• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thank you,CitiusFortius,for getting the ball rolling.That sounds like something that would freak me out too,even if I knew there would be no harm done I'd still be uncomfortable.

BiscuitNaBasket,why opt out?I'd like to learn from your experience

yosemitesam,your thread about loading your defensive ammo is actually what got me started on this whole thing.I'd love to hear the full story.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I had to draw my weapon once. This happened years ago, when I was working a second job at a liquor store. One late, Saturday night, it was about 2:00 am Sunday morning, I was standing next to the cash register, looking out in the vacant parking lot. It had been awhile since I had a customer and I was a little bored. The liquor store had windows in the front and around the side of the building to my right. The windows were about 2 foot tall and began at about 4 foot high. I might also mention that everyone that frequented the liquor store knew that I carried a 1911 in a holster behind my back. I never bothered to conceal it.

Well, something caught my eye. I thought I saw some movement in the corner of my eye to the right of me, at the corner of the building. I wasn't sure what it was so I leaned over the shelving that was just below the windows to get a better look. I just happened to get a glimpse of a persons head as if he was crouched down, moving towards the front door. The hair stood up on the back of my neck and I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach because I knew it was too late for a child to be walking around the front of the store. (Sometimes that would happen during the day, so it wasn't unusual.)

Well, I pulled my weapon and pointed it low, at the front door. The door suddenly flew open and a black man with a small gun entered, crouched low, with the gun aimed right at me. I don't know why I didn't pull the trigger, but I gave the man enough time to see the 1911 pointed at him. His eyes widened when he saw the gun and he dove back out the door. He stood up and ran as fast as he could around the corner of the building, the way that he came, and disappeared into the wooded area behind the store. I called the police and two squad cars showed up and investigated the incident. They were there long past the time I closed, scouring the woods for the would be robber.

They told me they were watching the area anyway because there was someone that was robbing small stores. As far as I know, they never found the guy. However, they had a good laugh about it though. One of them kept saying that they should look for evidence at the front of the store because they were sure the guy soiled himself when he saw the gun aimed at him.

I don't know why I didn't pull the trigger. I guess I didn't feel as though my life was ever in danger. I wasn't even shaken afterwards. The adrenaline was sure pumping through my body and I was excited, but I didn't feel as if I was truly in danger. However, I was glad that I always carried a weapon. There was no telling what would have happened if I wasn't armed.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Another time at the same liquor store, I was robbed early at night, around 9:30 pm on a Friday. This was in the late fall and it was at my busiest time. There were about seven customers in the small store and I was ringing one of them up at the cash register. I saw a black man enter the store, at my right side, rather quickly. (The cash register was just to the side of the door.) I really didn't pay that much attention to him because sometimes customers were in a hurry and I was busy with a customer.

Well, he walked up behind the customer and grabbed my hands away from the register. I pulled back away from him because it made me mad and I thought that he was just being a belligerent customer until I saw the gun stuck into the ribs of the customer that I was waiting on. That's when I looked up and saw this guy had hose pulled over his head and he was ordering me to hand over the money from the register. I did what he wanted and never tried to pull my weapon because I knew it would just endanger the lives of those that were in the store, not to mention the life of the customer that had the gun in his ribs.

The robber kept his position behind the customer as he pulled him out the front door and around the side of the building. Fortunately, the customer fell and the robber then ran into the woods. I ran around behind the building with my gun pulled and held it at my side and then I holstered it once I found the customer was alright. I was afraid for the customer as well as afraid that I would run right into the robber. Anyway, I called the police and they showed up immediately. They scoured the woods with a K9, but were unable to find anything.

They told me that this guy was a pro because he knew exactly what he was doing. He hit me at my busiest time, banking on me not being able to draw my weapon because it would endanger the customers and he used one of the customers as insurance. However, they did say that they really wanted to catch this guy because his actions demonstrated that he was extremely dangerous and he probably wouldn't have hesitated to kill if he was confronted.

Again, I wasn't shaken by the incident, but I did feel like I was a deer caught in the headlights. I knew he had the upper hand and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I was completely helpless as I handed over the money. The customer that was used as a hostage kept asking me why I didn't pull my weapon and shoot the guy. All I could tell him was that he would probably be the first to go if I did pull my weapon.

Fortunately, everything worked out alright and the only that happened was I was robbed of about $500 and the customer that I was waiting on was shaken, but not hurt. For a long time, I kept running that scenario through my mind to determine if I could have done something else, but I was completely helpless. He knew that I was carrying and he wasn't about to let me reach behind my back to grab my weapon.

The police reassured me that I did everything I could in that situation. They also said that since I was carrying, the robber couldn't risk robbing any of the other customers. He had to just take the money and run.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    yepthatsme,seems like they should burn down those d@mn woods behind your store.I used to work late shifts at Wal-Mart and currently work the 5:30pm to 2am shift at IU,when all the bad stuff happens on campus.I know that I hate being unarmed at work and that you're lucky the owner allows you to carry.From the stories you told,it seems like you have a pretty clear head under pressure so carry on.Thanks for posting.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    yepthatsme,seems like they should burn down those d@mn woods behind your store.I used to work late shifts at Wal-Mart and currently work the 5:30pm to 2am shift at IU,when all the bad stuff happens on campus.I know that I hate being unarmed at work and that you're lucky the owner allows you to carry.From the stories you told,it seems like you have a pretty clear head under pressure so carry on.Thanks for posting.

Eventually, they did tear down the woods and built an apartment complex, but that just made it worse. I had quit by then, but I kept hearing from others that the liquor store was being robbed more frequently after that. Thanks for the compliment!

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    I posted one of my stories and got severely castigated for nor shooting the guy, even though he halted his attack when I hollered "Stop! Or I'll pop you!" :D

Here's another one. PD lost out on a foot chase, so I caught them and got them to ride in back of my truck down a divided road for two blocks on the wrong side of the road. We caught the bad guys, and then they were told BU was 20-30 minutes away. We stayed in the truck and placed it between the cops and the crowd.
    We were in a really bad area and the crowd grew to about 150 or so. BU arrived and as they were loading the perps into the car, wife suddenly jabbed me and said "He's got a gun!" and pointed out an AH stepping past the truck about 10' away with a gun in hand half hidden behind his coat flap as he eased towards the LEO's. My backstop was at least 50 people and as I drew I hollered "Freeze!" so the cops would also hear and take action. The POS looked as the LEO's turned, spun and took off. One LEO came over and asked what had just happened as I still had my pistol on the window sill. I told him and he said let's all just leave.
    The crowd was getting very vocal and unruly and htere were just 4 LEO's, two in cuffs, us and maybe 175 in the crowd by then.

As a side note, this was during the period when there was a $10,000. bounty on every LEO shot in Richmond and surrounding counties. Being as my truck had signage on it, that may be why random people would take potshots at me over the years along with other 'attacks'.

Alright, give me hell again for not shooting again.:popcorn:

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I posted one of my stories and got severely castigated for nor shooting the guy, even though he halted his attack when I hollered "Stop! Or I'll pop you!" :D

Here's another one. PD lost out on a foot chase, so I caught them and got them to ride in back of my truck down a divided road for two blocks on the wrong side of the roar. We caught the bad guys, and then thye were told BU was 20-30 minutes away. We stayed in the truck and placed it between the cops and the crowd.
    We were in a really bad area and the crowd grew to about 150 or so. BU arrived and as they were loading the perps into the car, wife suddenly jabbed me and said "He's got a gun!" and pointed out an AH stepping past the truck about 10' away with a gun in hand half hidden behind his coat flap as he eased towards the LEO's. My backstop was at least 50 people and as I drew I hollered "Freeze!" so the cops would also hear and take action. The POS looked as the LEO's turned, spun and took off. One LEO came over and asked what had just happened as I still had my pistol on the window sill. I told him and he said let's all just leave.
    The crowd was getting very vocal and unruly and htere were just 4 LEO's, two in cuffs, us and maybe 175 in the crowd by then.

