X95. Gas problems? Thoughts? Anyone saw a used one for sale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Galaxy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    West Lafayette
    I've been interested in a Tavor X95 for a while now. Since the... stuff broke out I'm thinking about pulling the trigger right now before anything goes way south. Just trying to collect some thoughts--anyone had experience with them and other bullpups? I've heard that they have excessive gas problems, is that a thing? I'm such a trigger snob that I couldn't stand Hellion's trigger being somewhat mushy and having a huge length of pull, but I've tried out the X95 a few times and found them to be relatively cool.

Also what stops me from getting one is always the price, did anyone happen to see a used one in a gun store in the Indianapolis area?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've got the original SAR with a Giselle trigger pack in it. If you're wanting a top-notch hunting rifle trigger feel in a Tavor, you're going to be disappointed. If you're OK with a solidly built but heavy rifle with a decent trigger that has a clean break, then you'll be thrilled. The 'heavy' disappears when you're shouldering the rifle, as the center of gravity is just behind your trigger hand, so the perceived weight all but disappears. X95's aren't all that different from the SAR's--they are more easily modified with add-ons and such though. I've never had any excessive gas problems with my rifle, though beans and cheese affect the person behind the trigger substantially...

And good luck on the price issue. These things are NEVER cheap. Reliable, ruggedly well built and awesome to shoot...but not cheap.

Galaxy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    West Lafayette
    I've got the original SAR with a Giselle trigger pack in it. If you're wanting a top-notch hunting rifle trigger feel in a Tavor, you're going to be disappointed. If you're OK with a solidly built but heavy rifle with a decent trigger that has a clean break, then you'll be thrilled. The 'heavy' disappears when you're shouldering the rifle, as the center of gravity is just behind your trigger hand, so the perceived weight all but disappears. X95's aren't all that different from the SAR's--they are more easily modified with add-ons and such though. I've never had any excessive gas problems with my rifle, though beans and cheese affect the person behind the trigger substantially...

And good luck on the price issue. These things are NEVER cheap. Reliable, ruggedly well built and awesome to shoot...but not cheap.
    AFAIK X95 also had their own upgrade on the trigger compared to the SAR.

I know they are not CHEAP cheap, just much more tempting to get one with a "used" price tag. Somewhere between 1k2 to 1k4 is at least a good price and not crazy good deal or extremely costly. They could go for 1k2 brand new on gunbroker if lucky--but I wasn't lucky recently lol

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    They were turning up on Bereli regularly for $1400. Neck and neck with Aug prices, but between the two I think I'd prefer X95.

Number of aftermarket trigger packs out there, but it does suffer from the long linkage issue common to any bullpup with a remote operated trigger pack.

They're cool but I wouldn't buy a bullpup before I was completely set with all the normal guns.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I don't believe the gas is that bad on them. Trigger is not too terrible to overcome. If you have the funds to try one out, then might as well. I only sold mines because I could get everything I wanted in an AR, but cheaper, the only compromise was OAL really.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    They're "over"gassed for reliability. it's only problematic when suppressed.

X95 trigger is much better than the SAR from what I've heard (I've only ever handled my X95). After a couple k rounds my trigger's nice and smooth, still long and a little mushy but always breaks cleanly at the same spot. There are aftermarket options if you want to get into it.

My wife prefers it to an overall lighter AR because the weight is closer. As Eric says, they don't feel heavy handling them, just when you're carrying it around.

If you find one under 1500, jump on it. sorry, can't help with locating one though. If you can make it down to HHRP you're welcome to try mine.

Galaxy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2023
    West Lafayette
    They're "over"gassed for reliability. it's only problematic when suppressed.

X95 trigger is much better than the SAR from what I've heard (I've only ever handled my X95). After a couple k rounds my trigger's nice and smooth, still long and a little mushy but always breaks cleanly at the same spot. There are aftermarket options if you want to get into it.

My wife prefers it to an overall lighter AR because the weight is closer. As Eric says, they don't feel heavy handling them, just when you're carrying it around.

If you find one under 1500, jump on it. sorry, can't help with locating one though. If you can make it down to HHRP you're welcome to try mine.
    I just love bullpup's weight distribution. It handles like a dream

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have 2 X95's. One is 16" the other is 13"
    The SBR has become my favorite gun to shoot. I put Geissele triggers in both since I am abit of a trigger snob as well.

