• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Some lowlife SOB's burned an American flag in my neighborhood last night. I live in the Old Town section of Madison where every body is friendly and to my knowledge patriotic. Crime has been at an all time low, an occasional DWI. But, early this morning (after midnight) all that changed. The LEO who took the report shrugged it off as probably some kids out getting into mischief. It is a sad commentary that anybody would stoop so low as to commit this kind of act of violence. You better believe that five of my neighbors are ready to start patrolling our once quite, safe neighborhood. It really pissed me off at the attitude the investigating LEO took about the whole matter.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Like it or not, people have the right to be irreverent. It's what makes us free. I'm more concerned with the vigilante attitude of neighbors who are looking to pick a fight with some kid for burning a flag.

The flag is a symbol of our freedom. I wonder if people get as upset when ACTUAL liberty is threatened as they do when the flag is burned? (Not you OP, generally speaking) if the country keeps going the way it is, will it be the patriots who burning the flag?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We'll "assume" you mean if it's their personal flag and not someone elses property!

This is my question. Besides, just because it's not a murder, why dismiss it? There aren't very many safe places to live and if you allow the small things, get prepared for the big ones.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I took the OP to mean someone's property, in this case the U.S. Flag, was destroyed.

I thought it was his flag since the police were involved. If somebody burned my personal U.S. Flag (as a matter of law, because I don't think anybody can actually own the stars and stripes, they are just on loan) then they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Not sure who coined the phrase, but it sums up my thoughts on this pretty well: "The time to burn the US flag is when the government says you can't".

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Some lowlife SOB's burned an American flag in my neighborhood last night. I live in the Old Town section of Madison where every body is friendly and to my knowledge patriotic. Crime has been at an all time low, an occasional DWI. But, early this morning (after midnight) all that changed. The LEO who took the report shrugged it off as probably some kids out getting into mischief. It is a sad commentary that anybody would stoop so low as to commit this kind of act of violence. You better believe that five of my neighbors are ready to start patrolling our once quite, safe neighborhood. It really pissed me off at the attitude the investigating LEO took about the whole matter.

Act of violence? Who was hurt? If nobody, then so what? They have every right to.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    The flag was attached to a flag pole like people use on the front of their home or business. The flag was made of nylon and melted onto the street and gutter as it burned with remnants stuck to the asphalt and the aluminum flag pole was laying out in the street. I hardly think that is the proper way to burn the American flag. I disagree that anyone has the right to disgrace what the American flag stands for no matter what their political beliefs are, and this was a disgraceful act. I don't know who the flag and flag pole belonged to.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Like it or not, people have the right to be irreverent. It's what makes us free. I'm more concerned with the vigilante attitude of neighbors who are looking to pick a fight with some kid for burning a flag.

The flag is a symbol of our freedom. I wonder if people get as upset when ACTUAL liberty is threatened as they do when the flag is burned? (Not you OP, generally speaking) if the country keeps going the way it is, will it be the patriots who burning the flag?

My neighbors do not have a vigilante attitude because they are concerned about their right to live in a peaceful neighborhood where people can sit out at night or day or walk around the neighborhood without having to be armed to the teeth. What if I decided to burn the American flag or the Indiana flag in the street in front of your house at 2 or 3 a.m, what would you do or say? "Oh well, it's his right to burn a flag that was probably stolen, because our country has gone to hell anyway". Please don't take my 'what if' as a personal assault on you, but it does seem like that's the attitude of some of the replies I've read. You and your neighbors have the right to protect your property, insure the peace and tranquility you have a right to, without being labeled as having a vigilante attitude. Also, In my opinion that flag represents the freedom and liberty that my forefathers fought for, that my brothers and I fought for, my neighbors and some friends fought for. JMHO

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Oh hell, if it was MY flag someone attempted to steal and burn I'd just whoop their ass.

But that's not the point. We don't need more thought police in this country. You want to burn your own American flag; have at it. I don't have to like it, but it ain't a flag that makes this country, it's the ideas of freedom and liberty. When this country no longer represents those ideals, I'll be burning my own flag.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    My neighbors do not have a vigilante attitude because they are concerned about their right to live in a peaceful neighborhood where people can sit out at night or day or walk around the neighborhood without having to be armed to the teeth. What if I decided to burn the American flag or the Indiana flag in the street in front of your house at 2 or 3 a.m, what would you do or say? "Oh well, it's his right to burn a flag that was probably stolen, because our country has gone to hell anyway". Please don't take my 'what if' as a personal assault on you, but it does seem like that's the attitude of some of the replies I've read. You and your neighbors have the right to protect your property, insure the peace and tranquility you have a right to, without being labeled as having a vigilante attitude. Also, In my opinion that flag represents the freedom and liberty that my forefathers fought for, that my brothers and I fought for, my neighbors and some friends fought for. JMHO

If it was stolen and done in a threatening manner then my response would be different. Otherwise I am not seeing the threat which you seem to be seeing. What part of the story am I missing?

Top Bottom