• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I saw a Hi-Point pistol at the local gun store yesterday.
    I don't know anyone who owns one or if they are any good.
    I'm sure someone here has an opinion.:):

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A friend of mine has one, and loves it. Perhaps he will chime in about it on this thread.

(im off to send him the link now.)

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I bought one new, traded it the next day.. Awful gun. It is built so cheap and poorly, it feels like a squirt gun in your hand because of the cheap plastic its made out of..

Unless your on a budget and that is all you can afford, dont buy it; save for something better! Just me 2 cents...

Last edited:

Muzzle Flash

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Valpo
    Well I tell you! Alot of people bad mouth them , I have two a 40 and 45 model , they go boom every time I pull the trigger , that said there's alot sweeter shooting guns out there .

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    That is true, mine right out of the box never missfired or any other malfunction, it is reliable, just feels cheap in the hand and i hated the way the recoil felt on the 9mm hipoint i had..

Well I tell you! Alot of people bad mouth them , I have two a 40 and 45 model , they go boom every time I pull the trigger , that said there's alot sweeter shooting guns out there .

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I have the HiPoint C9. So far it has been a great gun. I bought it when I was a cable installer in the not so great part of Indy so I did not have to carry my XD. No real problems with it at all. HiPoints Customer service is great they come with Life time warranty, and when you send it in they give you a free mag when they send it back to you. I will say that it is very ugly and if you run out of ammo it makes a great hammer. I know alot of people here when they see this will say that Hi Point sucks. :ar15:

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I have the C9 it goes boom every time I have pulled the trigger. Got it at the time because I was on a budget and it was all I could afford.

If you can afford a nicer quality gun I would recommend it. That are not "bad" guns. They are the Kia of the gun world. Lower end economy models.

huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Hi Points

A friend of mine recently bought a C9 and I told him not to- that he would be sorry. After he got it he told me he loved it, so I went up to his place to try it out. Now I have many Sigs, so that is my reference- as far as fit and finish this gun was lacking, but performance wise, it felt great in my hand and performed extremely well...and if need be- as a previous post said- if you had to use it as a hammer you wouldn't think twice about it...they certainly have there place in the market- I changed my mind about them...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you shop around, check the classifieds, watch gunbroker etc...I think for just a bit more money you could get something a bit more worthy.

Hi Points are like GNC cigs and Big K colas. Yes they will work but they do not have quite the satisfaction of a Native Spirits Cigarette or a bona fide RC Cola.

Currently I believe SOG has some Taurus foriegn police trade in 38 special revolvers for around $150. H & R revolvers can be found for around the same amount and sometimes you can luck into a Smith and Wesson police trade in model 10, 13, 65 or 67 for just over $200.

On a positive note the hi point carbines seem to me one of the best bargains going in pistol calibre carbines if you don't mind a weapon that looks like a prop from the original "Planet of the Apes" movie.

I am not saying they are bad. I am just sayin there are sometimes better options if you are willing to look around some.

All offered in my humble opinion ofcourse.

Indiucky

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Don't own one but sounds like the AK of pistols ugly, over built, but works every time. Plus I would not cry handing that off to the police not knowing if I will get it back after an incident then my Colt.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    They're not bad usually, mine have been very reliable and easy to hit with. They're not the simplest guns to reassemble tho' and a novice may find the variety of internal parts confusing. The guns have several internal fire control parts held in by gravity or slip fit,once the grips and slide are off simply turning the gun over will cause it to further disassemble perhaps more then desired. Low cap mags and lack some features like a slide release lever. However mine seem immune from jamming with most any ammo type and the guns can be kept operating w/o frequent takedowns.
    My opinion is for the money they're great ,but for another hundred and a quarter or so you could get a P95 and have a more user friendly gun .

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    My father in law used to have one. He liked it pretty well. From what I understand (this is not first hand experience so someone feel free to correct me) make sure to polish the feed ramp and shoot fmj. It doesn't do as well with hollow points. At least that's what he told me lol.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Don't own one but sounds like the AK of pistols ugly, over built, but works every time. Plus I would not cry handing that off to the police not knowing if I will get it back after an incident then my Colt.

Please don't lump Hi-Points and AK's in the same category. You made me die a little inside. :(

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    they are big,heavy,bulky,ugly, if you hit somebody with it you would do just as much damage as if you shot them with it....and if you are ever fishing you could use it as a anchor...BUT they do go bang everytime you squeeze the trigger, are cheep, and have a lifetime waranty NO QUESTIONS ASKED

we sold one to a guy who stripped it all the way down, took every part out, when he reassembled it he put the firing pin in backwards, took it to the range, fired one shot, it locked up like a bank vault, we sent it bank to mks, they fixed it free of charge(even tho you are not supposed to strip it all the way down) wrote him a letter apologizing for making the part that way and giving him 2 free magazines!
    hows that for customer service!

i sold one to a guy who carries a kimber cdp, he keeps it (the hi point) in his office in case it gets stolen, he's out a 150.00 gun not a 1200.00 dollar gun

if i needed a "work truck" gun id get the hi point, if i was trying to impress my friends...id buy a hi power

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    As far as I recall, Hi-Points, (the company,) goal is to produce a reliable, affordable, American-Made handgun so that self-defense can be affordable by all people, not just by those with plenty of extra cash lying around.

In that, I think they have succeeded. They have mass-produced a series of lead-slingers and blunt-force trauma weapons at a ridiculously affordable price. They're not pretty but...well, neither are the old screwdrivers I have in the toolbox downstairs, but they get the job done.

If I really needed/wanted a pistol and it was all I could afford, I would get one. If I could afford a more expensive, "better" model, I would probably do that. But if you're on a budget or want a cheap gun that you won't mind getting stolen...they're what you want.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    The are not purty and they are top-heavy, but they go bang when you want them too and they have the best warranty around. Made in Ohio, I believe. My first 9mm was the HP C9. It was a safe way for me to try out the centerfire pistol world wihout much cost.

If I lived on a farm, I'd probably keep one stashed out in the barn, or in the tool box of my farm truck, for varmint control (two and four legged both.) If it is all that fits in the budget, try one out. It is not for ccw, but will work for home or vehicle protection.

Top Bottom