• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Been wanting to get a decent security system for a while now and stumbled onto the Zmodo 4 channel system w/ 500Gb hard drive. cameras are day/night capable. system runs about ~$200. just curious if anyone had experience with this system or could recommend one similar that would not break the bank

4 Channel Real-Time DVR Security Camera System 500GB 3.6mm Lens

link to the website to check it out if interested

Last edited:

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I have some zmodo cameras in the system I put together. They seem to be well made, but I really don't know much about them. Also be aware that 500 gb isn't that much space for continuous recording. I think I put 2 terrabyte in mine, with room for more.

Jason

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    2 terrabytes seems like over kill, or is it? is yours set for continuous recording or "motion" recording? with 4 channels on 24hr record, 500gb should be enough to get ~3weeks of recorded data stored before the dvr goes back and over writes the last day. how much record time can you store?

and back to zmodo. the company says the cameras work well at night, but from the youtube videos i watched, the seem to suck. whats your opinion

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have installed several of the Zmodo DVR's and they have all failed after about 2 years. The cameras are meh, but they seem to work. the IR range on most IR equipped cameras suck, but can be bumped up with extra illuminators as was suggested above. If you wanna go with the cameras because of cost, go for it. I would caution you against their brand of DVR though. :twocents:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have installed several of the Zmodo DVR's and they have all failed after about 2 years. The cameras are meh, but they seem to work. the IR range on most IR equipped cameras suck, but can be bumped up with extra illuminators as was suggested above. If you wanna go with the cameras because of cost, go for it. I would caution you against their brand of DVR though. :twocents:

Is there a brand that you have experience with and have lasted? i dont want to buy a system, and then 2-3 years later have to buy and install another. i dont mind spending the money since most times you get what you pay for!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    OO had not thought about this!! what kind of range or width can you get with that sort of product?
    as long as you get a cross section by 2 individual IR units basically facing inwards at eachother like an X, i have seen them work effectively out to approx. 145 feet. didnt need to go any further, since that was all the property line had to offer. i could see a couple hundred feet with good equipment, but then it would depend on what we are monitoring.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Is there a brand that you have experience with and have lasted? i dont want to buy a system, and then 2-3 years later have to buy and install another. i dont mind spending the money since most times you get what you pay for!

The good brands like Samsung and Pelco are pretty darn good IME. I like the software that the Samsung units run because it is native English and not translated Chinese :rolleyes:. For a "house brand" that's better than the zmodo units, look at Super Circuits offerings (Security Cameras | Video Security Camera System | CCTV Video Surveillance Systems). I have installed a handful of those and haven't had near the complaints as I had with the Zmodo units.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    as long as you get a cross section by 2 individual IR units basically facing inwards at eachother like an X, i have seen them work effectively out to approx. 145 feet. didnt need to go any further, since that was all the property line had to offer. i could see a couple hundred feet with good equipment, but then it would depend on what we are monitoring.

145 feet is pushing it for IR illuminators. To be able to reliably recognize facial features via IR cameras at night, the subjects need to be within 50 feet or so with a very strong IR source.

If you wanna have the best of the best, camera wise, look at light intensifier cameras. Those things are awesome and almost literally turn night into day without need for IR illumination. I installed a system of those once and I was amazed at the video quality. The cameras, even entry-level ones, start at about $300 each last I looked...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    145 feet is pushing it for IR illuminators. To be able to reliably recognize facial features via IR cameras at night, the subjects need to be within 50 feet or so with a very strong IR source.

If you wanna have the best of the best, camera wise, look at light intensifier cameras. Those things are awesome and almost literally turn night into day without need for IR illumination. I installed a system of those once and I was amazed at the video quality. The cameras, even entry-level ones, start at about $300 each last I looked...

certainly. the 145 feet was to make what's what of animals, what someone was wearing, etc. generally i see a short driveway being the proper place for an illuminator. but be careful in selection in those AND cameras, as it is not difficult to move its view with a stick. (those on a turret). dome cameras shine for that purpose.

karoozin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    I have a system in my house. One word of advice if you think you want 4 camera system. Then buy a 8 DVR that will handle 8 cameras. I made the mistake of purchasing a 4 camera system then when I installed it I wanted more camera coverage. Then I had to upgrade to a 8 camera DVR.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    To the OP, the cameras on that DVR, based on their specs, are 4 generations out of date. Generally I'd say that $200 system is OVERPRICED for what you are getting because you are not getting much. That said, if its all you can afford it is better than nothing.

To ANYONE who wants IR night vision, do NOT believe the distances the manufacturers claim. In fact reduce the distance by 50% for a real USEABLE distance.

4 cameras and 500Gig is enough, but 1 Terabyte is better. I have 2 Terabytes.

Buy IR illuminators! They will double the useful nighttime viewing of your camera system.

Don't think you can use a cheap camera and do facial recognition of anyone, not even your wife or child, beyond 25' from the camera! It is not going to happen. Don't think you can read license plates on cars. Stuff like that requires a real system, HD cameras, thousands of dollars invested.

I have a system in my house. One word of advice if you think you want 4 camera system. Then buy a 8 DVR that will handle 8 cameras...

Agreed. I have 2 systems, connected by ethernet, covering 3 buildings, my pool and diesel tanks on my property. Buy extra capacity, you will figure out how to fill it.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    The system i installed at our office is set for motion record with 3 cameras, and with a ~300 gig drive we get about 4 months of recordings. What does this mean for you? Nothing, it is all based on traffic patterns for where you are recording.

What you need to decided is how many cameras you want, how you intended to record and for how long you want to keep the data. Other factors to think about are expandability, redundancy and location of cameras & DVR.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    you could buy an auxiliary IR illuminator im sure. the rest is up to the camera.

If you want a good range at night, then a aux illum is KEY. Even cameras with them built in don't throw enough illumination out to do much good outside of a few feet.
    Zero Lux is the best starting point unless you have a setup that is in light all the time. Also do know that B&W cameras do have a purpose in some locations, especially low light.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    swannstore.com they have refurbished units for cheap with full warrenty.

also if you think you want 4 go for 8. Its like buying a safe. Get more then you need because you will find something to use it on.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It is, but he also said cheap.
    I have used their stuff in the past and it works. It is not the best, but for cheap it will last a few years.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It is, but he also said cheap.
    I have used their stuff in the past and it works. It is not the best, but for cheap it will last a few years.

The 3 generation out of date camera is $75 at Swann, but for $82 at Amazon.com you can get a current generation 700TVL camera with Sony EFFIO II chipset, auto iris, IR night vision and a weatherproof vandal resistant aluminum armored ball style case.

For the $7 savings someone would have to be a total idiot to choose the Swann camera..

Top Bottom