Like said above the overgas issue only really shows up when supressed.
    I have run a YHM Turbo T2 and recoil was more noticeable.
    When I switched it to a OSS Flow supressor that helped alot and I put an over power recoil spring in it but haven't decided if I am keeping that in it. I haven't put enough rounds through it yet to make up my mind.
    The bullpup design felt foreign to me at first, mostly learning how to reload efficiently.
    But now that I am past that it is my go to gun.
    Absolutely love the way it shoots and feels

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I love my X95. The out of the box trigger is not that bad, mine was better than some duty weight AR triggers I've shot, and it is a fighting rifle not a target rifle anyway. People complain about the price but they are priced similarly to better quality ARs like BCM, DD, etc.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I have a couple of SARs. The triggers seem fine but I went from a FS2000 to the SAR. You have a much better chance of winning the Powerball than figuring out when a FS2000 is going to go bang.

MH

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have 2 X95's. One is 16" the other is 13"
    The SBR has become my favorite gun to shoot. I put Geissele triggers in both since I am abit of a trigger snob as well.

Like said above the overgas issue only really shows up when supressed.
    I have run a YHM Turbo T2 and recoil was more noticeable.
    When I switched it to a OSS Flow supressor that helped alot and I put an over power recoil spring in it but haven't decided if I am keeping that in it. I haven't put enough rounds through it yet to make up my mind.
    The bullpup design felt foreign to me at first, mostly learning how to reload efficiently.
    But now that I am past that it is my go to gun.
    Absolutely love the way it shoots and feels
    Does the X95 not have some kind of adjustable gas?

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    I just had my x95 chopped to 13”, I think it’s mildly over gassed, but not awful. I had read that they are over gassed so the barrel chop
    likely wouldn’t require any tweaks to the gas port. I’ve only got one range trip since it was done, no issues with some cheaper brass 55gr or 77gr.
    I did upgrade to the Geissele trigger bow, and it’s fine the way it is. The x95 trigger pack is definitely better than the SAR ones so I don’t feel the need to drop cash on the G trigger pack too.
    IMG_1506.jpeg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a factory SBR X95. I usually run it suppressed and it did seem over gassed with standard Suppressor. When I got my Flow suppressor that helped a lot.
    but the only other solution that I have found is a heavy duty recoil spring.
    I installed one it it helps some. Keeps the bolt from battering the receiver as bad.

I put one in my 13" and my 16" so far so good.

There is a guy on Redit working on design for an adjustable gas block. on the Tavor sub forum

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Had an X95 OD for a minute… never shot it because I couldn’t get spare parts for it. Still no bolt parts available. I‘m still on the waiting list for bolt repair parts… been 4 years since I signed up and still nothing. I wanted an X95 for a long time… won’t own anything that I can’t repair in the field.

Canes173

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Crown Point
    You can call iwi US and plead for parts. I called a few times asking for the short top rail so I could do my sbr as the kits are basically unobtainable. After a couple calls they magically found one for me. It’s not ideal, but is an option at least

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You can call iwi US and plead for parts. I called a few times asking for the short top rail so I could do my sbr as the kits are basically unobtainable. After a couple calls they magically found one for me. It’s not ideal, but is an option at least
    If one has to plead for critical parts then it’s not a viable option for first line defense. I think the platform is good the design is good as is the quality but when you can’t find a replacement firing pin, extractor or a recoil spring or whatever it’s an issue.
    To me it’s an excellent gun but would be a range toy only.
    For the person who can’t afford multiples and is a one gun only individual it could present an issue.
    I like the X95 and if in the future they can provide spare parts in a timely manner I will definitely get another one!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm not sure really what IWI puts their money into. I emailed them about mags for my UZI Pro about a month ago and never got a response. Now that the IDF has moved on from the Tavor as their primary weapon I wonder how much of a market the gun has in the US in order to justify to continue making it or offering it here in the states. I have an X95 and I like it. It's heavy but once shouldered it doesn't feel as heavy because most of the weight is in the buttstock

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure really what IWI puts their money into. I emailed them about mags for my UZI Pro about a month ago and never got a response. Now that the IDF has moved on from the Tavor as their primary weapon I wonder how much of a market the gun has in the US in order to justify to continue making it or offering it here in the states. I have an X95 and I like it. It's heavy but once shouldered it doesn't feel as heavy because most of the weight is in the buttstock
    Wait, IDF moved on from the Tavor? When did this happen and what are they using now?
    And I'd almost think that would increase the US market sales from the excess they'd already made / made parts for...

Top Bottom