• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What is the point of this phrase being used in an LGS?

First off, I understand if they're talking about a gun. I've never bought a gun online, but it sure seems like less of a headache to let them just order it.

But what about acessories? Do they not realize that we can order from Midway, Brownell's, etc.? I understand that they want our business, but I doubt that it would be cheaper for us because they do have to make money.

So is there any advantage to letting them order it for us?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    At least 75,000 items from 20,000 manufacturers are out there. No body can stock everything, and if they did the government would put them out of business with inventory tax. They are at least willing to try to help you. Sometimes you have an experienced store owner that can tell you things like "we used to sell them but since they changed the design, every time I sell one, the guy brings it back broken". If the local shop has a range, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to help keep the place open.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Having worked in a gunshop, I can speak from experience.

There are so many different guns and gun related products (guns, accessories, ammo, reloading, etc), including variations of the same product (colors, finishes, caliber, etc) that it's impossible to stock everything.

Not only do you get taxed for inventory like Leo mentioned above, but you only have so much store/shelf/floor space to put stuff.

Also, when you stock a bunch of stuff, that ties up your money in that inventory until it sells.

Take this for example. Would you use gunshop money to stock a $1-2000 gun, that may take months to sell? Or would you rather take that $1-2k and buy a handful of glocks that sell quickly?
    Not to mention that margins are razor thin, especially with high cost guns.
    Not to mention that costs do change with time. The shop may stock a gun that it paid $900 for, and is marking up to $1000. Months later, the cost of that same gun may go down to $800, so that competing shops can sell it cheaper, and your shop will either be forced to keep the gun longer, or take a loss to move it and free up money.

There's just no way to stock everything and still keep the lights on. It's much much easier to order stuff when you know it's sold.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Typically gun stores don't order from Midway or Brownell's and they don't pay what you pay, they pay wholesale. It might be worth asking what it would cost if they did order if for you, it's possible they could beat the price you'd pay elsewhere.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    In my experience we could usually match pricing from online retailers on most items. Especially if the customer was buying a gun or making a larger purchase. Good repeat customers often get better pricing too.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I wish an LGS would take my order. I have been inquiring about placing a special order on a firearm and it seems like no LGS is interested.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Just to clear it up, I completely understand why stores don't/can't stock everything. Overhead is a *****. My main question was if there is any advantage to having them order it over having it shipped to your door. The only thing I can come up with is that it supports their business, even if only a little bit.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Before you have the LGS order for you, be sure to clarify if they charge any extra for the trouble, shipping, or FFL fees. You want to be sure you're comparing like-to-like. If you order online from Bud's or GunBroker.com you will likely pay shipping + at least an FFL transfer on this side. That can easily add $50-$75 to the total. So take that into account.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It is tough for a small local shop to compete with online pricing. As a result they can't justify inventory. The trick to managing retail inventory is turnover. Online is slowly driving out the brick and mortar stores.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I tell my wife all the time if you cant gwt it from Amazon it doesn't exist. That's because i hate shopping, but I'll glad drop an extra 50 at my lgs because it keeps them around, i like them and as jwh20 says by the time you add shipping and ffl fees you're there

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Just to clear it up, I completely understand why stores don't/can't stock everything. Overhead is a *****. My main question was if there is any advantage to having them order it over having it shipped to your door. The only thing I can come up with is that it supports their business, even if only a little bit.

If your lgs can get it and sell it to you cheaper, then yes, there is an advantage, otherwise no.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I tell my wife all the time if you cant gwt it from Amazon it doesn't exist. That's because i hate shopping, but I'll glad drop an extra 50 at my lgs because it keeps them around, i like them and as jwh20 says by the time you add shipping and ffl fees you're there

Yeah for guns just buy local. By the time you ship or drive it just isn't a worth the trouble. For accessories and holsters it is hard to compete with online. Amazon, Midway USA and Brownells have a lot of stuff.

I always check my local shop before ordering though. Even if it is a couple dollars more I am happy to give them the business

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Typically gun stores don't order from Midway or Brownell's and they don't pay what you pay, they pay wholesale. It might be worth asking what it would cost if they did order if for you, it's possible they could beat the price you'd pay elsewhere.
    +1

They can (sometimes) get accessories cheaper, and will be willing to split the difference with you. They get a guaranteed profit, without any risk. If they get enough people request an item, it might lead them to invest in it and stock it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What is the point of this phrase being used in an LGS?

First off, I understand if they're talking about a gun. I've never bought a gun online, but it sure seems like less of a headache to let them just order it.

But what about acessories? Do they not realize that we can order from Midway, Brownell's, etc.? I understand that they want our business, but I doubt that it would be cheaper for us because they do have to make money.

So is there any advantage to letting them order it for us?

I've bought a few guns online and it is not a headache. The only extra step is if you are working with a receiving FFL that might not be on their list but even that is a minor step.

In my position, I really can't consider any of the gun stores close by me to be all that conducive to establishing a relationship. So, I really don't have any reservation about ordering guns, accessories, ammo, etc. online. Even with shipping, it's really not worth the hassle to deal with dealers close by me for what little bit they *might* be able to save me.

(I wish the good guys I do know lived closer than a 2 hour drive and my stance would likely change considerably.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hear some saying that they will pay a little more to keep their LGS around. I get supporting the home team. But if you always pay more, why do you want to keep them around?

I will buy local, but they have to give me a reason to buy from them. Service would be a consideration. Or maybe if I purchase a firearm, they give me a discount on accessories and/or ammo to keep me coming back.

But if every time I walk in, I have to pay more than other sources so that they stay in business...well, I am not in an income group to be able to do that. Sorry LGS, either get creative and find a way around the internet or continue to lose potential business to the internet.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I hear some saying that they will pay a little more to keep their LGS around. I get supporting the home team. But if you always pay more, why do you want to keep them around?

I will buy local, but they have to give me a reason to buy from them. Service would be a consideration. Or maybe if I purchase a firearm, they give me a discount on accessories and/or ammo to keep me coming back.

But if every time I walk in, I have to pay more than other sources so that they stay in business...well, I am not in an income group to be able to do that. Sorry LGS, either get creative and find a way around the internet or continue to lose potential business to the internet.

If they aren't around, you won't be able to do the transfers, or the remaining guys will raise the transfer fee above a generally accepted $15 to $25. A Wal-mart mentality degrades service to a Wal-mart level.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom