• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bought one of these Regent R 350CRs from a local dealer. I was impressed with what I read about it and liked it's looks. Unfortunately, that's where the love affair ends.
    After field stripping it and giving it a good once over, I took it to the range this morning and experienced multiple FTFs with 4 different magazines! 2 Colt, 1 Wilson Combat, and the factory mag from Regent, as well as several failures to go to battery. I stopped counting after 15. I put a total of 100 rounds of round nose target ammo thru this today plus 10 rounds of hollow point.There would be an FTF every 3-5 rounds with each magazine. I had one of my Colt mags make it thru all 7 rounds (once)w/o a FTF. Winchester, Federal and Remmington, and had hic-cups with all of it. The gun DOES NOT like hollow points...failed to go to battery and FTF with each round, which presents a problem if using this for CC/self defense. I can't believe 4 different magazines were the problem which puts the FTFs squarely on the gun.
    Needless to say I was NOT impressed. Now for accuracy, it's right up there with my Kimber! 2-2.5 inch patterns at 25 yards......very nice! However, the FTFs are a real downer. I guess I need to take it to a Smith and have the feed ramp polished and see if there is anything else that could be the issue. Right out of the box though, other than the accuracy, I can't say much positive about the operation of this firearm. Hell, my RIA performed way better than this straight out of the box!

I took it back to the dealer on 8-14-12. He was very disappointed with the performance as well, sent it back to the factory (Umarex) and we are still waiting to hear something from them.

*** Follow up*** September 7th, 2012:
    Ok, got a call this morning from the gunshop where I bought my Regent 350CR 1911. Umarex returned the gun and claimed that it had aftermarket work done to it, specifically that the "feedramp had been cut too much and did not align up properly to consistantly feed the ammo" Well, all I can say is horse-hockey!! I had that gun all of 4 days! Bought it "new" in box on a Thursday, took it to the range that Saturday, and back to the shop that following Monday. Nobody has done ANY after market work on this gun! Umarex apparently does not want to stand behind something that should have never made it out of quality control.
    mad.gif

Now, the good news, if you want to call it that. The gunshop where I bought it is willing to have their gunsmith look at it and see if it can be salvaged/repaired or whatever, and they will pick up the cost. I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention names of shops on this forum, but I want to give these guys 5 Stars ***** for customer service to this point. At this point they are willing to accept that this gun was sent out defective and are willing to at least try to make it right (depending on what the Gunsmith says).

As for Umarex, and the Regent R350CR, purchase these at your own risk! I'm sure not all of their guns are this poorly made ( at least I would hope not) but the fact that they want to accuse a customer of tampering with something new out of the box, that's still under warranty, and not standing behind their product, throws up numerous RED FLAGS for me. I'll never reccomend them or have ANYthing good to say about them from here on out.
    headscratch.gif

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Now, the good news, if you want to call it that. The gunshop where I bought it is willing to have their gunsmith look at it and see if it can be salvaged/repaired or whatever, and they will pick up the cost. I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention names of shops on this forum, but I want to give these guys 5 Stars ***** for customer service to this point. At this point they are willing to accept that this gun was sent out defective and are willing to at least try to make it right (depending on what the Gunsmith says).

Yeah, that's us. :wavey:

FWIW, we test-fired the other R350CR we had in at the time, and it ran fine. Still not sure what the issue with yours is... you'd think that if the ramp had been cut too much by whomever, as Umarex claims, that they could have welded it up and re-cut the ramp correctly. But then, I am not a gunsmith, so :dunno:

We will let you know as soon as we hear something from our 'smith regarding the status of your pistol. Now, he does his gunsmithing on the side (works a 9-5 "regular job"), so his work can take a bit, depending on what else he's got going on. If it gets to be end of next week and he hasn't gotten back to us, we'll give him a call and request a status update.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this issue with you. Honestly, this whole ordeal has got US re-thinking whether or not we want to continue stocking Umarex products...

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    That's disappointing, to say the least. I was really interested in picking one up some time in the future. My R200S is still going' strong at over 2500 rounds. No issues and no wear. It's still spot on accurate as well.

