• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    My Hi-Point C-9 in the avatar picture is several years old. I don't shoot it all that often, but last time I did, I had a problem with the magazine coming out with the slighest touch of the mag release. Also with the OWB holster the mags would come out while carrying it due to the same problem. No other problems noted.

I sent it in about 10 days ago with both magazines a note about the problem and got it back yesterday.

Hand written note's on my typed form:

"Replaced both magazines and gave you an extra for your trouble."

but that is not all:

Replaced barrel
    Replaced Slide
    Replaced Trigger
    Replaced Springs
    Replaced firing pin
    Replaced Extractor
    New box, accesories, instructions, and trigger lock. Basicly they built a new gun around the grips and frame and sent me 3 brand new magazines to go with it.

Now there was nothing wrong with those other parts, but they replaced them with the newest versions of the parts so it is a like new gun again.

Total cost for me about $10 to ship it back.

I know that the Ruger SR9, Glocks, and many others feel nice and shoot nice, and have a great fit and finish to them, but for a rough and tumble "truck gun" you can't beat this customer service!

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    hey Ralph,
    Thanks for the info. I'm currently in the market for my first handgun and have been searching for something that will be best bang for the buck. I'm hoping to find something for less than $300(see thread "handguns under $300" but would be even happier if the c-9 could suffice. If i'm correct one can be purchase for under $200. Would you think this would be a reliable for self defense by itself?

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    hey Ralph,
    Thanks for the info. I'm currently in the market for my first handgun and have been searching for something that will be best bang for the buck. I'm hoping to find something for less than $300(see thread "handguns under $300" but would be even happier if the c-9 could suffice. If i'm correct one can be purchase for under $200. Would you think this would be a reliable for self defense by itself?

The going rate seems to be around $150 i believe. For a first gun, go for it. I would advice you to probably save a little and buy a used gun off here once you are able. But hey, I won't knock you for buying a Hi-point.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    hey Ralph,
    I am in the same boat as you. Looking for my first gun, but don't want to spend a lot of money yet, and the Hi Point seems like a good place to start.
    And if I want to upgrade down the line, I should be able to get a good price for it on the open market.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    hey Ralph,
    You can used it for self defense, just throw it & hit some one over the head with it:D

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    My first handgun was a C9, and I still have it. I would trust that thing with my life believe it or not.

Hundreds of rounds down the tube, and STILL yet to have a FTF or FTE. Thats pretty impressive for a $150 gun to me. Not only has it been reliable, but its also pretty dang accurate for the barrel length.

Disclaimer: They are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to completely disassemble (luckily they are durable enough that you don't have to but once every couple years :):), and they are uglier than sin :(.

And big +1 to hi point for taking care of you the way they did. :yesway:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Don't get me wrong, I like my C-9 and it is good at what it is for. I posted this mainly to show something positive about the company and their customer service.

BUT, I would not recommend it for your first gun.

I can recognize and clear a stoppage very quickly because I have been trained on it over and over. I won't say that it has never jammed, because it has with these magazine problems. My wife likes shooting it, my kids and my sister in law like shooting it, and I carry it along with my LCP as a backup sometimes, but I have not given one to any of them for their first handgun. And I recommend something a little more

For your first gun you want something that is 100% reliable and that the magazines and pistol fit together like a glove. That the trigger is smooth as glass and the fit and finish feel awesome. My C-9 is great, but it is rough and heavy as heck, which is also it's good point because you don't have to worry about scratching it or anything like that, but I still wouldn't recommend it as your first handgun.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear they took cae of you. :yesway: I have heard nothing but good things about their customer service. I have never had to use it, but good to know they take care of you.
    I own 2 HiPoints, a c9 and a .380. Both have been 100% since day one and are very accurate. I cannot complain at all especially for the price.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    As much as we all may knock and tease Hi-Point's...

Coming from someone that's owned S&W, Springfield, Walther & Ruger...

I have to say, my Hi-Point 45 was a flawless shooter and never once hiccuped.
    I've also heard nothing but great things about their customer service and product support...

+1 to a company that's toughened it out through the bashing and still delivers and fulfills Lifetime Warranties.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Even though I have never had a problem with mine, I think I need to create a problem and send it in.

Sounds like they build you a new C9...

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Nice to see some positives on the Hi-Point. I've been considering a C-9 just to see for myself. I know they are bulky,heavy,and ugly but for the price and the stand up warranty that they seem to back no questions asked how can you go wrong for $150? On a side note most of the problems I've heard of them having are jamming, and most seem to think it's due to limp wristed shooting. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Nice to see some positives on the Hi-Point. I've been considering a C-9 just to see for myself. I know they are bulky,heavy,and ugly but for the price and the stand up warranty that they seem to back no questions asked how can you go wrong for $150? On a side note most of the problems I've heard of them having are jamming, and most seem to think it's due to limp wristed shooting. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
    Let us know how it goes. I am looking into one myself.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I bought a JHP in .45 ACP a couple of months ago, and the thing runs like a top! I have around 250 rounds thru it so far with zero malfunctions. I paid 179+tax for mine. I ordered a spare magazine and a Tee-shirt from them and paid only 28 dollars for the whole order. (No shipping cost) That was a first. I keep the gun loaded up, with the safety on of course, and keep it in a drawer for the wife to use when she is at home. I have a friend at work who has the Model 995 carbine, and was thinking about buying the .45 ACP version for myself. The ammo and magazines would work for both the pistol and rifle. He has about 1,000 rounds thru his carbine (9mm) with only a couple FTF. Thats not bad for the money. Slam them all you want, but mine works. BTW, it is also the most accurate .45 pistol I have ever fired. Strange.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I bought a JHP in .45 ACP a couple of months ago, and the thing runs like a top! I have around 250 rounds thru it so far with zero malfunctions. I paid 179+tax for mine. I ordered a spare magazine and a Tee-shirt from them and paid only 28 dollars for the whole order. (No shipping cost) That was a first. I keep the gun loaded up, with the safety on of course, and keep it in a drawer for the wife to use when she is at home. I have a friend at work who has the Model 995 carbine, and was thinking about buying the .45 ACP version for myself. The ammo and magazines would work for both the pistol and rifle. He has about 1,000 rounds thru his carbine (9mm) with only a couple FTF. Thats not bad for the money. Slam them all you want, but mine works. BTW, it is also the most accurate .45 pistol I have ever fired. Strange.

That is one thing I keep hearing is how accurate they are. I have also been considering on of the carbines myself. The carbines seem to always get rave reviews. If I have luck with the C9 I'll definitely be adding a carbine to my arsenal also.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Even though I have never had a problem with mine, I think I need to create a problem and send it in.

Sounds like they build you a new C9...

:):

They built me a new 995 last year. I had the same mag problem as the OP.
    I sent it in and they basically did a similar rebuild. new sights AND rail. Plus a new sling. To top it off I bought this used and it was one of the first 500 ever made (1995 I think).

Owned a few c-9's. Worst thing about them is the weight to capacity ratio. Otherwise they work fine.
    If you get a C-9 consider a 995. The 10 round 995 mags will work in the C-9. They hang out a little but work. Their are some old 995 mags that won't work. But with new the above is true.

Top Bottom