Why would a Gun Shop have "No Guns" signs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Spawned topic from another thread; listing of stores & businesses that have "anti-gun" policies that dictate "no weapons" or "no loaded weapons."
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...un_and_anti-gun_stores_northwest_indiana.html

If someone confirms this for a fact, [that gun shop] will earn a spot on the anti-gun list. It seems peculiar for any gun shop to have such a policy. But as we know, not everyone who owns guns defends the right to keep and bear arms.

There are policies and there are policies. In some cases the "policy" is for folk they don't know or for insurance purposes.

Part of it is that if an accident ("negligent discharge") happens when someone is at home or otherwise on their own, that's bad enough, but when it happens at a gun shop/gun show/gun range the result is far worse from a PR perspective. Even with those kinds of policies in place, accidents do happen from time to time. Yes, they are caused almost entirely by idiots, but since it's kind of hard to completely ban idiots, we've got to deal with the existence of same.

Somebody at his home screws up and has a negligent discharge. Best case (from a "gun rights" perspective), nobody ever learns it happened. Not too bad case, the guy's buddies know about it and he takes a ribbing. Bad case, injury or property damage to a third party. Worst case someone gets killed. Everything above the "guy's buddies know about it" does damage to the idea of preserving gun rights in the court of public opinion.

Somebody at a gun store has a negligent discharge. In this case, best case is the "bad case" above (starting with property damage to a third party since that bullet is almost sure to break something or put a hole in the shop's walls) going right up to the same worst case. And in every one of those cases, the association with the event at a gun shop or gun show leads to more damage in the court of public opinion. The story is more likely to have "legs" on the news, reaching more people and people are likely to think "even in a gun store, with experts around" making the event seem worse.

Michael Z. Williamson* (I dare anyone to call him anti-gun) had an article on this subject at keepandbeararms.com

I've spoken with the folk at several gun stores with such policies. In every case (among those I've spoken to) the "rule" is not aimed at people who carry and who leave the gun holstered while inside (unless they actually need it), or who only take it out at the range line to shoot. What they don't want is people taking out guns to show each other or to brag about since that's when people make mistakes and are likely to screw up.

YMMV, of course, but having such a rule posted may not be as "anti gun" as one might assume.

*When last I spoke with him on the subject, Mike said that he had military supremacy over Barbados and was now in an arms race with Bermuda. Having seen part of his collection, I believe it.

Let the discussion begin.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I always assume that those types of policies don't apply to me. If a shop ever tried to apply it to me (re: my loaded, holstered carry gun), I would choose to not be a customer.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    I always assume that those types of policies don't apply to me. If a shop ever tried to apply it to me (re: my loaded, holstered carry gun), I would choose to not be a customer.

This goes for any business, but what sucks is when a sign says "No guns allowed", does that mean any gun or illegal guns? A store that has that sign may not be trying to discourage legal carry. But again what is the point of it? if the sign isn't for the robber (I'm pretty sure they don't abide by those signs) or legal carry, then why have it?

I guess if you see the sign, just carry concealed and if they somehow see it, and they don't mind cause it is legal, then good! If they don't like it, then leave and don't shop there again. :D

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i think every gun shop i have stepped into has one of these signs (maybe not BGF, i cant remember).

i was under the impression that those signs werent for me. ;)

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I know I always carry mine in the shops around my way, and all of the sales people all have holstered weapons visable on there hips.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I think its a safety thing. Most of us handle our firearms safely but we have all seen the idiots in the gun stores who dont even know how to pull the trigger. I look at like this, "you are only as safe as your dumbest customer:draw:." I feel fine leaving my gun in the car or unloading it before I enter the store. Especially Plainfield shooting supplies. It only takes one idiot who pulles out a loaded gun and say "hey Bob, you got any bullets that fit this here gun" and in the process of handling the firearm, it goes off.
    Now if I owned a shop, I wouldnt mind people I knew who were responsable to carry a loaded firearm in the store. I see both sides to this debate. Maybe we should get a shop owner or worker to give us their take on the issue. Paging Britton, shooter521

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why? Have you been in the gun culture long?

