Okay so I need a new optic... As in a red dot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Currently I am running and Vortex Strikefire on my AR15. Up until today I would just recreational shoot with and and do basic reloads and malfunction drills with it. And for this purpose it was a wonderful little red dot. But I took a basic carbine course at Range Time today and this thing just sucked to be honest. It was relatively sunny most of the day and the dot kept washing out even on the brightest settings with a fresh battery. Also when letting the rifle hang on the sling the NV setting would bump my belt and keep switching modes. I get that this isn't awful but it sucked checking each team to make sure I had somewhat of a dot to see. I feel like it should be moved somewhere else on the dot other then the outside edge. Those two issues alone just through me off completely about the optic. Yes I understand it's a $150 dollar optic but I think its time to upgrade.

With that being said is there another optic that isn't Aimpoint or EOTech that I should look into budget wise? I realize I may have to save up $500 dollars if I want one of those but I was just curious if there was another none Vortex option out there for under the $300 range.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    have you thought about rotating it 90 degrees so that the up down/left right are switched? That may help with the accidental bumpage issues.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    have you thought about rotating it 90 degrees so that the up down/left right are switched? That may help with the accidental bumpage issues.

That is actually a really good idea and I am going to have to try that! But what about my brightness issues?

I currently have the red/green dot and I heard that the red only strikefires had brighter settings. Is that true?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Amazing what a dedicated day of training will teach you about yourself and your gear, eh? ;) Those are some interesting issues you had surface. Like you said, as a casual shooter you might not have ever encountered them.

It sucks at first, but if you're going to continue running the gun in future training venues I'd recommend going Aimpoint.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yes, that is true, and that is the version I would recommend. Or save up for an Aimpoint.

I may try to send it back to Vortex and see if they'll switch it out. Can't hurt to ask right?

Amazing what a dedicated day of training will teach you about yourself and your gear, eh? ;) Those are some interesting issues you had surface. Like you said, as a casual shooter you might not have ever encountered them.

It sucks at first, but if you're going to continue running the gun in future training venues I'd recommend going Aimpoint.

Right! It was just a basic class and not even anything crazy like an advanced class. I know now that I am already getting addicted to training. Now I just have to start saving up some cash when I can. Nothing beats shooting with a bunch of like minded people with quality instructors. I also ran into some other gear issues as well. My sling is currently a MS2. I plan on switching to the SOE single bungee sling and an extended charging handle.

Save up......Get an Aimpoint, not the EOTurd.

I'll probably end up saving up for an Aimpoint but I am curious about the EoTechs as well. My next rifle build is going to be for my patrol rifle. So most of my shooting is going to be 50 yards and in. Which I would think the EoTech would prevail at? I looked and through both an Aimpoint T1 and an EoTech XPS3 and to be honest I was more of a fan of the XPS3 haha.

I don't wanna turn this into an EoTech versus an Aimpoint thread but at the same time I want to if that makes any sense. I know the basics and advantages and disadvantages of both optics but I have a hard time choosing what is best for my needs personally.

Benefits of the Aimpoint is that I can leave the optic on while in my patrol car and not have to mess with it.
    Cons would be the 4MOA dot which isn't really all that bad

Benefits of the EoTech is the huge outer dot which would be good at close range (which most shootings will happen at)
    Cons would be the awful battery life which means I would have to shutoff and turn on the optic each time I get it out of the rack.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    if you are trained to shoot with both eyes open, then the Aimpoint won't be a problem.

I have the cheaper vision, Aimpoint P.R.O. I bought from a fellow INGO'er. it's 2MOA. the field of view is not an issue at all, matter of fact it's designed in a way that I can shoot it with the front cover closed.

you can pick one up for $350 all day.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Benefits of the Aimpoint is that I can leave the optic on while in my patrol car and not have to mess with it.
    Cons would be the 4MOA dot which isn't really all that bad

Benefits of the EoTech is the huge outer dot which would be good at close range (which most shootings will happen at)
    Cons would be the awful battery life which means I would have to shutoff and turn on the optic each time I get it out of the rack.

The differences in the Aimpoints and EOTechs (XPS line) is so minor that the debate becomes silly quickly. They're both great, albeit, expensive optics.

That being said, for a patrol rifle I'd think the benefits of 'always on' readiness would trump reticle shape/size.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view-aimpoint-h1-vs-eotech-xps-pics-vids.html

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    buying optics is just like buying a gun, the best way is to try it on and get a real feedback yourself, there's no other way around.

