I'm laughing right now, reading my MIL final wishes letter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It appears my MIL has the same feeling about several of the family members we had to deal with this week.

She wants us to mail trash bags, deorderant and mouthwash to several relatives. Others she wants me to mail a crisp one dollar bill to them.

She also asked that we would keep a flower garden and plant a tree in her memory.

Other than that, pretty standard stuff.

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    It appears my MIL has the same feeling about several of the family members we had to deal with this week.

She wants us to mail trash bags, deorderant and mouthwash to several relatives. Others she wants me to mail a crisp one dollar bill to them.

She also asked that we would keep a flower garden and plant a tree in her memory.

Other than that, pretty standard stuff.

thats funny right there. She must have had a great personality.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

FIL is still alive so there is really nothing to fight about yet. He redid his will several years ago and I know he has some surprises for a few people.

if you are to be the executor ask him to read that aloud with all interested parties while he still can. Otherwise surprises enforced by someone else will do nothing but destroy the family, if they are negatives.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Well I know one of my children will receive exactly $1.00. That way they can't say they didn't get anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I know one of my children will receive exactly $1.00. That way they can't say they didn't get anything.

It is unfortunate that these situations have to end this way.
    There is one of our children that is fully aware he has already gotten all that will or would have been passed on to him due to poor decisions he has made.
    It breaks our hearts but tough love seems to have worked.

L.B. I think I would have liked your MIL.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    My mother in law did not want a funeral nor an obituary. She said if people didn't care enough to come see her when she was alive she sure didn't want them to come around making a big fuss when she was dead.

As a corollary, she also didn't want flowers on her graveside. Said she couldn't enjoy them when she was dead. We always took her fresh flowers for her table.

Last, she wanted to be cremated. She had a hyper-claustrophobic fear of being buried alive.

My wife's brother had a meltdown. He wanted everything done in traditional ways. My wife said this was what Mom spelled out in her will and that is the way we are going to do it. And since she was the executor, that was how it was done. He didn't speak to my wife for almost five years after their mother's death.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My mother in law did not want a funeral nor an obituary. She said if people didn't care enough to come see her when she was alive she sure didn't want them to come around making a big fuss when she was dead.

As a corollary, she also didn't want flowers on her graveside. Said she couldn't enjoy them when she was dead. We always took her fresh flowers for her table.

Last, she wanted to be cremated. She had a hyper-claustrophobic fear of being buried alive.

My wife's brother had a meltdown. He wanted everything done in traditional ways. My wife said this was what Mom spelled out in her will and that is the way we are going to do it. And since she was the executor, that was how it was done. He didn't speak to my wife for almost five years after their mother's death.

He was ( maybe still is) an idiot. Family is much too important to let someone's last wishes keep you from speaking to them for 5 years.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    He was ( maybe still is) an idiot. Family is much too important to let someone's last wishes keep you from speaking to them for 5 years.

Agreed. That is way we take the time and go through the sometimes painful steps to line by line let those who survive us know how we want to be taken care of. It is each individuals choice. The person chosen to be executor has a tough job. They are to be respected and assisted as to the final wishes outlined in the will.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This Sept 25 will mark three years since my MIL was killed. Her estate is STILL open pending the outcome of a lawsuit. That's a lot of fun to deal with. :)

No will. None that we could find, anyhow. And every lawyer within her county and all the neighboring counties were also called to inquire.

Be very very very thankful that there's a will to deal with. Same with your FIL.

You (generic you) seriously do not know what a damned mess it is to deal with that without a will.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Agreed. That is way we take the time and go through the sometimes painful steps to line by line let those who survive us know how we want to be taken care of. It is each individuals choice. The person chosen to be executor has a tough job. They are to be respected and assisted as to the final wishes outlined in the will.

This right here. Do not try to lie to me and say that you loved or respected the deceased if you're not willing to allow them their final wishes.

On a slight digression, please take time today to make a small concession for Keith Richards in your will. After all, we're not going to be around forever. Well, you know, except for Keith.
    Thank you.

Top Bottom