• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    At least he is saying what we want to hear, you mean. I have a hard time trusting anyone on guns that has spent their entire adult life donating to Democrats.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    We'll see if he's still here in May. Cruz will get mine. I'd prefer someone who's spent more than the last election cycle saying what I'd like to hear.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    His entire 2nd Amendment platform is great:

[h=1]PROTECTING OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN[/h] Donald J. Trump on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    The Second Amendment to our Constitution is clear. The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed upon. Period.

The Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right that belongs to all law-abiding Americans. The Constitution doesn’t create that right – it ensures that the government can’t take it away. Our Founding Fathers knew, and our Supreme Court has upheld, that the Second Amendment’s purpose is to guarantee our right to defend ourselves and our families. This is about self-defense, plain and simple.

It’s been said that the Second Amendment is America’s first freedom. That’s because the Right to Keep and Bear Arms protects all our other rights. We are the only country in the world that has a Second Amendment. Protecting that freedom is imperative. Here’s how we will do that:

Enforce The Laws On The Books

We need to get serious about prosecuting violent criminals. The Obama administration’s record on that is abysmal. Violent crime in cities like Baltimore, Chicago and many others is out of control. Drug dealers and gang members are given a slap on the wrist and turned loose on the street. This needs to stop.

Several years ago there was a tremendous program in Richmond, Virginia called Project Exile. It said that if a violent felon uses a gun to commit a crime, you will be prosecuted in federal court and go to prison for five years – no parole or early release. Obama’s former Attorney General, Eric Holder, called that a “cookie cutter” program. That’s ridiculous. I call that program a success. Murders committed with guns in Richmond decreased by over 60% when Project Exile was in place – in the first two years of the program alone, 350 armed felons were taken off the street.

Why does that matter to law-abiding gun owners? Because they’re the ones who anti-gun politicians and the media blame when criminals misuse guns. We need to bring back and expand programs like Project Exile and get gang members and drug dealers off the street. When we do, crime will go down and our cities and communities will be safer places to live.

Here’s another important way to fight crime – empower law-abiding gun owners to defend themselves. Law enforcement is great, they do a tremendous job, but they can’t be everywhere all of the time. Our personal protection is ultimately up to us. That’s why I’m a gun owner, that’s why I have a concealed carry permit, and that’s why tens of millions of Americans have concealed carry permits as well. It’s just common sense. To make America great again, we’re going to go after criminals and put the law back on the side of the law-abiding.

Fix Our Broken Mental Health System

Let’s be clear about this. Our mental health system is broken. It needs to be fixed. Too many politicians have ignored this problem for too long.

All of the tragic mass murders that occurred in the past several years have something in common – there were red flags that were ignored. We can’t allow that to continue. We need to expand treatment programs, because most people with mental health problems aren’t violent, they just need help. But for those who are violent, a danger to themselves or others, we need to get them off the street before they can terrorize our communities. This is just common sense.

And why does this matter to law-abiding gun owners? Once again, because they get blamed by anti-gun politicians, gun control groups and the media for the acts of deranged madmen. When one of these tragedies occurs, we can count on two things: one, that opponents of gun rights will immediately exploit it to push their political agenda; and two, that none of their so-called “solutions” would have prevented the tragedy in the first place. They’ve even admitted it.

We need real solutions to address real problems. Not grandstanding or political agendas.

Defend The Rights of Law-Abiding Gun Owners

GUN AND MAGAZINE BANS. Gun and magazine bans are a total failure. That’s been proven every time it’s been tried. Opponents of gun rights try to come up with scary sounding phrases like “assault weapons”, “military-style weapons” and “high capacity magazines” to confuse people. What they’re really talking about are popular semi-automatic rifles and standard magazines that are owned by tens of millions of Americans. Law-abiding people should be allowed to own the firearm of their choice. The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own.

BACKGROUND CHECKS. There has been a national background check system in place since 1998. Every time a person buys a gun from a federally licensed gun dealer – which is the overwhelming majority of all gun purchases – they go through a federal background check. Study after study has shown that very few criminals are stupid enough to try and pass a background check – they get their guns from friends/family members or by stealing them. So the overwhelming majority of people who go through background checks are law-abiding gun owners. When the system was created, gun owners were promised that it would be instant, accurate and fair. Unfortunately, that isn’t the case today. Too many states are failing to put criminal and mental health records into the system – and it should go without saying that a system’s only going to be as effective as the records that are put into it. What we need to do is fix the system we have and make it work as intended. What we don’t need to do is expand a broken system.

NATIONAL RIGHT TO CARRY. The right of self-defense doesn’t stop at the end of your driveway. That’s why I have a concealed carry permit and why tens of millions of Americans do too. That permit should be valid in all 50 states. A driver’s license works in every state, so it’s common sense that a concealed carry permit should work in every state. If we can do that for driving – which is a privilege, not a right – then surely we can do that for concealed carry, which is a right, not a privilege.

MILITARY BASES AND RECRUITING CENTERS. Banning our military from carrying firearms on bases and at recruiting centers is ridiculous. We train our military how to safely and responsibly use firearms, but our current policies leave them defenseless. To make America great again, we need a strong military. To have a strong military, we need to allow them to defend themselves.

Straight from his site: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/second-amendment-rights

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    We'll see if he's still here in May. Cruz will get mine. I'd prefer someone who's spent more than the last election cycle saying what I'd like to hear.

^^^I agree with this, Cruz is my candidate. He is also quite a lot calmer and methodical than Trump, a quality that I think will serve our nation well^^^

As I still haven't decided on my candidate yet, I'm hoping this will inspire the other republicans to take the same position on GFZs.

^^^There is wisdom in this.^^^ FWIW, knowing Cruz's positions on things, it would not surprise me if he takes the exact same line.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have a hard time trusting anyone on guns that has spent their entire adult life donating to Democrats.

While factually true, you have to understand the nature of being a businessman operating in Democratic strongholds. It comes with the territory. And not just on one side of the aisle, you got to pay to play and have a seat at the table. It is a sickening and unfortunate fact of our system.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. 1000 times this. If a candidate is not on this page, I'm not voting for them.....Period.

NATIONAL RIGHT TO CARRY. The right of self-defense doesn’t stop at the end of your driveway. That’s why I have a concealed carry permit and why tens of millions of Americans do too. That permit should be valid in all 50 states. A driver’s license works in every state, so it’s common sense that a concealed carry permit should work in every state. If we can do that for driving – which is a privilege, not a right – then surely we can do that for concealed carry, which is a right, not a privilege.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    As I still haven't decided on my candidate yet, I'm hoping this will inspire the other republicans to take the same position on GFZs.
    :+1:
    If none of the other GOP candidates have this thinking, he'll get my vote.

I wonder what Hillary thinks of GFZ's.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The Republicans walk the NRA line and refuse to even limited restrictions. I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.

--Donald Trump, The America We Deserve

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This. 1000 times this. If a candidate is not on this page, I'm not voting for them.....Period.

Federal law is not why our licenses are valid in other states. For selfish reasons I'd like there to be constitutional carry, for practical reasons I want the states to keep that power (instead of the feds).

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes, I understand that it's because it's currently a state issue. States currently dictate their licensing procedure, carry laws, and what other state licensing they honor.

This is one of the rare instances that I'd like to see the Federal Government get involved. It really is a problem that I'm licensed in my home state, and other states don't accept my licensing. With drivers licenses, I'm licensed by my home state, but all other states accept that licensing (as long as I drive according to that states laws) because the .gov forces it. I don't see why the federal .gov should treat firearm licensing any differently.

The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed at the federal level. It makes sense that they should step in and force states to honor other states licensing.

This is, however, disregarding my opinion that forcing me to gain a license and forcing me to pay money to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right is bogus in the first place.

Federal law is not why our licenses are valid in other states. For selfish reasons I'd like there to be constitutional carry, for practical reasons I want the states to keep that power (instead of the feds).

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

My Daddy always said "Wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see which one fills up first."

His entire 2nd Amendment platform is great:
    Straight from his site: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/second-amendment-rights

Nixon surprised me when he kept his promise to pull the troops out of Viet Nam.
    Reagan pleased me when he kept promises.
    Opie has kept his promise to fundamentally transform America.

FWIW, knowing Cruz's positions on things, it would not surprise me if he takes the exact same line.

It would be nice if he were to say it, but he hasn't. He can't seem too conservative that would render him un-electable. Like Trump.

So who else has said it?

The Republicans walk the NRA line and refuse to even limited restrictions. I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.

--Donald Trump, The America We Deserve

Good find.

I am not a Trump apologist, I just don't see others on the platform making policy statements. As for Trump "just saying things to convince us he is conservative", why would he want to alienate the anti's? Why would he want to curry favor with the conservative base?

Can a person actually change their mind? I have.

Every other candidate that has been foisted upon us recently has pandered to the left to thy to get the "independent" vote.

I don't see Trump Pandering to the left. Has anyone ever pandered to the right?

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Can a person actually change their mind? I have.

This. In the after math of the elementary school shooting in CT, my first thought was we needed to add mental history to the background check process. After more time and thought on the matter, I do not trust an overreaching government entity, which is partially composed of a faction that would prefer we are all disarmed, to make the distinction of who is mentally stable and who is not. I, on the most basic level, do not trust a politically motivated person to fairly make such a determination without being influenced by their own prejudice and ignorance. Our 'illustrious' president has become the mouth piece for gun control despite never having owned a firearm in his life... while being surrounded by armed guards 24/7. Hillary Clinton proclaimed firearms do not make us safer (in reference to the increased firearms sales when ever people like her open their mouths) while surrounded by armed guards. I have no use for such people, and even less faith.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    This. In the after math of the elementary school shooting in CT, my first thought was we needed to add mental history to the background check process. After more time and thought on the matter, I do not trust an overreaching government entity, which is partially composed of a faction that would prefer we are all disarmed, to make the distinction of who is mentally stable and who is not. I, on the most basic level, do not trust a politically motivated person to fairly make such a determination without being influenced by their own prejudice and ignorance. Our 'illustrious' president has become the mouth piece for gun control despite never having owned a firearm in his life... while being surrounded by armed guards 24/7. Hillary Clinton proclaimed firearms do not make us safer (in reference to the increased firearms sales when ever people like her open their mouths) while surrounded by armed guards. I have no use for such people, and even less faith.

This is why the anti-gunners always dance in the blood and try to immediately pass something. Their only chance is to do it in the heat of the moment before people have a chance to calm down and THINK.

:+1: to you sir!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

All 50 states issue such licenses to their own residents. On the basis of the second amendment (RKBA), fourteenth amendment (equal protection of the laws), and numerous court decisions, it is entirely appropriate and constitutional for the federal government to require reciprocity of state-issued resident carry licenses.

Top Bottom