• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is there any security checks at the Indiana State Museum in Downtown Indy?

I'm going to be carrying a pocketknife, my wife will have a can of mace.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No guns.

Curious though what makes it a gun free zone? I know the Children's Museum has a daycare, but what does the State Museum have?

special treatment under the law. Same thing that lets the state lock down their office buildings, courthouses, etc. they can because the law says they can. :(

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...234270-indiana-state-museum-carry-yes-no.html

Is the State Museum a prohibited place? I didn't think it was. I'm going to check the IC.

ETA: the consensus from this old thread leads me to believe that the state museum does fall under the preemption statute and is not by law a prohibited place.

See eldirector's explanation in post #7

I hope so, because I may or may not have carried there before. I honestly don't remember. Things are a little foggy since the boat accident.

I do know there is no security to speak of.

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This is the sign on their door I took last time I was there. To the best of my knowledge since they are a state owned facility not managed by a locality, the preemption laws doe not apply to them:

ismnga.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    This is the sign on their door I took last time I was there. To the best of my knowledge since they are a state owned facility not managed by a locality, the preemption laws doe not apply to them:

ismnga.jpg
    Damn good thing I only carry tools, and not weapons!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    special treatment under the law. Same thing that lets the state lock down their office buildings, courthouses, etc. they can because the law says they can. :(

This is the sign on their door I took last time I was there. To the best of my knowledge since they are a state owned facility not managed by a locality, the preemption laws doe not apply to them

Wait a minute...
    So now you guys say that a state owned facility is prohibited buy law to carry in and that the preemption laws do not apply to them?

But yet the preemption laws keep me legally carrying in all other state, county and city owned buildings and properties with little exceptions?
    It had better apply to them since that's why that law was made in the first place.

Is their a lock-up with a 24 hour prison guard there?
    Do they hold court in the building?
    Is there a licensed school on the property?
    Do they house a CoE Dam in the museum?
    What else am I missing.....:dunno:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I'm definitely just going off of what I've been told and don't "know" what I'm saying, so I would love to have some input from one of the fine legal minds on the board. I originally assumed the sign was BS and posted it in Mr. Relford's thread where he asked to have signs like that reported. I was told that since it's a facility administered by the state government, the preemption laws do not apply. Were it run by the city of Indianapolis they would. I would certainly be happy if that were not the case, especially since I assumed it was an OK to walk past sign when I visited. ;)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I hope this isn't considered a "thread hijack" but this looks like a good place to share some Illinois sign fact and humor. The sign in the picture is pretty lame and would be easy to walk by without noticing but if it carries the weight of law could be a problem. But officer I didn't see the sign!
    At least here in Illannoy there is a specific sign that must be placed in an obvious place at the entrance or is not considered valid. If any of you from Indiana have had the misfortune of driving into Illannoy you have probably seen the "Burma Shave" type signs placed along interstates by GUNS SAVE LIFE. The link is from the GSL web site and a write-up of our Exective director and his adventure carring in a building with a non-compliant sign. WELL, DUH! Bloomington, IL newspaper just learns non-compliant ?NO GUNS? signs don?t count in Illinois | GunsSaveLife.com Jim.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The State Museum is part of the State Historic Sites division of the State government. As a State agency, they may set whatever rules they want. See this thread from 2014:
    Indy state museum?

The confusion comes from the fact that people reference Indiana as "Indy". "Indy" is the City of Indianapolis.

The City of Indianapolis may not post such a sign in their museum. The State of Indiana certainly may.

The OP is referencing the STATE museum, NOT a museum run by the City of Indianapolis.

In the meantime, please stop using "Indy" to mean "Indiana". We are getting confused gun owners.:D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll have to find the email response I got a few years ago to this question (should be in a thread on here somewhere). The State Museum follows the IAC for the State House and Government center. I believe the penalty is ejection and confiscation.

Top Bottom