film police interaction but when I saw this going sideways and the officer got aggressive I thought it might be in my best interest.

why have LEO’s if they won’t give you a solution consistent with the law?

https://youtube.com/shorts/J3I-cwyAcjg?feature=share
    Was there something preventing you from pulling forward so you weren't partially blocking what appeared to be an access point to the road?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I seem to remember the prosecutor and judge in a jury I was eventually dismissed from instructing the jury that eyewitness testimony was all that is required for a felony conviction……

And it's completely irrelevant to what I said. Again, probable cause has nothing to do with misdemeanor arrest rules. It is NOT A MATTER OF EVIDENCE. It IS NOT ABOUT IF THE COP BELIEVES YOU. The suspct can admit to it at the scene and it does not matter. It is *the law* that an outright arrest can't be made for non-exception misdemeanors that a sworn officer does not personally witness. Only warrant arrests are allowable for non-witnessed non-exception misdemeanors.

If you're going to be a ****, at least know what you're talking about.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    And it's completely irrelevant to what I said. Again, probable cause has nothing to do with misdemeanor arrest rules. It is NOT A MATTER OF EVIDENCE. It IS NOT ABOUT IF THE COP BELIEVES YOU. The suspct can admit to it at the scene and it does not matter. It is *the law* that an outright arrest can't be made for non-exception misdemeanors that a sworn officer does not personally witness. Only warrant arrests are allowable for non-witnessed non-exception misdemeanors.

If you're going to be a ****, at least know what you're talking about.
    And then there is that truthful and credible part too.....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Layman's version: https://cardellalawoffice.com/student-information/search-and-seizure/misdemeanor-arrest-rule/

for those who would like to understand arrest laws for the state.

Funny how the "ACAB" guy wants the police to ignore the law when it's for something he wants.
    Oh the irony is strong.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have two neighbors that have blinds 10 yards from the fence line. I know they hunt on my ground, but there's not a lot I can do about it. During gun season I want to be hunting instead of patrolling, so the gardener usually takes a run on the ridge on her ATV if she hears shots to see if they are dragging deer back across the line.

Generally I have less trouble during deer season from hunters in the HNF, it a long way to drag a deer back to the access point and they are scared of the drug dealers.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lots of public land hunters and law&order types here. Some of y’all have more in common with the blue haired antifa rioters than you want to admit.

Funny how the "ACAB" guy wants the police to ignore the law when it's for something he wants.
    Nothing in that says that guy can’t or shouldn’t be charged. The officer refused, hence cops are useless. This one in particular was more useless than **** on a bull. A Leo had a chance to uphold the law and not be a jackass but choose to do what was “easy” per his own words.

If it’s an unarrestable offense then maybe take a minute to inform the injured party of that instead of using aggressive tactics to further harm the injured party.

Police have a public image problem and this guys sound bite isnt gonna help it any.

Top Bottom