Why would a Gun Shop have "No Guns" signs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    here's a question i had concerning "no guns" signs.

i was reading on another forum that some states (i think it was ohio in this case) grant employers immunity from lawsuits regarding the use of firearms by CCs, as well as immunity from lawsuits stemming from injuries sustained by employees and customers that are related to the company's "no guns allowed" policies. does indiana have anything like this?

an example would be:

Company A has 3 stores located in City B. 2 of these stores are the targets of armed robberies within a few weeks. Company A has a "no carry" policy in place for its employees. A clerk at the third store, which is located in the most crime-ridden section of City B, asks upper management about employees carrying firearms and/or "non-lethal" protection such as mace. Management says no way. The clerk then asks what is being done to increase security. Management says they are concerned, but ultimately changes nothing.

if store 3 is robbed and the clerk is shot, stabbed, etc, is Company A shielded from lawsuits from the clerk or his family? does the clerk assume his own liability as a condition of being a clerk? or is Company A negligent because there was a clear precendent of Company A's stores being robbed and they did nothing?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Reading some posts in threads like this (& there have been others) makes me think that many (most?) gun-owners agree with the anti-gun people that guns & their owners really are inherently unsafe. If there are so many 'idiots' with guns why should they be allowed at all? I think its funny that so many always point to others as being the 'idiots' in question. I mean, WE couldn't be idiots. It has to be somebody else.

The biggest problem I have with the 'no guns' signs is that the owners of the gun shops are in the business of selling a product that they don't want in their stores but will be more than happy to sell to 'idiots' so that they can then carry them into other peoples stores.

I agree that the signs should read 'no unholstered loaded guns'. It seems to work for places like Gander Mountain (& Dick's I think) that have signs to that effect. Why wouldn't the same thing work for smaller gun shops?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Reading some posts in threads like this (& there have been others) makes me think that many (most?) gun-owners agree with the anti-gun people that guns & their owners really are inherently unsafe. If there are so many 'idiots' with guns why should they be allowed at all? I think its funny that so many always point to others as being the 'idiots' in question. I mean, WE couldn't be idiots. It has to be somebody else.

The biggest problem I have with the 'no guns' signs is that the owners of the gun shops are in the business of selling a product that they don't want in their stores but will be more than happy to sell to 'idiots' so that they can then carry them into other peoples stores.

I agree that the signs should read 'no unholstered loaded guns'. It seems to work for places like Gander Mountain (& Dick's I think) that have signs to that effect. Why wouldn't the same thing work for smaller gun shops?

Finity is right on. Keeping guns in their holsters is enough. Gun control beyond that is a bit hypocritical.

If an insurance company required any signs I disagreed with I'd but a calendar or a vending machine in front of the sign. Oops :dunno:

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Finity is right on. Keeping guns in their holsters is enough. Gun control beyond that is a bit hypocritical.

If an insurance company required any signs I disagreed with I'd but a vending calendar or a vending machine in front of the sign. Oops :dunno:

I would support your business.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why wouldn't the same thing work for smaller gun shops?

Keeping guns in the holsters is the best policy without question. The fewer times people unload and reload pistols the less chance of an unwanted (AD or ND) discharge. Remember every time you unload or load the possibility of a mechanical failure occurs and the gun can fire!

Now with that said, I believe that the smaller gun shops have this policy so Jasper and Cledus do not pull out their shootin' irons to show each other or to try out holsters to avoid the possibility of litigation as much as possible. If you've been around guns much, you will get weak in the knees with the gunhandling skills on display whenever gun owners gather. Heck, Knob Creek did not even start this weekend and as I was standing waiting for the pole barn to open at 9AM Jethro was trying to point his Mini-14 at my belt buckle.

The problem is that the no loaded gun policy creates liability as none of the smaller gun shops have fiddle tables or large piles of sand in which to unload or reload. How many times have we been at gun shops when guys are loading or unloading with only a gas tank, passing traffic or the gun store as a backstop. It's simply unsafe.

The solution has to lie in education. Telling gun shop owners about the problems they are creating. Ask about backstops or which way is safe to load.

When you get "just load in the parking lot" (as if the magic aura of the parking lot's force field protects us all), ask them what it your backstop (many gun owners do not understand that guns can go bang even if your finger is off the trigger).

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Plainfield, Pops, Don's, and His & Hers in Sheridan are all that way: NO LOADED GUNS. It's possible it's and insurance thing.

If a gun shop ever tells you "insurance" they are either bold faced liars or have the crappiest most ****-ant insurance company.

I was looking into opening/buying a shop here in NW Indiana. I contacted and copies of policies and riders from several companies. Not a single one required that the store post any sort of signage or have any such idiotic rules for customers.

Do we honestly think stores like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Deb's in Hammond or any of these other stores that don't have such signage and allow open carry (not just concealed) would jeopardized their businesses if they did?

Don and Pops are liars if they say their ins requires it. I know that for a fact.

I don't frequent stores that are anti-gun (except costco, yeah call me hypocrite) there is NO WAY I'd shop at an anti-gun gun shop.

Top Bottom