• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Now before the conspiracy theories start flying, I am told these are to be reference pieces for their ballistics lab...

The gun in question:
    new20mmpicatshotshow.jpg

20-mm.jpg

From Fed Biz Ops:

Magfed 20mm Rifles
    Solicitation Number: 10-Q-LDQ002768
    Agency: Department of Justice
    Office: Federal Bureau of Investigation

Solicitation Number:
    10-Q-LDQ002768
    Notice Type:
    Presolicitation
    Synopsis:
    Added: Nov 27, 2009 6:03 pm

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) intends to award a non-competitive, sole source purchase order to Anzio Ironworks Corporation, 1905 16th Street N, St. Petersburg, FL 33704 for two (2) Magfed 20mm Rifles and accessories in accordance with FAR 6.302-1, only one responsible source and no other supplies or services will satisfy agency requirements.

The FBI intends to procure the following items:

Magfed 20mm Rifle with Belgian Camo Overcoat finish. Includes bipod, brake, handguard, free floated barrel and case (Qty: 1 each)

Magfed 20mm Rifle with Navy NWV Camo Duracoat finish. Includes bipod, brake, handguard, free floated barrel and case (Qty: 1 each)

Non-firing bolt assemblies (Qty: 2 each)

Extra magazines (Qty: 4 each)

Suppressors in 20mm (Qty: 2 each)

Based on extensive market research conducted with knowledgeable individuals in Government and the related industry, only one responsible source, Anzio Ironworks Corporation can provide the requested products/service. This notice of intent is not a request for competitive quotations; however, interested parties may identify their interests and capability to respond to this requirement or submit quotes to this office by 2:00PM EST, Monday, December 7, 2009 to [redacted]. All correspondence shall reference solicitation number 10-Q-LDQ002768. Phone calls will NOT be accepted. Information received will be used solely to determine whether to conduct a competitive procurement. This contract will be awarded as a commercial item in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation, Parts 12 and 13.5. All contractors anticipating award, must be registered in the Central Contractor Registration Database and the Online Representations and Certifications. In addition, interested parties must also be registered and have completed the On-Line Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA). Information and registration details can be found at http://orca.bpn.gov. This notice will be distributed solely through the General Services Administration's (GSA) Federal Business Opportunities (FBO) website: www.fedbizopps.gov. Interested parties are responsible for monitoring the FBO website to ensure they have the most up-to-date information about this acquisition.
    Contracting Office Address:
    FBI Engineering Research Facility, FBI Academy
    Quantico, Virginia 22135

General Information
    Notice Type:
    Presolicitation
    Posted Date:
    November 27, 2009
    Response Date:
    Dec 07, 2009 2:00 pm Eastern
    Archiving Policy:
    Automatic, 15 days after response date
    Archive Date:
    December 22, 2009
    Original Set Aside:
    N/A
    Set Aside:
    N/A
    Classification Code:
    10 -- Weapons
    NAICS Code:
    332 -- Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing/332994 -- Small Arms Manufacturing

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I don't understand why the FBI is conducting 20mm ballistic tests.:dunno:

Probably in order to see if they are adequately armed to protect their raid teams from the above commercially available rifle.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Probably in order to see if they are adequately armed to protect their raid teams from the above commercially available rifle.

But 20mm! Seriously, do they really need a caliber capable of that type of "results". I don't know I guess I view the FBI as fancy LEOs, and feel that other stuff should be left up to our military.:twocents:

Maybe they raided TGI to gain some intel of their weapons.:shady:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I don't understand why the FBI is conducting 20mm ballistic tests.:dunno:

For the same reason Indianapolis Fire Department needs a hovercraft.

For the same reason Noblesville Police Department has an H1....

Etc....

Clearly the FBI had funds provided by DHS and the felt the need to spend them before the end of the year.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Etc....

Clearly the FBI had funds provided by DHS and the felt the need to spend them before the end of the year.[/quote]

BINGO!

This would be my guess as well. Timing is everything.

That said, I read that they were ordering two@ "non-firing" bolt assemblies? Why purchase NON-firing bolt assemblies? That's just weird.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Clearly the FBI had funds provided by DHS and the felt the need to spend them before the end of the year.
    This is probably the case... I'm suspecting that if they don't "spend" all of their budget, they won't get as much next year.

So, I suppose they did what I would have done... Have extra money? > buy some toys! :ar15:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Etc....

Yep, they do it all the time at the end of the year as well with printing too.
    If they have not spent it yet it gets used on whatever they can get, if not
    they will lose it on the next budget. It still frosts me when I hear it anyhow.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Any and all weapons to be utilized by any segment of the FBI must be tested and evaluated by the ballistics lab. A hijacked aircraft on US soil falls under the jurisdiction if the FBI HRT. A 20mm rifle would do a nice job of disabling the engines or landing gear of a commercial airliner should the decision be made to prevent an airplane from taking off once it lands for fuel or prior to it taking off if HRT could respond in time.

The FBI is also tasked with investigating acts of terrorism. An important aspect of investigating crimes is being able to quickly recognize what weapons may have been utilized. Should a weapon such as the 20mm fall into the wrong hands and be used to attack US citizens or troops it would be beneficial to be able to recognize what was used quickly rather than sitting around scratching their heads and spending months trying to figure it out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Who wouldn't want one?

I'm just curious as to whether they've gotten ATF approval, as this is way over a boresize of one-half inch.

Last edited:

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere

Etc....

Just so you know. That hovercraft has been the biggest piece of junk we have had in a long time. The thing is getting repaired more than it is in service. The best part is that the Feds wasted the money to buy and now the city has to waste money to keep it running.:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    And, of course, whether they've paid their tax stamp on the 20mm suppressors(!) they're getting to go along with. :rolleyes: :):

I'm not sure whether those suppressors are of the flash or sound variety. Supposedly, sound-suppressing the 20mm requires "trick" ammo (ballistically similar to .50BMG) in addition to the can, but it's relatively quiet:

YouTube - Mag-Fed 20MM Rifle with Suppressor

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ahh. The Anzio Ironworks 20mm. Last time I looked it was like $11 or 12k.

Within the range of possibility until I looked at getting ammo for it. And I thought my .50bmg with match ammo was expensive! IRC it was something like $8-9 a round. Of course, I could probably pay for it taking it to Knob Creek and charging the geeks $20 a shot :)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Geeez, I am only one winning lottery ticket from my very own 20mm rifle!

What a sweet toy that would be, and the 50,000 acre spread to go with it!
    :D

Top Bottom