• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I came acrossed my father's WW II dog tags. One has two holes in it, the other has only one. My Dad is not alive to ask. I would appreciate it if someone who really knows would tell me how they were worn.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Old Sarge2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Deep in the Ozark Mountains
    I cannot tell why there are 2 holes in one of them, but I went in to the military during the Korean Conflict. One dog tag was worn on a long chain around your neck. The other dog tag was on a shorter chain, and hung onto the longer chain.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I came acrossed my father's WW II dog tags. One has two holes in it, the other has only one. My Dad is not alive to ask. I would appreciate it if someone who really knows would tell me how they were worn.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    The only tags I've ever seen with two holes are Canadian...
    One dog tag was worn on a long chain around your neck. The other dog tag was on a shorter chain, and hung onto the longer chain.
    Yeah that ^. Although my brother told me once that he (and a bunch of others) taped theirs together to keep them from making noise when they were trying to stay hidden.
    Dunno if that's valid. It's a 50/50 shot at BS.:D

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Yeah that ^. Although my brother told me once that he (and a bunch of others) taped theirs together to keep them from making noise when they were trying to stay hidden.
    Dunno if that's valid. It's a 50/50 shot at BS.:D

I don't know unless he inter-laced one in a boot or something else .

Nowadays they make rubber "gaskets" to wrap around them so they don't make noise .

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    What a great find!! I too do not know why one has two holes in it, but just had to commit on the find, And I know they did tape them together to keep them from making noise. Good for you on the find. :patriot:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I don't know unless he inter-laced one in a boot or something else .

Nowadays they make rubber "gaskets" to wrap around them so they don't make noise .

I always taped mine together with black electrical tape. The rubber gaskets suck IMO.

As far as WWII dog tags go, I know they had a hole for the chain and a notch to hold them in the press while they were being made. I don't know why they would have two holes.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    two holes, some wore with chain/leather threaded through both so they didn't make noise.
    Adam%20Beach1.jpg

Only pic I could find.lol
    images

----------------------------------
    Or like this one? The marks on the edge are from the holder.
    Wilber_Steinkamp_WWII_Dog_Tag_from_crash_site.jpg

Last edited:

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    I have been told that the notch was a contour of one of your teeth to help in identification. I was told that by a Korean Navy vet.
    He told you wrong.lol Its on the tag to hold it center to line the punches up. SOunds good though

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Neat find. It's always nice to have a piece of family history that you can hold and wear. I have my Grandfather's WWII Marine dog tags from Okinawa. However, his are very delicate and cannot be messed with much. His original tags were blown off of him during an attack so while recovering from his injuries he made these from a c-ration can and some twine so he could get back into the fight. Only to be wounded a second time. Carved his serial number with his K-Bar.
    Dogtag.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here are the tags:
    IMGP0054.jpg

The tag with one hole is larger than the other and the edges are not as even. I believe it was hand-made. It may have been made to replace a tag that was lost as two tags, one with two holes and one with one hole, were apparently issued. The markings indicate the date of his tetanus shot, blood type, Religious preference, and Naval Reserve. The larger tag omits religious preference and has a different date for the tetanus shot. I know my father was active duty as a flight engineer on Naval Aircraft. I discovered that during WWII, no one was allowed to enlist in the navy. They entered the Naval Reserve under something called the V-6 program. I have been unable to learn much about this program.

Thanks for all your input. If anyone knows anything about V-6, I'd be glad to hear it.

Doug

Last edited:

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Those are US Navy tags from WWII. I believe the USMC also used tags like those. They were worn like the picture in Newman's post. The other kind of tag with only one hole (looks like the typical dog tag) are Army tags. The Army wore theirs from a chain, while the Navy wore them from a cord around the neck, which went through both holes.

ETA: I've got a pair of each at home. I'll try to take a picture of them next time I get a chance.

mickar15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My father was in Marine aviation in WWII. They wore them on a cord, so if your plane burned, the cord burned away and didn't brand you like a chain would.

The notch on the other tag is a tooth notch. Thats the tag that stays with the body. Tag in the mouth, wedged between the upper and lower jaws. Don't take that to the bank, it's just what I was told by an old time NCO in the Army.

Top Bottom