• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    So I have a couple oral board interviews coming up and am getting pretty nervous. I have sat down and tried to research and plan my answers to common questions. But it just hit me what will i wear? I have never been to a real job interview. Any "interview" like thing i have been to has been extremely laid back with less than 4 or 5 questions (are you a crack head) and those were factory jobs where i wore a t-shirt and jeans. Would A polo, khakis, and some nicer dress shoes work? I have never owned/wore a suit or tie. All the interviews are in really small towns or counties if that matters. My brother wore khakis and a polo but he also killed it with schooling and experience. Should i go to a white button up shirt instead of a polo? LEOs what say you?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Suit and tie. It doesn't have to be of the highest quality, but you want it to look professional. Make sure your hair style is similar to what police department regulations require. Not touching the collar, no ponytail, etc. Be clean-shaven. A mustache is ok, but no beard or goatee. Police departments are all about uniformity and professional appearance so anything less than what I have suggested is a good way to not make it past the interview.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thank you. The hair and shaving wont be a problem i have already lost most of it anyway. Looks like I will need to go suit shopping.

I wasn't really expecting things to be this fast paced, it took forever for my brother but this has all been a matter of a few days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Several years ago, I went through the oral interview process with the Sheriffs dept. Based on that experience I would agree with Frank_N. Wear a suit and tie, make sure you keep eye contact, as you answer make sure you are speaking to all members of the board and speak clearly. Try to be prepared for any type of question, use your common sense and be honest.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Frank is correct, suit and tie. Use good posture. Everything you say matters to someone on the board. Use words carefully, try to avoid the "you knows, like, etc.." Remain calm and answer truthfully. If there is a poly or VSA component, you don't want to be caught with a half truth or out and out lie.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Black suit with traditional color shirt/tie. Get it tailored. Don't look like a soup sandwich. ALWAYS err on the side of conservative when deciding what to wear.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Black suit with traditional color shirt/tie. Get it tailored. Don't look like a soup sandwich. ALWAYS err on the side of conservative when deciding what to wear.

First, I'm not an LEO, but have advised a department and merit board on hiring decisions and hiring process. The guys are right about a suit and tie. Think of it as an investment for when you're hired (because you WILL be hired should be your mentality) because you may need the suit and tie for court appearances. (Sometimes defense attorneys get judges to have officers testify in street clothes, not uniforms.)

Second, and this is a petty thing, please for the appreciation of adult fashion, do not get a black suit. Unless you're also interviewing to be a mortician. Navy blue, charcoal gray, there are other options. Joseph A. Bank often has a 2-for-1 sale (sometimes 3-for-1) that I believe includes a fitting. That's a good bet and the guys in there can help with the right cut and a proper tie.

Third, really don't get a black suit.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I'm on the interview/hiring committee with my department. As the others have said, suit and tie. Your appearance when the board first sees you will make an impression with them, rather positive or negative. It is the first note that I make during the interview.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Second, and this is a petty thing, please for the appreciation of adult fashion, do not get a black suit. Unless you're also interviewing to be a mortician. Navy blue, charcoal gray, there are other options. Joseph A. Bank often has a 2-for-1 sale (sometimes 3-for-1) that I believe includes a fitting. That's a good bet and the guys in there can help with the right cut and a proper tie.

Joseph A Bank is for shirts. Their suits are trash. They ae 3 for 1 because they fall apart so quickly you'll need 3 to get through the week.

Wear a suit, you're there to help people, you're a team player, you value diversity, you can make good decisions under stress. Other than "my dad is the sheriff" these are the best answers to any questions.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Joseph A Bank is for shirts. Their suits are trash. They ae 3 for 1 because they fall apart so quickly you'll need 3 to get through the week.
    I've had a few that've lasted 6 years now. :) But, I tend to not wear them with jackboots. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've had a few that've lasted 6 years now. :) But, I tend to not wear them with jackboots. :)
    Maybe 6 years ago they made better suits. They changed owners in 2014, and the consensus is they are now trash. Google up some reviews of today's versions.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I am going to continue the OT fashion discussion by suggesting that a modern style, slim cut black suit is just fine. By modern style, I mean something cut like what they would wear on the first season of Mad Men, but with longer pant legs.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Maybe 6 years ago they made better suits. They changed owners in 2014, and the consensus is they are now trash. Google up some reviews of today's versions.

Ah, got it. Was kinda thinking of getting a couple new suits this summer to account for... uh... well... to be honest, a few more years of my wife's exceptional cooking and a slower metabolism. :)

So thanks for the consumer tip.

I am going to continue the OT fashion discussion by suggesting that a modern style, slim cut black suit is just fine. By modern style, I mean something cut like what they would wear on the first season of Mad Men, but with longer pant legs.
    I'd still have to say no. Black suits, while conceptually sound like a good idea, really aren't. MAYBE with a pinstripe or light houndstooth pattern or something. But then, to me, it isn't a black suit anymore.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    And polish your shoes. You don't have shoes that require polishing to wear with your suit? A good cop candidate should be able to deduce how to solve this problem.

(p.s. regardless of whether the suit is black or blue or some other suitably conservative color, i.e. dark blue or dark blue, dress shoes are black.).

(p.p.s. Neither your jack boots nor your Corcorans nor any other kind of boot count as shoes requiring polish that can be worn with your suit! If you are applying to the Texas Rangers, then you can wear cowboy boots, but otherwise - no boots.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...I'd still have to say no. Black suits, while conceptually sound like a good idea, really aren't. MAYBE with a pinstripe or light houndstooth pattern or something. But then, to me, it isn't a black suit anymore.

Well, you're in the big city, so I'll defer. My bumpkin tendencies often rise to the surface.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Baby blue tux end thread lol.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going shopping in the morning. Any input on the interview in general would also be helpful and welcome.

Top Bottom