• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Captain Obvious here. I get amused by the post of people complaining of being stopped by the po po, and they happen to mention it occurs multiple times per year. But admit they did something each and every time to give the po po reason to do the stop.

So it's obvious to Captain Obvious, that lots of people do not see the obvious. Most likely the same folks that drive past a big new building everyday for 3yrs to finally exclaim at the end of said 3 yrs, "when did they put that there".

I'll go save another forum now.

Or you could just stay at home, that would to it also. :rolleyes:

I can't speak for others that have places to go and a desire to get there in a reasonable time, but I'm fully aware that I may be subject to interaction with officer friendly, whenever I drive. The only question to be answered is how said officer chooses to handle my licensed self defense choices? Do they have an agenda beyond a traffic violation?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I'd like to know if the whole "address change" thing is true. I simply just don't want to dish out more money for something I shouldn't have had to pay for in the first place.

100% false*. This is what concerns me though. Many officers assume they know handgun and ltch laws when they don't. Had the address been "wrong" on the LTCH this officer might have hauled him to jail without checking first.

The address on my LTCH is not correct but the one in the database is.

* The only exception I can think of is where you lied about your address and they could prove it.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I must say, I do love the officer's response to the OP saying he didn't consent to his property being confiscated. "I am not confiscating it, I am detaining it. LOL
    Why would anybody be upset about having their firearm confiscated/detained by an officer during a traffic stop? According to the old saying, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away" In these cases, the police are literally seconds away to protect you.

I think the real lesson learned here is that you should ALWAYS carry a BUG (or two) that way when the officer disarms you of your EDC, for his safety, the joke is on him.

Seriously though, the OP summed it up in his comments. "I didn't make an issue out of it because I was concerned about getting a ticket that I can't afford" Perfect opening for your rights to get stepped on or violated. And I am not slamming the OP here. People do it every day, in all aspects of their lives.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    LEO's are way overusing the 'Officer safety" excuse as a subterfuge to disarm for invalid reasons. As it's now being abused by SOME Officers, it's time to pull in the reins on it.

Need to push the law further down the road. There is NO valid reason to 'disarm for Officer safety' UNLESS there is probable cause or specific, articulable facts for doing so. Disarming a citizen in Indiana simply because they are armed is NOT a valid reason.

It's up to the civilian population to push further so that specific facts indicating a specific threat must be present before a LEO can legitimately disarm a citizen.

I agree.

I can't speak to someone else's priorities, but I would have politely protested the disarmament, speeding ticket or not.

What I would LIKE to say if this happens to me is "the gun is safe in the holster right now. I think we invite problems by passing it around, unholstering it, etc. I'm really not comfortable having you take my gun. If you insist on doing that, I would like you to call a supervisor to observe the process"

Is that a rational response? Or do I just have to accept that they are going to do it and cooperate without protest?

Edit to add: I can't remember the last time I had only one gun in the car. Perhaps I let them take it, wait until I get my gun back and whatever else (ticket, lecture, warning, etc) and then ask them why they didn't take my other guns?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Don't break the law = Don't get stopped = Don't get disarmed. :)

The OP isn't disputing that he was speeding nor is he complaining about being pulled over. Enforcing traffic violations doesn't equate to disarming nondangerous citizens.

And the argument is still relevant if the OP was pulled over for a taillight that went out, for example.

Walt G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hendricks co
    I think most important less is never put carry weapon and registration /proof of insurance in same location. It is bad practice to have to handle a fire arm just to give docs to police officer.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I think most important less is never put carry weapon and registration /proof of insurance in same location. It is bad practice to have to handle a fire arm just to give docs to police officer.
    I agree with this, but the officer still needs to respond correctly. I know of an individual that has been pulled over a few times recently with the firearm in center console by the papers, and when the officers were informed they didn't care or even ask for a LTCH. These officers understood that the presence of a firearm alone does not cause officer safety issues.

Top Bottom