• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJeff

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jul 7, 2020
    US
    I know alot of women who try the 9mm shield ez tend to love them. Take her to a gun store and see if she can rack the s&w ez 9mm. That may work for her.

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    CKW had serious medical issues that took her out of the game for a few years. She is back now but reduced muscle mass has her struggling with the slide on about anything so I built her this and she loves it. Steel killer for her.
    I spent some coin on it but man it is a serious little shooter and she is all smiles.

91JXzpi.jpg
    Wow, Churchmouse, that is freaking awesome...can you spare some details sometime?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My wife likes my fullsize CZ75, but she also shoots the Colt Gov't.380 quite well. I actually have recently aquired a CZ 83 and she loves the feel of it, haven't been able to do any shooting with it yet.

I went this route instead of modifying the Colt with new sights and ambi safety, and the CZ is more left hand friendly for her.

Last edited:

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I’ve only been married 33 years, but I can tell you some of the best resolutions to concerns have come by not trying to force a solution. Seeing as how you’re retired, maybe you’ve been married longer and know that already. I still have to remind myself of it sometimes. I’m sure you’ll figure this one out together. Sorry I don’t have a suggestion about the gun choice though. Good luck.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My wife likes my fullsize CZ75, but she also shoots the Colt Gov't.380 quite well. I actually have recently aquired a CZ 83 and she loves the feel of it, haven't been able to do any shooting with it yet.

I went this route instead of modifying the Colt with new sights and ambi safety, and the CZ is more left hand friendly for her.
    I have a CZ 75 P01. It is my absolute favorite semi-automatic. It's a nice solid gun. It's accurate with low recoil.

I don't carry it because it is too big for me to easily conceal. I also have the CZ Rami which I think would be a great carry gun if I found the right holster for it. Definitely love the CZ's.

Attachments

• 5539.jpeg
      5539.jpeg
      963 KB · Views: 3
    • 5537.jpeg
      5537.jpeg
      989.2 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, Churchmouse, that is freaking awesome...can you spare some details sometime?
    I can not remember everything as one on the guys we used to shoot with was/is a rimfire freak.
    Gun is a Ruger 22/45 "Lite"
    Complete Volquastren (Sp) internals. Everything they offer for this gun. The Slide racking handle on the back came from the same forum that had the "V" components if memory serves. The comp was something my buddy had.
    Optic is a C-More.
    So yeah i spent some coin here but she is all smiles at the line.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

It's been too long since I've shot a CZ 83. It is a nice little pistol!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I can not remember everything as one on the guys we used to shoot with was/is a rimfire freak.
    Gun is a Ruger 22/45 "Lite"
    Complete Volquastren (Sp) internals. Everything they offer for this gun. The Slide racking handle on the back came from the same forum that had the "V" components if memory serves. The comp was something my buddy had.
    Optic is a C-More.
    So yeah i spent some coin here but she is all smiles at the line.
    The slide racker and comp are TandemKross products

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had one years ago and ended up selling it to a buddy. I tried to get him to part with it, but he said no way it is his daughters favorite to shoot.
    This pistol has brought 3 adult females and several children into the fold. Put any new shooter on the line at 21 feet to the steel and they are pinging it steady by the 2nd mag and its all smiles.

carry205

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2017
    Florissant
    This pistol has brought 3 adult females and several children into the fold. Put any new shooter on the line at 21 feet to the steel and they are pinging it steady by the 2nd mag and its all smiles.
    That is tremendous, CM. I hope one day to be able to say the same thing.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I wouldnt force someone to carry a gun. If they don’t like the idea, they’d never be able to have the mindset to use it. Now the firearm is a liability....

Reactions: Leo

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    The third time I took m’lady out shooting, I told her that the purpose of this range visit is to find out what you want to get good with and carry(caliber more than anything else). I brought everything with me, all steel and polymers alike, all calibers of each, she went through all of them(including an SR22) one at a time.

She liked the Glock 19 the most out of everything and still does to this day. Every time I get something new and we go out to shoot it, I ask her if she liked it more than the 19, she hasn’t found one she likes better yet. We got a couple micro 9’s recently took them out…she thinks they’re way too snappy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If a carry piece is not needed, of all the pistols that were easy to shoot and shoot well, the Beretta M9 / 92fs always came up good.

After new shooters completed the First Shots program that used Ruger MKIII pistols, those who came back for lessons most easily picked up the Beretta. Lots of surface to grip, recoil spring is light, recoil is very gentle. It was surely a good stepping stone from the little .22 Ruger and took away fear of a "big gun" . Probably 75 people went to the Beretta after the First shots program, even if they eventually ended up buying something else.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    There is a wise old saying that a .22 that hits the mark is more effective than a .44 Magnum that misses.

My wife has some arthritis in her hands sufficient that even a light loaded .38 just won't work for her.

A-shopping we did go.

.25's were out. I personally investigated cases where .25 auto rounds bounced off of the skulls of their intended victims. That left .22s.

She fell in love with the feel of the Walther P22. It holds eleven with one in the spout. She loves shooting with it and is deadly with it. I explained the limitations of the cartridge and told her that if an attacker absorbs eleven rounds of high speed .22s and keeps coming that it just ain't her day.

When shopping for a defense gun for the House Wren you have to keep an open mind.

dw.watts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2021
    Kokomo
    There is a wise old saying that a .22 that hits the mark is more effective than a .44 Magnum that misses.

My wife has some arthritis in her hands sufficient that even a light loaded .38 just won't work for her.

A-shopping we did go.

.25's were out. I personally investigated cases where .25 auto rounds bounced off of the skulls of their intended victims. That left .22s.

She fell in love with the feel of the Walther P22. It holds eleven with one in the spout. She loves shooting with it and is deadly with it. I explained the limitations of the cartridge and told her that if an attacker absorbs eleven rounds of high speed .22s and keeps coming that it just ain't her day.

When shopping for a defense gun for the House Wren you have to keep an open mind.
    While reading I’ve thought about all the LEO shooting vids we have at our fingertips nowadays that show perpetrators not even being slowed by fully filled magazines of hot 9mm. I fully appreciate your logic though and the compromise of the generic shooter’s abilities(keeping an open mind indeed).

That said, and as I see it, it makes more sense to me to invest in training, ammo, and range time to be able to handle a larger cartridge than it does to possibly find yourself in a fight with the wrong tools…respectfully.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have a 9mm EZ, she cannot rack it, either. Is the .380 EZ any “easier”?
    American Rifleman had a review on the 9mm where they contrasted it with the .380. One paragraph was the following:

“There is also an increase in recoil spring tension—the 9 mm has a single coil flat spring. With the frames chucked into a vice with a sturdy clamp on the slides and using a fish-type scale, the .380 EZ came in at 9 lbs. of cocking effort while the 9 mm EZ registered 13 lbs., which is in marked contrast to the 23 lbs. required for a standard M&P9 Shield in 9 mm.”

From a Jan 30, 2020 article by Mark Keefe.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I might get Ingocised for this, but if you're thinking about a .22wmr, take a hard look at the Keltec PMR30.
    It's a 30 round mag of .22mag without reloading.
    Add a second mag and you're up to 60 rounds!

Even if it's only a .22mag, when you perforate something it usually doesn't last long...

Top Bottom