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shooter521: Thank you guys for standing behind what you sell. Umarex could learn a few things from you. I've bought guns from your shop when it was a sideline to a lawncare business (remember way back when....) Always great deals and 5***** customer service. I really hope your Smith is able to do something with it. I was obviously disappointed with the performance, but even more so by the response from Umarex. The most absurd comments I've ever heard about a NIB pistol.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The most absurd comments I've ever heard about a NIB pistol.

I thought it strange how quickly they dismissed the suggestion that the frame was screwed up at the factory. If the dealer, the customer and the "master gunsmith" at the importer didn't do any cutting on the feed ramp, who does that leave? :scratch:

They could have replaced the frame on their dime, or at least given us the opportunity to buy a frame or even an entirely new gun at cost; other manufacturers have done as much. The fact that they didn't do anything but say "the frame is scrap, sorry 'bout ya" is disconcerting to say the least.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    OP, if you'd contact Umarex and politely direct them to this thread, with its potential readership of over 24,000 gun enthusiasts, then you might get their attention. Something to consider. Either way, good luck.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    i now this sounds crazy considering the subject, but how much are these?

I dont think it matters how much they cost at this point. I have a pretty good idea no matter how much a good deal they might be I'm not risking a dime on them.

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    richardraw316: they sell around here in the neighborhood of 5 and a quarter. I looked around at a few places that sell them in this area and shooter521 had the best deal.
    Topdog's comment bares sound advice.
    Zenbruno: your suggestion was followed up on this morning. I've had a couple of back and forth discussions with "Glen" from Umarex this past week informing him that I planned on making my experience very public. He was sent the link today in fulfillment of that promise and informed that I was just getting started. It truly is a shame that a company doesn't stand behind their product. This would be an outstanding pistol with the standard features, size, feel, and accuracy....except for the feedramp issue and Umarex's poor approach to customer service & backing what they sell.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    They could have replaced the frame on their dime, or at least given us the opportunity to buy a frame or even an entirely new gun at cost; other manufacturers have done as much. The fact that they didn't do anything but say "the frame is scrap, sorry 'bout ya" is disconcerting to say the least.

It seems like carrying a product with such :poop:ty customer service would be bad for your business rep as well...even if your smith can get it running.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I dont think it matters how much they cost at this point. I have a pretty good idea no matter how much a good deal they might be I'm not risking a dime on them.

i agree, i do not feel good about sending these people money, if this is they way they treat customer.
    i have just been thinking about 1911s for a while, but i am cheap. plus i do like the way this one looks. but if the company does not stand behind their product, well i know Taurus does.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    i agree, i do not feel good about sending these people money, if this is they way they treat customer.
    i have just been thinking about 1911s for a while, but i am cheap. plus i do like the way this one looks. but if the company does not stand behind their product, well i know Taurus does.

Exactly Taurus has its problems but at least the company stands behind the product. The worst thing that you can do is buy a handgun and then be left out in the dark on your own.

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Richardraw316: If your budget is limited, you may want to look at RIA. I had one a couple years ago (handed it down to a family member) it was a great gun with the exception of the factory magazine. I used Wilson's after that initial experience and they fed everything and the RIA spit it out flawlessly! They are Phillipine made with service headquarters in Nevada (I believe) lifetime warranty and are a great no frills pistol for folks on a budget. You can also trick them out pretty easily too (I put an ambi safety on mine being a SP) Do some research, read the posts in these (they're plenty) and make an informed choice. good luck.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The pistol in question came back from our gunsmith this afternoon. I am hopeful that things have been resolved in a satisfactory manner, but the real test will come once rspr8tr picks it up and is able to get it back out to the range.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Bought one of these Regent R 350CRs from a local dealer. I was impressed with what I read about it and liked it's looks. Unfortunately, that's where the love affair ends.
    After field stripping it and giving it a good once over, I took it to the range this morning and experienced multiple FTFs with 4 different magazines! 2 Colt, 1 Wilson Combat, and the factory mag from Regent, as well as several failures to go to battery. I stopped counting after 15. I put a total of 100 rounds of round nose target ammo thru this today plus 10 rounds of hollow point.There would be an FTF every 3-5 rounds with each magazine. I had one of my Colt mags make it thru all 7 rounds (once)w/o a FTF. Winchester, Federal and Remmington, and had hic-cups with all of it. The gun DOES NOT like hollow points...failed to go to battery and FTF with each round, which presents a problem if using this for CC/self defense. I can't believe 4 different magazines were the problem which puts the FTFs squarely on the gun.
    Needless to say I was NOT impressed. Now for accuracy, it's right up there with my Kimber! 2-2.5 inch patterns at 25 yards......very nice! However, the FTFs are a real downer. I guess I need to take it to a Smith and have the feed ramp polished and see if there is anything else that could be the issue. Right out of the box though, other than the accuracy, I can't say much positive about the operation of this firearm. Hell, my RIA performed way better than this straight out of the box!