Because you have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Do you really want Cledus or Jasper coming in with a pistol and waving it about the shop? Ever been in a gun shop and found yourself looking down the barrel of something? That's why.

The problem is that it creates unnecessary gun handling in the parking lots. People see the sign, walk back to cars and then using traffic as a back stop unload. Terrifying as everytime you load or unload you risk an AD or ND.

A better rule would be "Please leave all handguns in holsters".

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Having worked behind the counter at a gun shop for a while, I was positive one of the customers would end up shooting us by accident. I have seen down the bore of more guns than you would believe. Never a good way to start a conversation. Then after you get the knuckle head to point it in a safe direction and restart your heart, then you have to politely answer the questions that are in the manual of the gun they just pointed at your brain pan. They did not bother to read the manual ever.
    No, I do not have any ivory grips for a Jennings. No, I can't sell you ammo by the round. No, I can't beat Walmarts prices. Ect. Of all the sales jobs I have had, Gun retail had the most brain damaged customers per thousand. To to make it worse we were a Class 3 dealer. Lots of uneducated Class 3 wannabes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Veteran of Galyan's, Ural. I feel your pain.:D

We used to joke at Galyan's that triggers had some sort of magnet in them as fingers would instantly go there. I always handed the guns from the side that way they never pointed the pistol at my belt buckle or nose.

Only really wierd one we had was a guy who wanted to look at a Browing P35/High Power. He took the pistol and then started jumping around like some '70s cop show.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I guess any gun stores with signs like that would rather treat everyone like an idiot than individually address those who actually are idiots.

I'd bet that with the number of car accidents there are every year, most people who drive on a car lot have been in car accidents, yet I have yet to see a car dealer that doesn't allow people to drive cars on their lot.

I will not buy anything from a gun shop that does not allow me to carry a holstered loaded gun on their property.

A better rule would be "Please leave all handguns in holsters".
    This makes sense.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    I started to walk into a shop once while carrying and saw the sign, went back and dropped it in the trunk. I asked the clerk behind the counter why the "no guns" policy and he said basically the same thing others here have said - too many idiots without the least idea of basic safety rules - finger on trigger, not paying attention to where the muzzle was pointing, etc etc etc. Better for them just to make a flat rule than to waste time dealing with individual idiots. He said as a practical matter there are lots of people who come in carrying concealed but they come in, do their business peacefully and quietly without making a big deal about carrying a piece or hauling it out to show off...no problem.

I can only guess, but if I was working for $8.50 an hour behind a counter I'd likely feel I wasn't getting paid nearly enough money A) to have idiots who don't know better pointing loaded weapons in my direction even occasionally or B) to spend my time explaining basic firearm safety rules to those same idiots. I gotta say I haven't noticed any stores with "no guns" signs going out of business. It's kinda like walking into someone's home - if you know they don't want you in their home carrying a piece, don't visit or don't walk in carrying in the open.

My $0.25 worth - inflation's a terrible thing.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Liability and safety. The shop/range I worked at has the sign. Having worked on the other side of the counter makes you realize there are lot of poeple in the world who have no idea about firearms safety. Lots of the regulars carried but it was CCW only state and their weapons remained concealed. Lots of stories about idiots and guns but this isnt the place.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    2nd Amendment Guns in Whitestown has a "No Loaded Weapons" sign on the door. I asked the owner if it was liability insurance related...

He replied that it had nothing to do with insurance; he just didn't want anyone having a loaded gun in his shop but himself. I thought it was pretty arrogant since 30 seconds earlier he was talking about how he ignores "No Guns" signs at other businesses.

How is a gun store telling you not to carry any different than any other store? Sorry, all the "but there are stupid hillbillies out there" excuses are BS. If that logic stands, then it would make perfect sense to just ban carry completely.

Top Bottom