• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Nice job! What are the fella's sporting in the first photo's with their AR's?

You can't beat those 'grins'. :ingo:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My daughter passed on a 4 and a six at 30 yards. She shot two does and a nice buck last year so the freezer is still pretty full. She wants to beat the 10 I got a couple years ago. It was neat to just sit and watch them. Great time.

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville

You can't beat those 'grins'. :ingo:[/QUOTE

The first one is an all rock river 458 socom shooting horniday 325 grain ftx
    the second is a slapped together 458 with a rock river upper from my 458 socom stuck on a Wilson lower
    that has an adjustable stock (good for youth) hence the goody half camo. It's shooting 300 grain Barnes
    ttsx.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Took my twin sons out both days on our private property - we did not get any. We have been watching a huge buck (he's a 10 pointer but the center spikes are the largest I have ever seen - he's a trophy mount) on our trail camera all season. Sunday night when we were walking back home to end the hunt one of my sons who was in front spooked the buck and the buck took off down the hill (he surprised us as much as we surprised him). My son shouldered his rifle to take a shot but decided against it because he was afraid he would only wound it since he didn't have a clean kill shot (would probably shot it in the rear). I told him he did the right thing because I have told them we only take clean kill shots. I was proud of them both. We'll be back out there in November for firearms season. Congratulations to all of you and your kids who got one. Really like the pics of your kids and their harvest. It's good to see the future generation hunting with their families.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Took my 11 year old nephew youth season hunting on my grandparents' property near Spencer. He got this ~110lb? doe. 44mag CVA Hunter with Prostaff 2-7x BDC shotgun scope and the 225gr LeverEvolution ammo. 40yrds, shoulder/rib/lung/heart/lung/rib/shoulder shot with the bullet stopping just under the skin on the far side (enough to take the hair off right there, but just not quite enough to get through). Neat part is having saved the bullet, I'm going to pour it into a clear resin block for him to keep, with the shell.

I basically showed him how to field dress this first time, with a little bit of help from him. He did help me process about 2/3 of it, but full processing was a little over the attention span and arm strength of an (this) 11 year old, so he just watched and learned on the rear leg steaks and stuff.

It was really funny that the wife and I had him and his mom and my in-laws (his mom and my wife's parents) over for both of the tenderloins and one of the back straps on Sunday. His Mom, per SOP, didn't set a knife at his table spot, and kept trying to cut his steak for him. I politely informed her that I suspected he could cut his own steak, given that he skinned and cut about half of this meat off of the deer with a 4" hunting knife and a 6" fillet knife. She apparently had no idea that her baby was growing up. She just said "Oh... Wow... OK" and handed him the steak knife. Her and my wife don't have any brothers, and his dad is out of the picture (a good thing), so I do what I can. I get a lot of the "welcome to boys. Perfectly normal." calls of "He's going around killing all of the bugs he can find outside" or "He's jumping off of things" etc.

awuo-V5Uqm0V0ztacal9kSS7DYB96XxdizZuiwNUC-aqvoYQyyrkTLbuY0AK5EKRfXcFsnTp3Zha5xGeM0EZeu0Hu1Z1dRvtd_QUTpH3Xq6gVVv2E0UXABpA4-rQOxFty935K0iPyPw4lqteVnrwKMi-Em4qG6mA6uwSGkxJS_1zsj8-m0bqnftKewVQeFRMQBa4VR3DnWInjpcjeh8Gixt-86miOG-jjwuqDKgJ8dW5uhZkkJuRtl-O2XrrDdIYK2FqIQ_3EYOaILij2F4ij3cLer49hDW6qLTfIOHhebHpznQyl07a5Uab0VWR5WPuaNvC7HKfz1FJi3CoT_zPm-p1nPJMcfFC1wvcKktFrz4e6iMiG0TcaLon3F4UN34FuE70CVMMAxiL-8oIC7nB_TQXNXGq7WIE78xapf7BKel9gycGthyaiIpZ3oL-HxrI45gsMqjB7dHfJVFZVOHSikCt3HJufalVviXTOR_ZF4wMKvGmQy0GSErYoYDqGNRw-Q6m72IVU-m4UFgCTsUsQpTUeyWXtoXko1O8qCAjUUli=w1050-h591-no

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby

You can't beat those 'grins'. :ingo:[/QUOTE

The first one is an all rock river 458 socom shooting horniday 325 grain ftx
    the second is a slapped together 458 with a rock river upper from my 458 socom stuck on a Wilson lower
    that has an adjustable stock (good for youth) hence the goody half camo. It's shooting 300 grain Barnes
    ttsx.

I've got a RRA .458, but at least for my 70lb 11 year old nephew, it's really a bit heavy to hold up, and a little heavy recoiling. Thus the reason I popped the $200 on the CVA Hunter .44mag. I had built a pretty lightweight 6.8SPC AR for him to hunt with, but then the rules didn't end up getting changed. Such is life. Sucks though, because it's a lightweight, stainless, sub-MOA weapon, that packs a punch and has pretty mild recoil.

7oOEj_7XDe1Vkz3IkoQ427BdhyfnXHUkHm_jXEcv2E_l12uTPjk1a-gk9glzjErMRui9XHT3rUiTxm8kTSk8oLMaHjc4IhvnuplOKqg93ida8f8DwueHB0Rv6dRds9l3o9PEKCHLRYonDEFvPQjgGyUBjqb4K53zdiH41-aOJ3CVfjGERTRrolmWup3pRX3vPb46Fo-0WXU5hTDy9gesly5qF6KFd_BQXLk1o2fWW7YgEOWLnfvfVAMWUMHMWzBCi5e-08wYr9f3k0s_0jQo3hcDnhjHMFAf9FSvClJfgOdP8eNh4o0DYhS5lQ3BprNfRKLe6c-q3kv7I_ANKaXZTXohKc8e-xrPwnNP3ECC3F3zCLsObqC5BRqHb4jRWk6vbULbi5v2jjnbzrpPU0snOFD44G_T9QPPBsDrCfWo6ky9KitAzW5LiraoWAd8INrS3JCMmU2NBe9TLzt2ArnSabURY-7K203GNK4z7nwEqWBtnTSubuo5LWg24Y3uepwgTY6-PuddB9HUaXjGpxI-2yLNnkozWZL71xRMZv7iWmo=w924-h295-no

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Took my 11 year old nephew youth season hunting on my grandparents' property near Spencer. He got this ~110lb? doe. 44mag CVA Hunter with Prostaff 2-7x BDC shotgun scope and the 225gr LeverEvolution ammo. 40yrds, shoulder/rib/lung/heart/lung/rib/shoulder shot with the bullet stopping just under the skin on the far side (enough to take the hair off right there, but just not quite enough to get through). Neat part is having saved the bullet, I'm going to pour it into a clear resin block for him to keep, with the shell.

I basically showed him how to field dress this first time, with a little bit of help from him. He did help me process about 2/3 of it, but full processing was a little over the attention span and arm strength of an (this) 11 year old, so he just watched and learned on the rear leg steaks and stuff.

It was really funny that the wife and I had him and his mom and my in-laws (his mom and my wife's parents) over for both of the tenderloins and one of the back straps on Sunday. His Mom, per SOP, didn't set a knife at his table spot, and kept trying to cut his steak for him. I politely informed her that I suspected he could cut his own steak, given that he skinned and cut about half of this meat off of the deer with a 4" hunting knife and a 6" fillet knife. She apparently had no idea that her baby was growing up. She just said "Oh... Wow... OK" and handed him the steak knife. Her and my wife don't have any brothers, and his dad is out of the picture (a good thing), so I do what I can. I get a lot of the "welcome to boys. Perfectly normal." calls of "He's going around killing all of the bugs he can find outside" or "He's jumping off of things" etc.

Your nephew is fortunate to have a good uncle like you. All my uncles were jackwagons.:) Also, btw -cool idea on saving the bullet for him. Nice job.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012

