Your Thoughts on Glock 19 vs Glock 43X (or similar single stack)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    I watched this video:
    The Glock 19 was awesome, but it's now obsolete.

It got me thinking. I've considered getting a 43X (or G48) after shooting one. I have CC'ed the G19 for a few years.

I was hoping some of you would be willing to share your own experiences. Some questions/feedback:
    • Is the Glock 19 obsolete in YOUR opinion?
    • Do you have experience with both Glock 19 and 43X? If so, which way to you lean?
    • Have any of you went from G19 to 43X, but then BACK to G19?
    • Thoughts on S15 mags (issues, reliability, etc)...
    • Other thoughts...
    Thanks.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    The 10 round capacity of the 43 is kind of a deal breaker. I can't see going for the smaller capacity 43 unless you really felt like you couldn't carry the full width Glock. Personally I don't think the width decrease justifies the capacity loss. The width difference is like 1/8 inch.

I've shot both the full width and the thinner straight line mags. It takes some getting used to, but I don't think you'd have any issue with it after you practice. Having said that I carry a gl27, so I'm used to terrible recoil on my carry gun.

Even if you like the single stack, by no means do I think g19 is obsolete.

It feels like this guy just doesn't like the original glocks, and likes the newer models.

Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I watched this video:

It got me thinking. I've considered getting a 43X (or G48) after shooting one. I have CC'ed the G19 for a few years.

I was hoping some of you would be willing to share your own experiences. Some questions/feedback:
    • Do you have experience with both Glock 19 and 43X? If so, which way to you lean?
    • Other thoughts...
    Thanks.
    I have the G19, G43, G48, and have shot the G48 with the G43 slide. I'm at work and haven't watched the video yet but I can't see any way it could convince me the G19 is obsolete. Glocks aren't my favorite guns but I carry the G48 and keep the G19 (with a G17 mag) in the nightstand. I like them equally, but would carry the G19 if I were still in Indy. The only other thing I would say is that I don't see much point in the G43X. Barrel length doesn't impact concealability and the weight difference is negligible. The only real advantage to the G43X would be a very slight reduction in draw time. IMO, get the longer barrel (G48) for the same price. Just my .02 cents.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've carried a 19 for 7 years and I tried a 48 MOS for a short time but I wasn't as accurate with the 48. The 48 is basically a thin 19 or a 43X with another 1" of slide and barrel so they are comparable. I tried the Shield mag with the 48 and the package functioned reliably but 48 was snappier and just didn't fit my hand so I was inconsistent with it. Depending on how the 43X fits your hand it may be what you are looking for but there's a reason that other manufacturers duplicate the size of the 19, it's a good fit for a huge percentage of the population. I modify the grip on my 19 to some extent and for me, it makes a huge difference in how it fits my hand. I seriously doubt that a 19 becomes obsolete in our lifetime. I'm slowly transitioning to the 19X/45 platform simply because it fits my hand a little better but still carrying a 19 for the time being.
    My advice, put some rounds downrange with a 43X or 48 before you go all in on that platform or you may wish you had your 19 back.

The 19 has a lot of miles on it but is still my "main squeeze"..

20210608_150608.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    IF the 43X/G48 ever does obsolete the G19, it will be many, many years down the road.

Compatibility with a huge amount of the mags and support gear out there will trump the new flavor of the month for a long, long time.

If we are in a gun battle and I toss you a mag, you don't want to die trying to unload and load your special mag vs just sticking that 17 rounder in and back to shooting. :twocents:

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've had a 43x and a 48. I really wanted to like them, I was one of those people wishing for a single stack 19 for years and years. The more I shot them the more I just don't care for the slimness. Ease of concealability wasn't that much different and the shootability of the 19 is so much better, especially since I switched to red dots. YMMV.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    I watched this video:

• Other thoughts...
    Thanks.
    I'm glad this was asked. I too have been considering looking into the 43x/48, and was wondering this same exact thing. My 19 is Frankensteined up from a stripped G23 frame, and is by far my favorite shooter (still be considered a G19? ha)

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I decided my G19 was "obsolete" when I picked up a display G19X at the NRA meeting in Dallas a few years ago. Bought a 19X on the way home and have been carrying it ever since. :)

Like someone said above, for me I don't that the slightly thinner grip makes enough difference to give up the capacity and the magazines. I have other Glocks and a Sub2000 that all use the doublestack magazines.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I don't like the G19. If I'm carrying a double stack I want a full size grip. The G45 fits that role for me. The 43x is a Goldilocks carry gun for me. The grip is just wide and long enough that I shoot it well. I thought I'd prefer the 48 because I typically prefer a 4" barrel. But side-by-side 43x vs 48 I shoot the 43x better. It carries easier than a G45 or G19 especially in warmer weather
    /under only a t-shirt or polo.

It's not zero sum either/or, it's both, each has its place. "Did x make y obsolete?" That is sensationalism headline bait.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I decided my G19 was "obsolete" when I picked up a display G19X at the NRA meeting in Dallas a few years ago. Bought a 19X on the way home and have been carrying it ever since. :)

Like someone said above, for me I don't that the slightly thinner grip makes enough difference to give up the capacity and the magazines. I have other Glocks and a Sub2000 that all use the doublestack magazines.
    I had just the opposite initial reaction to the 19X and on a whim grabbed the rental gun at the shop. I thought it was an answer to a question that no one asked but quickly changed my mind after a few rounds down range. I much prefer a 19 to the 17 or 34 but something about the 19X feels different and very balanced, even more so than a 19. For me personally it's always a different feel to get rounds down range. I was sure that the Shield plus would not suit me at all but it's actually enough different than the previous Shield that it feels very good in hand and the trigger is on another level. YYMV

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I carry my 43X off duty. With Shield Arms 15 Round mags, it is a great carry piece. I have catchers mitt sized paws, so little guns don’t work well. The 43X carries well with my mild R-Value body type.

However, the Glock 19 is a great gun with plenty of pluses for a lot of people. It will be a tall order to make it obsolete.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I had just the opposite initial reaction to the 19X and on a whim grabbed the rental gun at the shop. I thought it was an answer to a question that no one asked but quickly changed my mind after a few rounds down range. I much prefer a 19 to the 17 or 34 but something about the 19X feels different and very balanced, even more so than a 19.
    I fell into a third category; my 19X was purchased, fired, and sold within the same month. I didn’t care for it at all. Then again, my favorite Glocks are the Gen 3s which a lot of people dislike. My current G19 is the Vickers model with the RTF2 frame which feels just about perfect to me.

Top Bottom