• ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Hi All,
    Here's an interesting article on stopping power of common handgun cartridges based on data compiled over 10 years from actual gun fights. This is written by a firearms instructor for a central-Ohio PD. It compares everything from .22lr all the way up to .50AE.

Conclusion
    This study took me a long time and a lot of effort to complete. Despite the work it took, I'm glad I did it. The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately...even the lowly .22s. I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.

An Alternate Look at Hangun Stopping Power

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.

Didn't read the link but the quote above is pretty much the conclusion I have come to as well.

Shot placement coupled with equipment familiarity, reliability and ammunition capacity capabilities have replaced my "I need BIG Bullets" thought process.

That being said, I rarely carry any self defense pistol that holds less than 8 rounds of .40 or .45 with 2-3 spare mags.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've said it for years: arguing about stopping power among pistol cartridges is like Army Privates arguing about rank. Sure, you might have a few days more in service, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean crap, you're still an E-nothing.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For anyone interested in learning about Marshall, Sanow, one-shot stops, and "stopping power:"

Book Review: Handgun Stopping Power - The Definitive Study
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/sanow.pdf
    Book Review: Street Stoppers
    Sanow Strikes (Out) Again
    Discrepancies in the Marshall & Sanow "Data Base": An Evaluation Over Time
    Undeniable Evidence
    The Marshall & Sanow "Data" - Statistical Analysis Tells the Ugly Story
    Reality of the Street? A Practical Analysis of Offender Gunshot Wound Reaction

These are articles by Col. Martin L. Fackler, founder of the International Wound Ballistics Association, Dr. Gary K. Roberts of the Letterman Institute, Eugene Wolberg, Duncan MacPherson, and other reputable authorities.

BBQ GURU

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    North Side of Indy
    This is fascinating. Just reinforces in my mind the need to try many calibers and delivery systems (guns), to find out what fits YOU the best. Once you have the right equipment for YOU, confidence and practice allows one to maximize their effectiveness.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for that link, good stuff. Of course I always like to see stuff that supports my opinion.;) Glad to see that he metioned a large part is due to physchological stops not actually physical. This works both ways people, just because you are shot, DON"T GIVE UP, many people have taken a lot of rounds and kept going, you can too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    But what about the need to carry the biggest caliber you can to feel more manly?
    I know it's the reason why many carry a .45 and would feel insecure carrying a .380.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Thanks for that link, good stuff. Of course I always like to see stuff that supports my opinion.;) Glad to see that he metioned a large part is due to physchological stops not actually physical. This works both ways people, just because you are shot, DON"T GIVE UP, many people have taken a lot of rounds and kept going, you can too.
    Very true! Rep to you sir! :ingo:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Much like Evan's data it does make the point you are better off with a larger caliber. My opinion is you carry the most powerful gun you can shoot well. If that is a .22 then that is what you carry, if you can handle a .45 and hit with it then that is what you should carry.

Just as there are no magic bullets there are no magic calibers. Recently there was a post concerning an AD where an negligent person shot himself in the leg with a .45. Did not incapacitate him in the least...made him cuss but he was even able to continue filming. Didn't knock him down, didn't make him pass out...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ots_himself_on_video_using_serpa_holster.html

The author of the article in the OP also stated his data did not include shooting through barriers. As an example with things like road rage becoming more and more prevalent these I want a round that will penetrate a barrier. If a road rager forces me off the road and starts shooting from inside his car I want a round the will perform after penetrating a car door.

One last thing I found interesting. His findings showed the .32acp had a better one shot stop percentage when the shot was to the torso/head than every other handgun round. Even the author admits that something is wrong with this data and that there were factors falsely skewing the data. He also did not break the shooting down by bullet types which is something Marshall and Sanow did do.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    great article.... As we all know, it's better to hit someone in vital areas than to hit them in the arm. Just like there is no "magic bullet", there is no "magic study" that defines that magic bullet. The author admits that these findings did not include such factors as barriers and heavy clothing. There is a reason why most people won't go into bear country with anything less than a .44mag or 10mm. (except the goofball that wanted to live with grizzlies with nothing but a camera...they are still finding pieces of him in bear droppings) The best gun to carry is the one that you shoot the best, but IMHO, bigger is always better when it involves projectiles. I will not be swapping my 10mm EDC for a .32 anytime soon! Thanks for posting this link!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Worthless article. The data seems far to shaped by the no name researcher to be valid. I also find it humorous that he did all this work just to conclude that there is no magic bullet, that shot placement and a reliable weapon are more important than caliber. Imagine that.

There are several things more important that caliber but when the time comes for that choice there are a few points that can't be overlooked. The only time caliber doesn't matter is with perfect shot placement(assuming adequate penetration) and psychological stops. In all other scenarios the more blood that is let out the faster incapacitation occurs. Big holes let out more blood than small holes.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Worthless article. The data seems far to shaped by the no name researcher to be valid. I also find it humorous that he did all this work just to conclude that there is no magic bullet, that shot placement and a reliable weapon are more important than caliber. Imagine that.

There are several things more important that caliber but when the time comes for that choice there are a few points that can't be overlooked. The only time caliber doesn't matter is with perfect shot placement(assuming adequate penetration) and psychological stops. In all other scenarios the more blood that is let out the faster incapacitation occurs. Big holes let out more blood than small holes.

:+1: :yesway:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

Where is your study?

Top Bottom