I took it back to the dealer on 8-14-12. He was very disappointed with the performance as well, sent it back to the factory (Umarex) and we are still waiting to hear something from them.

*** Follow up*** September 7th, 2012:
    Ok, got a call this morning from the gunshop where I bought my Regent 350CR 1911. Umarex returned the gun and claimed that it had aftermarket work done to it, specifically that the "feedramp had been cut too much and did not align up properly to consistantly feed the ammo" Well, all I can say is horse-hockey!! I had that gun all of 4 days! Bought it "new" in box on a Thursday, took it to the range that Saturday, and back to the shop that following Monday. Nobody has done ANY after market work on this gun! Umarex apparently does not want to stand behind something that should have never made it out of quality control.
    mad.gif

As for Umarex, and the Regent R350CR, purchase these at your own risk! I'm sure not all of their guns are this poorly made ( at least I would hope not) but the fact that they want to accuse a customer of tampering with something new out of the box, that's still under warranty, and not standing behind their product, throws up numerous RED FLAGS for me. I'll never reccomend them or have ANYthing good to say about them from here on out.
    headscratch.gif

Did you happen to be at ECPR with this pistol on Sat?

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The pistol in question came back from our gunsmith this afternoon. I am hopeful that things have been resolved in a satisfactory manner, but the real test will come once rspr8tr picks it up and is able to get it back out to the range.

Got Dave's message last evening (late) I'll be in later this afternoon to retireve the pistol. It may be a few days befoe I have a chance to get it to the range, but excited to get it back and put it thru workouts! :rockwoot:

rspr8tr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Did you happen to be at ECPR with this pistol on Sat?

ECPR? Educate me please on that one. The gun has been (and still is at the time of this writning) in the care of Bradis' Gun Smith getting repaired. I have been contacted that it is ready to be picked up and I plan to do that later this afternoon when I get off work. Once I have a chance to fired the weapon with a variety of round nose and HP ammo, I'll post the results.

I have full confidence that Bradis' Smith has been able to render this pistol operational.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Good luck with the range trip. Sorry to hear about all the trouble from the manufacture. Hard to believe they wouldn't just fix it and send it back in working order to make a customer happy. Nothing sux more than spending good money on something and having to wait to use it because of a manufacturing defect. Blaming the customer is also the quickest way to hurt your reputation.

+1 for the LGS for helping you out even though it wasn't their fault.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Good luck with the range trip. Sorry to hear about all the trouble from the manufacture. Hard to believe they wouldn't just fix it and send it back in working order to make a customer happy. Nothing sux more than spending good money on something and having to wait to use it because of a manufacturing defect. Blaming the customer is also the quickest way to hurt your reputation.

+1 for the LGS for helping you out even though it wasn't their fault.

Exactly. There was a thread recently asking about why someone should buy locally, from their LGS, instead of from online gun sellers. Assuming that prices are reasonably close, THIS is why you should buy from your LGS.

Of course, in this specific case (IMO), the manufacturer should have been the one to make things right with the OP. Maybe the manufacturer will consider reimbursing the LGS for time / materials invested in fixing the gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom