• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This is downright scary. This ties right into these recent discussions about cops *not* needing a warrant -- simply breaking into a home "on a hunch" that crimes were being committed.

In this instance, Denver police broke into a home expecting to find drugs and prostitution. The police brought no warrant, but did bring violence from the offset. The Martinez family had committed no crimes, but were forced to defend themselves against a bunch of uniformed home invaders. Their lawsuit contends that one boy's head was put through a window, his brother was slammed outside on the concrete and punched in the face.

To top it off the father & 3 sons were charged with assaulting police officers (who were breaking into their home and assaulting them for no reason). All the officers were exonerated by internal affairs.

Can we honestly claim that this country has not devolved into Fascism?? Here we are investigating 2 different "vice" crimes, that have no real victim. In order to keep people safe from these scary voluntary exchanges, we pay people to go stomp in the heads of the supposed offenders. Give me a break. Find some real crimes to pursue, you know, like breaking & entering, assault... and get a warrant if you don't want to be viewed as a traitor to the constitution by people like me.

Lawsuit says Denver Police beat up family in home

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    I used to live in Denver and there is some crooked s**t that goes on. It is not the first time I've heard of similar instances. But not much you can do. The badge gives them the authority. I wish a few bad apples blah, blah, blah. I imagine a money hungry defense lawyer will be on the case trying to make a name for himself.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I don't pretend to know anything about the Denver PD.

But...does it mean anything that their internal affairs investigation and an independent police monitor found that the allegations against the officers were unfounded?
    No, it doesn't. It is IMO the same thing as the closing ranks around officer Basard in the IMPD. If there was "no reason to suspect alcohol was involved" then why was the FATAL ALCOHOL CRASH TEAM called in? And not even the on duty team at that. Closing ranks, protecting their own, nothing more.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    No, it doesn't. It is IMO the same thing as the closing ranks around officer Basard in the IMPD. If there was "no reason to suspect alcohol was involved" then why was the FATAL ALCOHOL CRASH TEAM called in? And not even the on duty team at that. Closing ranks, protecting their own, nothing more.
    If in the Denver case, charges were filed against the officers involved and they were found not guilty by a jury, would that be enough to convince you that there was no wrong-doing on the part of the officers?

Edit: Or I suppose I should ask...because a lawsuit has been filed...if the outcome of the current lawsuit exonerates the officers, would that convince you they did nothing wrong in this case?

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Can you imagine what would happen if a situation like this occurred in Indiana? I think there would have been a completely different outcome. If armed intruders have made it past your living room you've made a mistake :twocents:

I DO find it suspect that IA cleared the officers of wrongdoing. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that Law Enforcement (especially certain Departments) cannot be trusted at this time. Until changes are made, the public will continue to distrust Law Enforcement, and situations such as this only serve to reinforce this view.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    If in the Denver case, charges were filed against the officers involved and they were found not guilty by a jury, would that be enough to convince you that there was no wrong-doing on the part of the officers?

Edit: Or I suppose I should ask...because a lawsuit has been filed...if the outcome of the current lawsuit exonerates the officers, would that convince you they did nothing wrong in this case?

No, not at all. It would simply mean that a jury of their peers found them not-guilty. Juries are fallible---this has been proven time and time again. :twocents:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    So, in summary... It doesn't really matter what the police do at this time...they will be in the wrong. They are guilty before the trial...and after, no matter the outcome.

Sad state of affairs, IMO...but thanks for the replies.

I would also be interested in hearing the opinions of others on the matter, please?

Thanks in advance.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    So, in summary... It doesn't really matter what the police do at this time...they will be in the wrong. They are guilty before the trial...and after, no matter the outcome.

I would also be interested in hearing the opinions of others on the matter, please?

Thanks in advance.

No---you're wrong. You twisted my words. I am simply stating that the actions of all Law Enforcement need to be held under intense scrutiny at this time. I can understand why many officers would not want to be held accountable. The fact is---Law Enforcement officers have earned the extra scrutiny and distrust.

Just so my words can't be twisted again---LEOs should NOT be considered guilty before the trial---their actions should simply be held under intense scrutiny, and if no wrong has been committed, then they should be acquitted. It's time for LEOs to be held accountable by the people they are sworn to serve.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009

A civil suit (assuming that's what's been filed) cannot exonerate them. All it can do is award reparations or not award them. Look at OJ, not guilty, but libel for a LOT of money in the civil suit. And the reverse holds true from time to time as well, just no high profile cases that I can recall at the moment. The point is that there was no warrant, and seemingly not even PC. Even with PC, and even if the suspects resisted, there is no cause for this sort of behavior PERIOD. When an unknown party busts the door down, resistance should just be expected, this by no means allows the "intruders" to just beat the crap out of "suspects". Suspects are still innocent until proven guilty and that's just a FACT that ALL LEOs need to come to grips with if they EVER intend for people to quit viewing them in a negative light PERIOD. Seriously, when a LEO goes on trial or is accused of something, the first thing the cry and whine about is the whole innocent until proven guilty thing. Is this now a one way street in America? If so then case closed, we are a fascist state.
    I don't pretend to know anything about the Denver PD.

But...does it mean anything that their internal affairs investigation and an independent police monitor found that the allegations against the officers were unfounded?
    The article says NOTHING about an independent police monitor, where did you get that? Also it says ALLEGATIONS of drugs and hookers. So if I make an anonymous report about a neighbor I don't like and claim he's running a crack house/brothel does that make it okay to kick his door in and beat the crap out of his family? That's an "allegation" right?

Last edited:

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I would like to see the official police report before making any judgements about this. How many officers were in the residence? It seems like the door was not kicked in but that entry was made after the father opened the door to some degree. That's not to say that once the door is open, LE has the right to enter.

Knock and talks are used a lot for criminal and drug interdiction. If that was the tactic being used, I'd like to know more about what lead to the police being inside the house and then what lead to the violence. Also, if there are more than 2 or 3 officers present for a knock and talk, this would raise a red flag for me as it would appear that they had more in mind than just talking (also, the tactic is not as effective for 2 reasons: First. a DA can state that the presence of 5 officers on the porch and around the house intimidated the home-owner into doing something that they would not have done normally and Second: the presence of a lot of officers does not lead to someone wanting to talk as much as a man-to-man conversation where someone doesn't feel out-numbered).

Either way, taking the word of the very liberal Denver media would be jumping to conclusions without considering the other side of the story. The findings of the Internal Affairs Division must be considered when making a judgement in this case.

Dredd

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010

Thanks in advance.

:+1: !!!!! READ this mans words carefully. It dosent matter what police do they are always wrong in somepeoples mind. I dont care if its a drug bust or writing speeding tickets, there is always somebody who hates what we are doing. now you guys cant even accept that the officers were exsonerated from all wrongdoing by an investigation team. What more is it going to take, a witch hunt?? They didnt beat em up!! The family just wanted to get there 15 minutes of fame and get some officers in trouble. Probably were worried the border patrol was coming for them. You guys need to get a hobby and quit tryin to ruin officers lifes with your lies! Pubic servant hits another home run!!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    :+1: !!!!! READ this mans words carefully. It dosent matter what police do they are always wrong in somepeoples mind. I dont care if its a drug bust or writing speeding tickets, there is always somebody who hates what we are doing. now you guys cant even accept that the officers were exsonerated from all wrongdoing by an investigation team. What more is it going to take, a witch hunt?? They didnt beat em up!! The family just wanted to get there 15 minutes of fame and get some officers in trouble. Probably were worried the border patrol was coming for them. You guys need to get a hobby and quit tryin to ruin officers lifes with your lies! Pubic servant hits another home run!!
    :rolleyes::lmfao:What a waste of bandwidth.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not to hijack the thread but it was FACT team 6 that was called. They only respond to SBI/fatal crashes where alcohol is NOT involved. The team is made up of accident re-constructionists that are fatal certified. FACT Teams 1-5 are the teams called if alcohol is involved. But of course I did not expect you to know that. People ASSUME they know the details and make their minds based on those assumptions.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Wheres the dash cam? No one made sure a car was pointed towards the house? If one camera was aimed at the front door then we would see if they kicked in the door, he opened the door and the leo's rushed in or if they were invited in. We would also know if the one son was face planted outside the house. Without this evidence I tend to go with the civilians..because it seems way to easy for the camera's to malfunction, be off or pointed in the wrong direction whenever allegations like this are made against the popo.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

Thanks in advance.

as part of their official responsibilities,,,cops have to prove they are right beyond a resonable doubt... if they fail to do that,,,they get tried where the prosecutor only has to show that the cops failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the cops actions were correct...

dont be wrong... is that so goshdarned hard??? youre playing with serious things here....like peoples lives freedom and homes... you need to get this right all the time... or find another job...

Top Bottom