awuo-V5Uqm0V0ztacal9kSS7DYB96XxdizZuiwNUC-aqvoYQyyrkTLbuY0AK5EKRfXcFsnTp3Zha5xGeM0EZeu0Hu1Z1dRvtd_QUTpH3Xq6gVVv2E0UXABpA4-rQOxFty935K0iPyPw4lqteVnrwKMi-Em4qG6mA6uwSGkxJS_1zsj8-m0bqnftKewVQeFRMQBa4VR3DnWInjpcjeh8Gixt-86miOG-jjwuqDKgJ8dW5uhZkkJuRtl-O2XrrDdIYK2FqIQ_3EYOaILij2F4ij3cLer49hDW6qLTfIOHhebHpznQyl07a5Uab0VWR5WPuaNvC7HKfz1FJi3CoT_zPm-p1nPJMcfFC1wvcKktFrz4e6iMiG0TcaLon3F4UN34FuE70CVMMAxiL-8oIC7nB_TQXNXGq7WIE78xapf7BKel9gycGthyaiIpZ3oL-HxrI45gsMqjB7dHfJVFZVOHSikCt3HJufalVviXTOR_ZF4wMKvGmQy0GSErYoYDqGNRw-Q6m72IVU-m4UFgCTsUsQpTUeyWXtoXko1O8qCAjUUli=w1050-h591-no
    That's a neet idea and he will always remember!! How do you pour resin blocks ??

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I had similar recoil issues with a 450BM. Kicked worse than a 12g with that carbine buffer tube. The fix was a little 'tuning'... 1- get a rifle tube and use a extra power rifle buffer spring, 2- get a custom 10+oz stainless rifle buffer made, 3- we used an adjustable gas block, and 4- put a decent brake on it. This makes the 450 beast much much tamer. Especially for the younger guys. PM me if you have any questions.

Nice looking set up you have there.

:ingo:

I've got a RRA .458, but at least for my 70lb 11 year old nephew, it's really a bit heavy to hold up, and a little heavy recoiling. Thus the reason I popped the $200 on the CVA Hunter .44mag. I had built a pretty lightweight 6.8SPC AR for him to hunt with, but then the rules didn't end up getting changed. Such is life. Sucks though, because it's a lightweight, stainless, sub-MOA weapon, that packs a punch and has pretty mild recoil.

7oOEj_7XDe1Vkz3IkoQ427BdhyfnXHUkHm_jXEcv2E_l12uTPjk1a-gk9glzjErMRui9XHT3rUiTxm8kTSk8oLMaHjc4IhvnuplOKqg93ida8f8DwueHB0Rv6dRds9l3o9PEKCHLRYonDEFvPQjgGyUBjqb4K53zdiH41-aOJ3CVfjGERTRrolmWup3pRX3vPb46Fo-0WXU5hTDy9gesly5qF6KFd_BQXLk1o2fWW7YgEOWLnfvfVAMWUMHMWzBCi5e-08wYr9f3k0s_0jQo3hcDnhjHMFAf9FSvClJfgOdP8eNh4o0DYhS5lQ3BprNfRKLe6c-q3kv7I_ANKaXZTXohKc8e-xrPwnNP3ECC3F3zCLsObqC5BRqHb4jRWk6vbULbi5v2jjnbzrpPU0snOFD44G_T9QPPBsDrCfWo6ky9KitAzW5LiraoWAd8INrS3JCMmU2NBe9TLzt2ArnSabURY-7K203GNK4z7nwEqWBtnTSubuo5LWg24Y3uepwgTY6-PuddB9HUaXjGpxI-2yLNnkozWZL71xRMZv7iWmo=w924-h295-no

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Thanks, guys! I'm sure there are others, but this is one of the resources I found for pouring resin blocks with stuff in them: http://www.tapplastics.com/product/...ting_products/tap_clear_lite_casting_resin/75

Looks like, including the reusable mold, the catalyzer, and enough resin to make like 6-8 blocks (a quart), I can get it done for around $40.

As for the SOCOM, I had considered doing the recoil-management thing, but it's just plain heavy. One of our hunters has a 450BM, and it's got to weigh like half of what my SOCOM weighs, because the barrel is so lightweight. It's got to be like a .750 barrel, where the SOCOM has what has to be a .910 or .938 barrel. I like it, because it's a 1.5MOA rifle, but it's legitimately pretty heavy for a 16" AR.

Mike

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>

repped

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Some great stories, and for certain, some lasting memories! I remember my first hunt with my uncle when I was probably 12 or 13. He shot a beautiful 10pt about 10 yds from us. If it went to the other side of the tree, it would have been mine! But that hooked me for life. Same uncle used to (and still does) take me fishing and I enjoy all of those memories.

Now I'm getting to do the same with my own kids and nephews.

Top Bottom