• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ketlage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    It’s not a unique situation and it’s also not the worst situation.

She doesn’t want or need her own gun. She just needs to be able to get to and use your HD gun when needed. If you keep the HD gun loaded she doesn’t ‘really’ need to rack it to defend herself and handle most situations. Yeah it’s not the most versatile position to be in but she also isn’t completely defenseless as long as she’s accurate and can reload.

Get her comfortable and accurate with your HD gun and don’t worry about having her rack it. Do that for her for now. Besides, once adrenaline kicks in she’s gonna be able to throw furniture. As long as she’s seen you rack the slide she’ll be able to when the time comes. Baby steps for now.

Goodfoot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    Noblesville
    Currently helping my wife choose a handgun. Tim's Shooting range in Westfield (great guys there) has free rentals with ammo purchase on Tuesdays so I took her there to shoot everything they had. We went three times and as she's getting used to shooting she's changing her mind. I think it's best to go a few times and not rush into a decision. There is a lot going on for a newbie and it takes a few trips to the range for the senses to settle down and focus on what they really like. She so far has narrowed it down to the M&P 9mm EZ and the Sig P365. I'm fairly new as well but I hope this helps from our perspective.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I didn't read any of the other responses.

First, don't push her too much. She needs to be genuinely interested on her own.

Then... You need to take her to an introductory training class with a competent instructor. There are programs to help people take their first shots comfortably.

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    GF had trouble operating the slides. She liked the Walther p22 and could hit with it.
    She ended up with a Walther PK380.
    The safety is backwards from other handguns I am familiar with though, so take some getting used to.

Someone else mentioned the PMR30.. I wondered about that one as well.

blain

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    It’s for strictly home defense, though I have mine next to me. She won’t carry, I know that. Not as long as I’m around.
    If I's only for home defense, would she be more comfortable with a 60-70lb K9 model?
    I know that would be a bit much for "carry", but it could be on alert even if she's napping on the couch.

But to answer your original question of selling off one for her to be armed... 100%.
    IF she understands and is serious about the whole endeavor.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Here’s my situation...trying to convince the better half that she needs to learn to shoot. She is not interested in going to the range with me, but acknowledges she needs to learn. We have had this conversation many times. I told her I would buy her her own gun. She shot my single action .22, YEARS ago. She was “meh” about it. I’ve tried to get her to at least try my 9 mm, but she’s afraid of the recoil, and now, during dry fire exercises I do, she tries to pull the slide back, and can’t do it. I’ve shown her the alternative method, that is, holding slide with her left hand, and pushing with her right. Still a no go. I’m at a loss as to what to try next.
    So, contemplating my next move, I’m thinking of telling her I would consider selling one of my pistols to enable her to shoot what she has told me she would shoot, a .22 revolver. Since we are retired now, it might make things go down easier.

So, what say you, INGO? Would you sell one of yours to facilitate the other half getting involved in her own self protection? I’m not crazy about a .22 for self defense, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. Let me hear from you!
    S&W EZ380.

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Yes, I would absolutely sell off most of my collection, all 3 of them, if that is what it took toget my beloved wife to embrace a self defense handgun.

I have been very fortunate in that department though. My wife has been very receptive to having her "own" handgun. More now than in our earlier years,I have to admit.

She has in "her collection" a Kimber Carry Pro II in 45 acp, a Walther PPS(Mod 1) 9mm, a Walther PPS(Mod 2) 9mm, a Ruger LCP .380 and her fav is her Colt government .380 nickle. Oh, also a Kimber Pepper Blaster and a stun gun.

She also insisted on a home alarm system and two dogs, with all of the baloney going on the past year or so.

I must admitt that the arthritis is becoming a factor and we now work on alernative methods for loading.

I usually smile and say "yes dear".

Hope you search goes well.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a range of calibers and prefer a .45, but do have a .38 revolver, a 9mm semi auto and a .22 semi auto that has a tip up barrel so no need to rack the slide.

The revolver is very comfortable to carry but, being an airweight, is pretty snappy to shoot.

The .22 with the tip up barrel might be a good option if she really just wants a .22 to carry. I use mine mostly as a yard gun for when I am working in my flowers and such as we sometimes get stray dogs passing thru that can be aggressive or people who come up the drive unannounced, and I just like to have a little something on my hip where they can see it. We live in a pretty secluded setting.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    CKW had serious medical issues that took her out of the game for a few years. She is back now but reduced muscle mass has her struggling with the slide on about anything so I built her this and she loves it. Steel killer for her.
    I spent some coin on it but man it is a serious little shooter and she is all smiles.

91JXzpi.jpg
    Bingo, 2nd the 22/45 like this ^
    If the intent is just learning to shoot/have fun, a Ruger Mark IV Lite 22/45 with a slide ring and a dot is ideal. Recoil is non-issue being 22LR. The aftermarket ring on the slide is what makes all the difference, no need to "squeeze" the slide while pulling, just hook a finger in the ring and pull back, makes working the slide simple. They are fun and easy to get hits on target at their first visit to the range. The Volquartsen triggers are amazing, well worth it. Go with the Mark IV's, they are easier to take down & clean, just push the button in the back and it hinges open. Best firearm to introduce new people to shooting hand guns, IMO. And lots of colors to pick from, red, gold, or purple perhaps...
    iu

