• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Morale of the story: if you have issues hunting call DNR even if it’s seems like an unsafe situation. Local PD might just make it worse.

What say you INGO? Do you want the easy solution or the one consistent with the law?

More context to come later. Someone else broke the law and ruined my hunt. Responding officer was a gem who told me he wasn’t going to do anything about the hunter harassment because that wasn’t the easy solution. It’s not normal for me to want to film police interaction but when I saw this going sideways and the officer got aggressive I thought it might be in my best interest.

why have LEO’s if they won’t give you a solution consistent with the law?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Not enforcing the law is how we get riots in downtown Indianapolis. Throw the book at them!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Only context needed is a citizen asked for a resolution that was consistent with the law and the deputy plainly said “well your not gonna get that”
    It's a misdemeanor the officer can't generally cite unless he witnesses it all he can do is file a report and wait for the prosecutor. There are a few exceptions, but very few. And unless he witnessed it, it would be your word against theirs. You think a prosecutor is going to take a low level misdemeanor on a case like that?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    dis-gon-b-gud-lawn-chair.gif

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's a misdemeanor the officer can't generally cite unless he witnesses it all he can do is file a report and wait for the prosecutor. There are a few exceptions, but very few. And unless he witnessed it, it would be your word against theirs. You think a prosecutor is going to take a low level misdemeanor on a case like that?
    How about if he went back and had a witness the next time? Maybe one with a video camera to record the harassment?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How about if he went back and had a witness the next time? Maybe one with a video camera to record the harassment?
    Or if the deputy just did his job and asked the guy if he what I said he did…..you know do some investigating

I’m fairly confident that the person admitted what he did to the deputy, deputy just didn’t care to enforce the law.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    View attachment 233589 I'm confused and in the 'wait for more context' camp.
    How did the cop get involved? Did you call? If so did you call the non-emergency number?
    Waiting to hear what the CO comes up with. He said he would pull body cam footage from the deputy to see if the person admitted to what would constitute harassment under indiana code.

I called 911 because the individual came walking a couple hundred yards into the woods looking for me because he didn’t like how my car was parked “in front of his road. I was in Morgan Monroe state forest parked on public land and hunting on public land the road was not his. At best he has an easement but due to the fact that after the “resolution” the man had no interest in going down the road or opening the gate he claimed to have a key to. One could infer then that his only purpose was to blow out my hunt because he is one of those people who thinking they own the public land next to their own property.

Regardless of my misplaced parking or not where my car was does not give someone the right to come blow someone’s hunt out.

State code listed below as well for those not familiar.

The road and place of parking in question shown below.
    I use Onx to make sure I’m not trespassing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think we've covered this on INGO multiple times. It does not matter. This is not an issue of establishing probable cause. An officer must witness it, period. If not, no outright arrest is legal. A PC must be presented to a judge for a warrant. If an arrest warrant is granted, THEN an arrest can be made.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    To be fair here, that could be considered a "driveway" which cannot be blocked, even if you were parked entirely on the road. Sounds like that's what the deputy mentioned when he asked you to move.

I don't think the "offender's" behavior was proper - he could have quietly asked you to move. He also could have called the sheriff/tow truck. Nor was your behavior for parking in a private property access point.

It does seem that a CO is the proper resource to enforce Section 14 Article 22 of IC.
    And based on the text for Hunter Harassment (IC 14-22-37-2) it's likely you would need some evidence he knowingly and intentionally acted to prevent your hunt.

Based on his claim (and yours) that he came to confront you about your parking location, it seems as though that was not his intention, even if that was the result.

Top Bottom