As a side note, this ws during the period when there was a $10,000. bounty on every LEO shot in RIchmond and surrounding counties. Being as my truck had signage on it, that may be why random people would take potshots at me over the years along with other 'attacks'.

Alright, give me hell agian for not shooting again.:popcorn:

I might, but I'd have to understand your story first.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Crap load of typos, eh? I was rushed and didn't proof it. Maybe that will help.
    And this.
    BU-backup
    POS-piece of sxxx
    AH-A-hole
    Eh,I was able to decipher the abbreviations. It was the narrative itself that didn't exactly flow. I think I got the gist, but definitely not enough to say for sure.

However, in the part that mattered, I wouldn't fault you for not shooting at a bad guy with that many people around unless it was an absolute life or death (or close to it) situation. Then again, I wouldn't fault you for doing it either. ;)

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    :)::)::): "
    The crowd was getting very vocal and unruly and htere were just 4 LEO's, two in cuffs, us and maybe 175 in the crowd by then." :)::):
    I see it now! :rolleyes:
    BU was 2 more LEO's. It should have read
    "The crowd was getting very vocal and unruly and htere were just 4 LEO's, two suspects in cuffs, us and maybe 175 in the crowd by then."

Sorry about that. Wife was in ahuge rush and I was typing faster than I could proof it, but slower than my thought-train. Heck, I can't make my mouth keep up with mind.:runaway:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Tinner666,interesting story.I'm behind you on not pulling the trigger,you did the right thing.If you'd shot the guy with that many witnesses who were,let's just say "not on your side",you could've gone to jail with the perps you helped catch.I have to say that this story is pretty outstanding in my mind only at the end because of the "10k bounty" but I also don't know that area very well.Care to enlighten a farm boy about the perils of city living?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    "However, in the part that mattered, I wouldn't fault you for not shooting at a bad guy with that many people around unless it was an absolute life or death (or close to it) situation. Then again, I wouldn't fault you for doing it either."
    He wasn't pointing yet. In his right hand, holding a jacket edge over it. Wife saw him draw it and I wasn't even sure at first, but I drew and looked closer. Two seconds more and it would have been a shooting matter.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    The bounty? In the 80's and 90's, Richmond Va. achieved the title 'Murder Capital'. At less that 300K people, we were averaging one murder every two days. Drugs were rampant. PD were NOT allowed in my area, and several over areas without BU. No BU, no response to the call. EMT's stayed out until the 10-4 signal. Sometimes an hour.

I think we had 30 murders last year. After living in that war zone, it's boring nowadays. I haven't had to draw in more than 4-5 months lately.. Well, I didn't draw then, I caught a burgler in action and as he started towards me, I uncovered and he changed his mind. At least 50' away.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Just this week, I went to a local auto parts store and had to calm down a situation in the street out front. It's on the corner of a side street and the main street, parking is along the side street. I had just got something out of the back of my truck and was headed for the door when I heard someone screaming near the stop sign. I turned around and a guy was in front of the car at the stop sign (about 50-75 ft away) making his was to the drivers door, I watched him hit the car, grab the partially open window and pull on it trying to break it off, then reach inside. In not sure if he was grabbing or swinging, but he went way to far. I yelled at him "hey, you need to calm down" to which he replied that it wasn't my fing business. I then yelled back to him that he just made it my business and he needed to step away from the car. While I was saying that, I was dropping the greasy old hydraulic hose that I had in my hands and taking my gloves off. He then got irate and started screaming back at me, but when he did, he took his arm out of the window. When he did, the, girl I think, took off and got away. It was the smartest thing he did that day, maybe ever. The 96g didn't have to come out, didn't even have to be seen, but had he kept up what he was doing, he would have got a real good look at it. I wasn't sure how it started, and didn't care, but I believe she almost pulled out in front of him at the stop sign and he almost hit her. I think I made the right move, and she didn't get hurt, that I know of.

Top Bottom