• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I haven't been out squirrel hunting for a few years but I think Ill give a try this year. Does anybody have any recipes they would be willing to share I haven't cooked any myself before, My grandpa always cooked them but since he passed I haven't gone squirrel hunting. Hoping to go to Hoosier National Forest and get some next month

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Brown meat in oil and the add water/salt/pepper/garlic/ect cook until tender add onion cook more (should start to fall off the bone) remove tree rat and make a gravy. Make up some egg noodles add to plate with gravy on top and tree rat on the side.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I like to boil mine until tender, then i take them out and season them with just pepper and salt and then fry till brown. Especially on large greys or reds. You can also bake them in foil with some red potatoes and carrots and onions and they come out pretty good too. Small greys are fine to just be seasoned and fried.

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    Lotta good recipes for squirrel out there. Here's one that I think is one of the best. I've made it about 5 times now. I have modified it some. I dropped the half in half and replaced it with a can of condensed milk. I also add at least 2 cans of whole kernel corn to the recipe. Depending upon the size of the squirrels, I've added up to 12[boned out] to the recipe. You can also cut the recipe in half to make a smaller amount. In addition, you can freeze it in tupperware bowls and nuke it for a quick meal. Give it a try.

New England-Style Cream-Based Squirrel Chowder | Field & Stream

Mad Dog

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    OK...I admit that I like salt, so here is what we do. Boil or crock pot the hind legs in water with soy sauce until tender,then we put them on metal skewers and brown them on a charcoal grill or in a campfire.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you've got several, you can make a mean batch of BBQ sandwichs. Boil them for a bit until you can pull the meat off the bone like pulled pork. Put the shredded meat in a crock pot with your favorite BBQ sauce and let it slow cook.

Makes it easy to find any shot you may have missed too, so you don't have to worry about chomping down on it and hurting your tooth.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Squirrel recipes

I'm so glad you started this thread.

I've been tired of my squirrel's recipes for years now.
    All he ever cooks for dinner is -

"Squirrel's Nuts Salad".... which consists of -

- aged unearthed walnuts,
    - sprinkled with pine seeds,
    - with a dash of mushrooms in a bowl. I'm Sick of it.

Sometimes he'll break into my peanut butter to dip his nuts into. He calls that his "Squirrel's Nuts Fondue".
    I'm hoping I could pick up some other recipes from you guys for my squirrel.

Thanks INGO. :n00b:

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive always enjoyed squirrel stir fry. I got a wok as a present a few years ago and squirrel does just fine. Cut it up into small pieces and add veggies and spices, then noodles right before its done. I've always enjoyed feeding game meat to people without them knowing what it is... they always love it until they know what it is

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, now we need a good youtube video to show the noobs the proper way to skin a squirrel.

[video=youtube_share;HUUR6lxnAME]http://youtu.be/HUUR6lxnAME[/video]

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    *Warning your wife will hate me.
    Place 3-4 in a crock pot with salt water(*this is the warning part,the crock will never taste or smell the same.Best to not use your wife's only crock pot!).
    Let them cook on low over night.Get a bowl of clean cold water.Start shredding/removing bones.Be thorough and get all the bones out.Place back in the cleaned crock.Add your favorite barbeque sauce and enough water to cover.Cook for another hour(or until hot).
    Pulled squirrel sandwiches are wonderful :)

Top Bottom