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bingo, 2nd the 22/45 like this ^
    If the intent is just learning to shoot/have fun, a Ruger Mark IV Lite 22/45 with a slide ring and a dot is ideal. Recoil is non-issue being 22LR. The aftermarket ring on the slide is what makes all the difference, no need to "squeeze" the slide while pulling, just hook a finger in the ring and pull back, makes working the slide simple. They are fun and easy to get hits on target at their first visit to the range. The Volquartsen triggers are amazing, well worth it. Go with the Mark IV's, they are easier to take down & clean, just push the button in the back and it hinges open. Best firearm to introduce new people to shooting hand guns, IMO. And lots of colors to pick from, red, gold, or purple perhaps...
    iu
    The wifes favorite firearm

20170916_194843.jpg

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Here’s my situation...trying to convince the better half that she needs to learn to shoot. She is not interested in going to the range with me, but acknowledges she needs to learn. We have had this conversation many times. I told her I would buy her her own gun. She shot my single action .22, YEARS ago. She was “meh” about it. I’ve tried to get her to at least try my 9 mm, but she’s afraid of the recoil, and now, during dry fire exercises I do, she tries to pull the slide back, and can’t do it. I’ve shown her the alternative method, that is, holding slide with her left hand, and pushing with her right. Still a no go. I’m at a loss as to what to try next.
    So, contemplating my next move, I’m thinking of telling her I would consider selling one of my pistols to enable her to shoot what she has told me she would shoot, a .22 revolver. Since we are retired now, it might make things go down easier.

So, what say you, INGO? Would you sell one of yours to facilitate the other half getting involved in her own self protection? I’m not crazy about a .22 for self defense, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. Let me hear from you!
    10 buck says you put a 3 carat diamond in the shoot she will rack that baby with her left hand and catch the diamond with a spin move behind her back with her right!

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Might I suggest the commie 9mm? (9x18mm, 9mm Mak).
    My Mrs tried every single handgun at the LGS, and what fit her hand perfectly was CZ82. That was also the only slide she could rack on the first try. She is freakishly accurate with it. Very manageable recoil, better ballistics than the .380ACP, cheaper, with Hornady making good HP rounds. Russian or Bulgarian Maks are slim enough to be a purse gun.

The second handgun she got, Ruger SR22, was for pure female reason — her friend at WAW was showing off her pink one, and my Mrs wanted to upstage her with a torquoise version. Lady jealousy and desire to show off is a force of unimaginable power :)

jkholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, I'll insert my own 2 cents in here...

My wife was kind of in the same boat. She enjoys shooting little stuff occasionally but really didn't take it seriously at all. We did end up buying her a pocket 9mm early on. That was my biggest mistake. She would take it and shoot MAYBE two mags out of it, and be done practicing completely. Wouldn't shoot anything else. However, hand her one of my bigger pistols and she would go through a few mags of those instead (mags that were twice the size) and have fun doing it.

I eventually realized that the pocket 9mm was to snappy for her, and my bigger, heavier 9mm pistols were much more mild in recoil. So we spent about a month going to various gun stores, looking at different pistols, and she picked one out that she liked (turned out to be a glock 19 gen4) and she practices with it much more often now. She has even moved on to buy a Ruger PC Carbine so that all her glock mags work in that as well (it really does complement her pistol well, and is also very mild in recoil).

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    I did finally pick my wife up a S&W M&Pin .380. I hope that will keep her shooting a bit more for a while, although 9mm rounds are cheaper.
    Me, I picked up a 1911 in .22. I'll just put the 45 away. (Yeah, in the holster, LOL)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My wife is a shooter. She shoots better than I do and WAY more than I do. She keeps me busy reloading ammo. She is a member of 3 different chapters of a group previously called The Well Armed Woman. The founder stepped down and took the rights to the name with her so the group is now called Armed Women of America. Sounds like a militia outfit to me but don't be deceived. I've attended a few of their monthly meetings which usually consist of a speaker followed by range time. One chapter also runs a monthly women's league at Atterbury in good weather. Most of the chapters have at least one NRA certified female instructor. The ones I have met are pretty good and I would particularly recommend one at the Atterbury chapter. It is my belief, guys, that the LAST PERSON who should be teaching your wife to shoot is YOU!

Jodyrocks96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 14, 2021
    Indianapolis

My wife has a baretta APX carry model. Its 9mm and very compact. She has no issues breaking it down and cleaning it by herself. Putting it together is another story altogether. I recomend the sig sauer p938 because the action is amazingly smooth and it holds 7 9mm rounds. It's also very ergonomic and I have larger than average hands. As for selling my own. NEVER! Good thing handguns are relatively cheap.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As for the original question, no, I would not sell one of mind to get my SO to go shooting. It won't get her interested, not really. It might get her to the range a couple times. kinda like "I'll start/stop doing X if we get married" yea sure maybe for a bit... Unless you guys have a history of a history of following through with each other's deals, I'd pass.

It's definitely a software problem or at least it is until arthritis kicks in. My gamer/electronics (I say to emphasize very much NOT physical labor/hand strength) 110lb wife can rack a .50 Desert Eagle, .45s, and any everything else that's passed through the house. The problem is when arthritis kicks in, if someone can't rack a slide, can they pull a 10-12lb DA revolver trigger with one finger? That's a physical limit to my wife... even if she can pull it, she can't do it while holding any accuracy.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I'd avoid the .22 revolver as the trigger pull is often harder than a .38 due to the nature of the rimfire. A tip up barrel like the tomcat in .32 acp might be an option. As would a revolver in .327 (with its down graded available options) or .38 with wadcutters if a revolver is the option. A .380 ACP might be a better option if she cannot manage a 9mm slide.

Oneofus1

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2018
    Ft wayne
    yea i would for sure. but i would make sure she understand why the gun goes boom before we hit the range. my experience with women and new shooters is most apprihenstion is just rooted in the unknown of not understanding why things happen with a gun and it scares them

Top Bottom