• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Excerpt from an email a "friend" sent me recently. The only thing I have ever killed or maimed is some sheets of paper stapled to a backboard. I must think of a reasoned response:

I suppose it wouldn't be right for me to share what a sick, twisted person you are as an AR-15 owner. It has one and ONLY one purpose, for killing and maiming as many people as quickly as possible. Not only should it be illegal to have one, it shouldn't need to be because anyone who'd want one must have something terribly wrong with them.
    Just words from our liberal "friend". Or how you carry a gun around because you fantasize about getting in a gun battle and shooting a "bad guy"

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Excerpt from an email a "friend" sent me recently. The only thing I have ever killed or maimed is some sheets of paper stapled to a backboard. I must think of a reasoned response:
    I suppose it wouldn't be right for me to share what a sick, twisted person you are as an AR-15 owner. It has one and ONLY one purpose, for killing and maiming as many people as quickly as possible. Not only should it be illegal to have one, it shouldn't need to be because anyone who'd want one must have something terribly wrong with them.
    Just words from our liberal "friend". Or how you carry a gun around because you fantasize about getting in a gun battle and shooting a "bad guy"

I lost a couple "friends" that said the same thing, with one of them calling me a **** (rhymes with runt) because I owned an "assault rifle." When I called him on it, he said it doesn't apply to police or military. I didn't take the time to talk to him about citizen ownership of firearms because it would have been wasted breath.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd simply respond with "I'm sorry you feel that way." Then, no further communication. Obviously not a "friend", and probably not even a good acquaintance.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    It is unfortunate how some "open minded" people are so ignorant when it comes to guns. I have also lost friends over this discussion.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    "Thank you for the time and effort you spent in composing this email and sharing your opinion with me. As a lawful gun owner I can assure you that I am neither sick nor twisted, as such people are barred from the lawful ownership of firearms.

The AR-15 was originally developed as a modern sporting rifle, and is enjoyed by many for that purpose. There are quite literally millions of these firearms in circulation, and the overwhelming majority of which are owned and used without causing harm to anyone. According to the FBI's statistics there were 248 murders with all types of rifle, not just AR-15s, for the entire year of 2015.

Out of a recorded 11,961 murders in the United States only 2% were as a result of all rifles and not just AR-15s. By comparison 1567 were murdered with knives, which is 13% of total murders for 2015. Knives were used 6.5 times more than any rifle to commit murder. It is not an exaggeration to say that you are more likely to be struck by lightning or attacked by a shark than you are to be killed with any rifle.

People choose to exercise their ability to defend themselves and their loved ones for a variety of reasons. I believe that I have a right to life, and the cornerstone of that right is the ability to protect myself. To that end I choose the most effective tool that I have available. While many of us acknowledge that if presented with deadly force we may be obliged to respond in kind to protect ourselves or those that we love none of us salivate at the thought of it.

I am sorry that your view of gun owners is at odds with the person that you called a friend. Moreover I am sorry that you were not comfortable to come and talk to me in person as it appears that I have misjudged our friendship. I hope that some day you will look beyond the lazy caricature that is presented of millions of law abiding Americans. Until that day I wish you well"

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Besides, if the AR's only purpose is to kill quickly and efficiently, then it is actually pretty terrible at its job.

Relatively slow rate of fire (certainly not full-auto). Fairly small caliber (certainly not a "high power rifle" round).

Compared to actual battle rifles, it is at best an average performer.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm tired of ***** footing around with people like that. Yes, it's design resembles a real issued military weapon. Our founding fathers used weapons owned by civilians against a tyrannical government. They won our freadoms by killing the tyrants. Denying civilians the same weapons used by a potential tyrant, even if it's our own government is unconstitutional. Now if you want to make my rifle illegal then come take it yourself. That makes you one in the same as the British Regulars. Molon Labe.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    And, when they spout that BS about the founding fathers having no knowledge of today's modern semi-automatic sporting rifle, point out to them that the founding fathers were, in fact, referring to absolute state-of-the-art weaponry when they wrote those documents.

If we would stop calling them "assault weapons" ourselves if might help our cause. "Heck yeah, it's an assault weapon. Hold my beer and watch this!"

"We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Why bother responding at all? There is nothing you could say that will make a positive difference. The person who wrote that is clearly trying to evoke a response from you, so why take the bait and reward them?

I say ignore it and move on.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette

You need to get rid of that "friend", or maybe try and educate them about your scary black gun and take them to the shooting range? I'm guessing their mind wouldn't change about their stance on the subject though.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Can't argue with a liberal /thread.

That being said, my favorite argument is this:

Me: "Fine, I get it, you don't like guns. Why don't you just come take it from me?"

Them: "I can't, you'll shoot me."

M: "Exactly, I have the power to prevent you from taking anything from me."

T: "But you shouldn't have that kind of power."

M: "Okay, I'm going to take from you your freedom, force you to be silent, and take from you anything I desire."

T: "You can't do that!"

M: "What power do you have to stop me, right here, and right now?"

T: "I'll call the police".

M: "You'll be dead before you hear '911 what's your emergency'".

T: "......"

M: "And that's why you should have a gun."

Top Bottom