I've seen may positive reviews on the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 with a riser($109 @ Walmart). there's a pretty long review on arfcom and one of the guys had it set on medium power, the battery ran 2300+ continuous hours.

Bushnell TRS-25 Opinions? - Page 1 - AR15.COM

another way you may look at it, is you probably can write it off on your taxes if that's part of your duty gear?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Buy once, cry once. Aimpoint PRO and you're done. If I had to guess, I'd say PSA will have them for $350-$360 around Black Friday... long wait though.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    buying optics is just like buying a gun, the best way is to try it on and get a real feedback yourself, there's no other way around.

I've seen may positive reviews on the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 with a riser($109 @ Walmart). there's a pretty long review on arfcom and one of the guys had it set on medium power, the battery ran 2300+ continuous hours.

Bushnell TRS-25 Opinions? - Page 1 - AR15.COM

another way you may look at it, is you probably can write it off on your taxes if that's part of your duty gear?

Well I am not a police officer yet. I am currently finishing up my degree so unfortunately I cant write anything off yet. I originally had the Bushnell sight before the Strikefire but got rid of it due to the teal tint of the front lens.

Buy once, cry once. Aimpoint PRO and you're done. If I had to guess, I'd say PSA will have them for $350-$360 around Black Friday... long wait though.

I'll probably wait until then to try and find a deal. This was my last carbine class of the year the wait won't hurt on my end. I'll probably go with a PRO on this rifle

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The differences in the Aimpoints and EOTechs (XPS line) is so minor that the debate becomes silly quickly. They're both great, albeit, expensive optics.

That being said, for a patrol rifle I'd think the benefits of 'always on' readiness would trump reticle shape/size.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...view-aimpoint-h1-vs-eotech-xps-pics-vids.html

I agree with this Evan. I recently bought an Eotech EXPS2-0 or something like that, and am really surprised at how much I like it. The only benefit I see to the Aimpoint anymore is the battery life.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I had the same problems with the Vortex buttons :noway:. Brightness wasn't as big of an issue on my Strikefire though, because mine was only red.

I have Eotech's and Aimpoint's, both work great. I know you said your budget was around $300, but a Aimpoint PRO or Eotech 512 aren't too far from that.

And not to pick away at your post on pros / cons, but 1) Many Aimpoints are available with a 2MOA dot now and B) Eotech battery life is really not that bad (especially with the newer transverse XPS / EXPS series). Plus, finding a battery for your Eotech (123, AA, or N) is way less trouble than the funky Aimpoint 1/3N.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    And not to pick away at your post on pros / cons, but 1) Many Aimpoints are available with a 2MOA dot now and B) Eotech battery life is really not that bad (especially with the newer transverse XPS / EXPS series). Plus, finding a battery for your Eotech (123, AA, or N) is way less trouble than the funky Aimpoint 1/3N.

When your battery has a run time of 3 years, trying to find a battery isn't a problem you run into often.

Hard to find the 1/3N? The 1/3N is the same as the 2L76. Either of those can be found at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, Radio Shack, Batteries Plus (or countless online retailers)... not that hard. Just last week I picked up 4 from my local Menards in Lebanon for less than $3 each with a $2 mail in rebate.

I agree with this Evan. I recently bought an Eotech EXPS2-0 or something like that, and am really surprised at how much I like it. The only benefit I see to the Aimpoint anymore is the battery life.

And Aimpoint has a 10 year warranty vs the 2 year warranty from L3 (EOTech).

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I recently bought an Aimpoint PRO and a Larue M68 Cantilever base. The mount holds a spare, so I went looking for one. I have infinite faith in the Aimpoint but any battery is subject to failure, so having a spare seemed reasonable given Murphy's Law. I went to Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, CVS, Best Buy, a local camera shop, and Staples. No one had one. Went to Radio Shack and it was around $15 for a generic one. I ended up ordering one online for cheap, but they are definitely not common. If I need a battery for my 552 Eotech, I can buy AA's in nearly any convenience store on planet earth. My EXPS uses a CR123 which is a little less common, but all my gear runs on them and I order then by the case.

I'm not arguing one is better than the other. As I said before, I own and love both. I'm sure the OP will be happy with whichever one he chooses.

Top Bottom