• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Ok so i'm in the market for a cheaper pistol, and I've seen brand new hi point .40's for as low as $160 dollars. I have personally never shot one, but when I read reviews it seems like every owner loves them. So I'm just curious as to what makes them "complete crap" like so many people seem to say. It's really looking like I'll end up buying one, so I figured I'd get some input first.

And please don't tell me to save up a lot more money and buy a better handgun. NOt interested :D

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    They are awesome and it out shoots my buddies S&W 3919. I want to collect the whole set. So far I only have the C9 9mm and it shoots hard primer corrosive ammo like a champ.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    If the pistol is just going to be used for plinking, go for it. If it is going to be used for protection, no way. There is a reason why they are only $160 and do you want to bet your life on it?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I am a Hi-Point owner I own a .40 carbine and I used to own the .40 handgun as well I only sold the hand gun Because I was going to by a Mosin Nagant and I have my XD so I didn't feel the need for two pistols. On a side not I have had more feed issues with my XD then I did with my Hi-Point.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    If the pistol is just going to be used for plinking, go for it. If it is going to be used for protection, no way. There is a reason why they are only $160 and do you want to bet your life on it?

Just because it only cost $160 doesn't mean it it is less reliable than a $500 gun.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Good guns. I've had two, a 9mm pistol, and the carbine. Best customer service and warranty in the gun business, bar none. Least expensive fully reliable guns on the market. Accurate.

They are ugly and heavy.

The way I understand it, the company's mission is to make reliable personal protection available to everyone.

Anyone who says they're junk doesn't know what he's talking about. If there was something wrong with one, Hi Point would fix it quickly.

I bought a beat up used carbine at the 1500 one year for $130. It didn't come wtih the scope mounts. I called Hi Point and asked to buy the mount, I had it for free in a couple of days.

I know of unscrupulous people who wanted to put the Hi Point front sight on their Kel Tec Sub2000, so they called Hi Point and got one for free.

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville

So why would I not want to bet my life on it?? If they were honestly that unreliable, then do you really think they would still be in business? This is what I am wanting to clear up. So many people say they are junk just because they're inexpensive. If it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, and is accurate up to 30 yrds, then I'd say its no more junk than most other pistols out there.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    You also hear the owners talk about how great their service is, but what if it breaks at the time you need it most.
    For me I just feel more comfortable carrying something of higher quality when it might mean my life. I know that all guns break, but I'm just trying to put the odds it my favor.
    If you feel good carrying it that's great. I just don't and was offering my:twocents:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Dont own any, but have shot them before. They always went "Bang"
    Sure, they are ugly and heavy! No one denies that!

But not everyone can afford mid range or high dollar firearms-
    So your in the poor house but want protection for you and your family-(this is a cruel world!)

Manufacturer stands 100% behind their product, and it shoots-
    Enough said-just stay safe! Be responsible!

Muzzle Flash

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Valpo
    I like mine . I also was unshure of buying a Hi point because of what people said .Anyway I got a 45 , I like that black monster in my hands.I did have several FTF right out of the box , I wanted to see if I would have any problems . After that I did a buff and fluff and never had another problem with it . And "YES" I would carry it , although I prefer my p3at for carry .

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Anyway I got a 45 , I like that black monster in my hands.

Nobody going to touch this one? OK. :)

I dont own a Hi-Point, I dont carry a gun worth less than 1K bucks these days.

If you gave me one, I would sell it, and buy 100 $$ worth of reloading components.

Now if I was dirt poor, it might be another story.

But nice guns are a joy in themselves.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    I have the C9 9mm and its great. it is ugly and top heavy but a great gun. Shoots like a champ have owned it for 2 years now and have not had an issue with it yet. Hi Points Customer service and warranty is great. I do like my XD better. But bought the C9 to carry when i worked for comcast since i worked in the not so friendly areas of indy doing disconnects.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You want a cheap, reliable, decent gun? get one. Later on when you hit the jackpot you can upgrade to a Kimber and the the awful customer service that comes with it. :scratch:

Many panty-wastes cry about how they look, but I could not give a rat's a$$. It's not remotely the point.

I for one would not have an expensive carry or truck gun. There's a lot of ways to get it taken from you , never to be seen again :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The carbines, from my experience at the range, are the bee's knees. Very reliable, fairly accurate, albeit low capacity (though I think a VERY fast 9mm HP accurately shot will put down whatever may be the pest dujour). The handguns are another story.

I am actually fairly mixed on their handguns. The ones I have seen as an RO are hit or miss. Somethings that are skewing my bad/decent/good views are:
    Unreliable ones: Small parts breakage, damaged mags are usual culprits. Most of the jams I have seen were with guns that the person didn't even clean when they initially bought the gun or from cheap ammo (gunshow reloads).
    Good ones: We had a .45 Hi Point that someone had got from a coworker for $20. Told us to "shoot 'er up, I dun't care if you blow 'er up". We proceeded, much to the owner's giggling delight, to run 100 rounds of my handloaded .45 Super down it's barrel. Nary a wobble and fairly accurate too (admittedly we flinched quite a bit initially due to fears of becoming colloquially known as "Slide Face").

I am interested in the C9 as a center console gun for the car. I actually like the triggers and I have built 1911s! :D Spongey, but fairly nice break and consistant. Hmmmm.. :D

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have owned the 9mm handgun and would (probably will) buy another. It is a good gun for the glove box or truck and if someone breaks in and steals it - no biggie. I also own the 9mm TS carbine. It is the most fun gun to shoot and easy on the wallet. Never a problem with either and they shoot any ammo - even the cheapest.
    Go for it.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Never had a problem with the C9. Just like everyone else said, they are ugly, heavy and go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I don't care for the factory sights that come with the hand guns, but like them on the carbines.

If you are cash strapped and need a hand gun, look at High Point and Kel Tecs. i really like my little Kel Tec P-3AT as a pocket gun.

Both companies have good guns for the lower price range.:twocents:

Top Bottom