First Thoughts: Umerex Regent R200S 1911 (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    After endless fondling of various 1911 models in countless shops, I finally returned to the brotherhood of 1911 owners today! :rockwoot:

So, here are my first thoughts and some pics.​

My purchase was a Regent R200S, manufactured by Umarex, a Turkish company. Their base model, the R100, has been around for a bit. There are many reviews on the webz, some good, some OK, some not so good, so I was hesitant to take the plunge. After talking to our friendly neighborhood Bradis Manager (Shooter521) about them on several occasions and reading more than a few reviews of the R100, I decided that most of the more recent ones showed that Umerex had dealt fairly with its customers, fixed problems and that newer ones did not suffer from the early maladys.​

Price point for this pistol (at least at present) is just under $600.00, A big plus for me, as I do not have a big gun budget. I comes nicely boxed with all the normal do-dads, brush, manual, lock, and one steel magazine.​

picture.php

A good looking Handgun. Hogue grips are factory, as is the beaver tail, round hammer, Competition style sights, vented trigger, and oversized ambi safety.​

picture.php

During the first breakdown for cleaning before lobbing lead downrange, I was impressed with the machine work. I'm no expert, so I could be wrong, but everything is a smooth, snug fit. I found no burrs, scars or handwork marks to indicate sloppy machines and the need to fix before shipping.​

picture.php

picture.php

I cleaned it all up, put it back together, function checked and it was time to go out back to my woods.​

picture.php

picture.php

My first magazine, I just sent a few down at the steel, feeling the pistol out using Speer 230 gr FMJ Lawman.
    First shots, impressions: No FTE's or FTF's. The pistol returned to battery everytime. Targets were easy to reacquire. Muzzle rise is very managable. Trigger is smooth and light, (I don't have a guage, I would guess about 6 or 7 lbs)​

Then, I stepped off 10 paces (for me this is about 25 feet) and checked for accuracy at a moderate cadence. I was quite pleased with what this pistol can do. :D

picture.php

picture.php

All in all, I put 50 rounds through it today. Not a hitch, snort, cough, or sputter. I really love having a 1911 back in my hands again. It's like a trusted old friend.​

I'm not a comp shooter, and it's also been many years since I carried one of these, so I plan on having some more knowledgable 1911 shooters check it out soon and give their thoughts.​

So, I would give my new Regent R200S high marks for initial quality at the very least. I think Umarex has put together a fine pistol for the price.​

Last edited:

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I bought the R100 this past summer as a graduation present for myself, and so far have not had any problems with mine having about 200 rounds through it. Glad you like yours. Definitely a good bang for the buck.

Do you know if the R350CR is available?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I bought the R100 this past summer as a graduation present for myself, and so far have not had any problems with mine having about 200 rounds through it. Glad you like yours. Definitely a good bang for the buck.

Do you know if the R350CR is available?

I don't think so yet. Mark at Bradis (Shooter521) told me today that he has preordered it. You should give them a call. He will probably have an idea of when they may be expected.
    He says he shot it, though. "Nice :D" was one way he put it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My 1911's from metro arms have ate everything thrown their way in anything but the factory act mags. They allow, well, cause the first round of all ammo ball/jhp to nose dive into the feedramp.

I haven't tried any 200 gr SWC's, but looking at slowed down loading with my mccormick and wilson mags, it looks like it shouldn't be an issue.

I've read lots of good things about regent 1911's, it goes to show that a name isn't everything :-)

Looking forward to more reports. If you have enough JHPs, try to induce failure. I haven'5 been able to yet :) well, aside from crappy magazines.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Update:

Put another 100 rounds through it today. Remington WB, man that stuff is dirty! But it was what I grabbed out of the .45 ammo tub so, it got shot up.

I did have 1 FTF. It was the last round in my 6th magazine. (shot #31) I inspected the round and found nothing wrong with it. Nothing obvious to lead me to the reason either. I loaded it back in the same mag, worked the slide and it fed fine.

Filled and emptied that mag three more times with no issues.
    At this point I can't say it was the pistol as I had no issues through the remainder of the box. I'm guessing that I may have not pushed the round all the was back when I loaded it? :dunno:

Now, its clean and my hands smell like Hoppe's #9
    Can a guy ask for a better afternoon? :D

PT92

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Nice review indeed and a sweet looking 1911! I had not even realized they had made a stainless model (or even a new .45ACP model).

I have had mine now (R100) just over one year $359 OTD off of gunbroker including FFL fee so I got in right before they started to 'balloon' in price. However, CDNN has it listed as "The Best Buy in the USA" in their latest add and I am not sure I would call it over-hype as this thing indeed lives up to its billing as a GREAT no-frills entry level 1911A1.

1911a1.jpg

-Cheers

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I had a chance to shoot stschil's .45 today. (And it was a perfect morning to be shooting!)

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating the OP observations, I will add my +1s in these areas:

Fit and Finish :yesway:
    Light, smooth trigger. :yesway:
    Modest recoil and very manageable muzzle rise. :yesway:
    Accuracy is spot-on. :yesway:

This pistol also felt light in my hand. I even confirmed that the frame is stainless. Perhaps it was the good balance that made it feel that way.

A solid-feeling good-shooting 1911 shared with friends on a warm sunny Spring day! Can't go wrong with this! :)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I had a chance to shoot stschil's .45 today. (And it was a perfect morning to be shooting!)

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating the OP observations, I will add my +1s in these areas:

Fit and Finish :yesway:
    Light, smooth trigger. :yesway:
    Modest recoil and very manageable muzzle rise. :yesway:
    Accuracy is spot-on. :yesway:

This pistol also felt light in my hand. I even confirmed that the frame is stainless. Perhaps it was the good balance that made it feel that way.

A solid-feeling good-shooting 1911 shared with friends on a warm sunny Spring day! Can't go wrong with this! :)

Thank you to lovemywoods for again opening his range and allowing me to lob some lead at his Bobcat Steel Dueling Tree. (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...bobcat_steel_6_paddle_ar500_dueling_tree.html) It is a very fun way to aclimate oneself to a new pistol. And thank you to adding your thoughts to my review.

The tree begs the shooter to increase the rate of fire. I found myself wanting to shoot faster each time I addressed it. What this did was forced me to concentrate on target acquisition. I cannot see myself being able to do this with a pistol that is not easy to control.
    Again, the muzzle flip on this 1911 is minimal, giving the shooter the ability to come back to target quickly and accurately.

Another 150 rounds yesterday and I have promoted this pistol to EDC status.
    No malfunctions, nothing scary when I broke it down for cleaning. I'm sold.
    When the compact rail version is available (R350C) I will Definately be adding to my collection.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom