• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Oh hell, if it was MY flag someone attempted to steal and burn I'd just whoop their ass.

But that's not the point. We don't need more thought police in this country. You want to burn your own American flag; have at it. I don't have to like it, but it ain't a flag that makes this country, it's the ideas of freedom and liberty. When this country no longer represents those ideals, I'll be burning my own flag.

What he said. x10

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Oh hell, if it was MY flag someone attempted to steal and burn I'd just whoop their ass.

But that's not the point. We don't need more thought police in this country. You want to burn your own American flag; have at it. I don't have to like it, but it ain't a flag that makes this country, it's the ideas of freedom and liberty. When this country no longer represents those ideals, I'll be burning my own flag.
    Very well said Rockhopper.
    I spent over 21 years active duty USAF, sworn to "support and defend the constitution of the United States..." that includes the 1st amendment rights of those I disagree with. That said, I never met a flag burner I didn't want to curb-stomp.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There are no standards anymore. People can lie about their veteran status because it's their freedom of speech. We can burn the American flag as a symbol of free speech. We can call our women *****es and whores and that's fine; I assume freedom if speech, too. Our kids (boys and girls) walk around with their underwear showing and that's freedom of speech. To say anything is wrong is a sign of intolerance. Oh well, I have two little ones I can influence. Hopefully they will know that if they stand for nothing, they certainly fall for anything.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There are no standards anymore. People can lie about their veteran status because it's their freedom of speech. We can burn the American flag as a symbol of free speech. We can call our women *****es and whores and that's fine; I assume freedom if speech, too. Our kids (boys and girls) walk around with their underwear showing and that's freedom of speech. To say anything is wrong is a sign of intolerance. Oh well, I have two little ones I can influence. Hopefully they will know that if they stand for nothing, they certainly fall for anything.

Bravo!:patriot:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a lot of friends who died serving under that flag. It means a lot to me. But I know in my heart that if someone is prosecuted for burning that symbol then will surely have died in vain. If someone is stupid enough to burn the symbol of their very right to express their free speech, well...I thank God they still have the right to be so stupid. That's all I have to say on that subject.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    How many of them would burn a stack of $100 bills? We abuse and even destroy what we do not value. Is it illegal to deface money? We can destroy our flag, but we have a law in place to protect our money. I wonder why?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Philosophically, it's a good question. Practically, it's because the easiest way to make it counterfeit $100 bill is to start with a $1 bill and deface it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    There are no standards anymore. People can lie about their veteran status because it's their freedom of speech...
    And that's something I wholeheartedly and vehemently disagree with. IMO, it's no different than impersonating a LEO or any other such fraud.
    As far as the American flag issue, it appears it was stolen and burned. So, those yabos need :bash:

Of course, burning it for disposal is propriety. If someone wants to burn theirs in 'protest', I'll hate it, but I am compelled to defend it. If I truly believe in the Constitution, then I 'must' defend those freedoms for those with whom I most fervently disagree. That's the discipline.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    No witnesses to the crime. Unless someone comes forward, there is not much for the officer to do OTHER than take a report. Here, I'd take a report but it would never get assigned a detective without a witness.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And that's something I wholeheartedly and vehemently disagree with. IMO, it's no different than impersonating a LEO or any other such fraud.
    As far as the American flag issue, it appears it was stolen and burned. So, those yabos need :bash:

Of course, burning it for disposal is propriety. If someone wants to burn theirs in 'protest', I'll hate it, but I am compelled to defend it. If I truly believe in the Constitution, then I 'must' defend those freedoms for those with whom I most fervently disagree. That's the discipline.

I will defend their RIGHT to burn the flag in protest. That does not mean that I will not disagree with their CHOICE in doing so. And I might give them an earful of my disagreement. Just because someone has the RIGHT to do something does not necessarily make it the right thing to do. I will not stop them from doing it - after all , it is their right. But they will not stop me from disagreeing with their choice - as that is my right.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I will defend their RIGHT to burn the flag in protest. That does not mean that I will not disagree with their CHOICE in doing so. And I might give them an earful of my disagreement. Just because someone has the RIGHT to do something does not necessarily make it the right thing to do. I will not stop them from doing it - after all , it is their right. But they will not stop me from disagreeing with their choice - as that is my right.

Yep. It's the speech you don't like that has to be protected. The right to say it has to be protected, that is. You don't have the right to be heard nor the right to say what you want without contest.

gravitas73

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    It means different things to different people. To me, the act of burning the flag is not a form of disrespect to the country, but a form of disobedience to the government.

Some may say to fly it upside down instead then, well even that gets similar reactions to people, usually vets, maybe because they are most likely to know what it means.

When I see someone burn a flag, the first thing I think is, what action of the government are they protesting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We have come frighteningly close to a law in the past decade that made it illegal.

Indiana has had a law on the books since 1977 that makes it illegal, but I think it'd get tossed out on its ear if an arrest was ever made under it. I'm guess it hangs out on the books because no politician has the cojones to be the one to try and repeal it, his opponent would instantly use that as an attack ad.

IC 35-45-1-4
    Flag desecration
    Sec. 4. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally mutilates, defaces, burns, or tramples any United States flag, standard, or ensign commits flag desecration, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) This section does not apply to a person who disposes of a flag in accordance with 36 U.S.C. 176(k).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No witnesses to the crime. Unless someone comes forward, there is not much for the officer to do OTHER than take a report. Here, I'd take a report but it would never get assigned a detective without a witness.

No victim, either, since he said he doesn't know who the flag belongs to.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Were they "burning" it, or "retiring" it?

You retire a flag with fire. It's a matter of how you do it.

:yesway:.......Yup.......ain't s'pose ta jus'.....toss 1 out/in with'a trash......proper way is fire.....

:yesway:.......Yup.........the rights an' freedoms it stands for.......it'a double edge blade......

Top Bottom