• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I recently purchased some brass from someone on another forum.
    Some of this (.32acp) is once-fired, cleaned and primed.
    I forgot to ask about the primers and now I can't seem to get a reply to my emails.

I'm in no hurry to load these, but they will be my first .32acp loads. I'll inspect each case for O.A.L. and for signs of pressure, but since the primers have no markings I don't know how to identify them.

All else being within specs, would you use unknown primers to load .32acp?
    I have a little over 300 primed cases, so I'd like to use them if it's safe.
    How bad might it be if they are magnum primers?

Am I over thinking this?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Sometimes you can look through the flash hole and see what color the foil is inside the primer and then you can figure out what primer s they are.
    Myself I would use them in a mild load and be done with them.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, light loads. Freebie primers for fun shooting.
    .32ACP is a great little cartridge for camp meat.
    Lyman #313249 is a critter getter.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I agree with the other posters, use them with the starting load and everything should be fine. FWIW, I have never seen any load that called for magnum primers in the .32acp and I have loaded a fair amount of them. It is an excellent little plinking cartridge in a good quality handgun. And +1 to what billybob said, watch your charge weights closely, there is little room for error - I hand weigh all of my .32acp powder charges on a high quality Lyman digital scale. My personal pet load is 1.5grs of Clays with a 71/72gr FMJ - accurate, reliable, and dirt cheap to load.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've never tried to de-prime a case with a live primer, and I'm not sure I want to start now.

Not that you need to with these, but it's no big deal at all. Just make sure you're wearing eye protection because you might get a little debris blasted on the extremely unlikely chance that it detonates. Nothing powerful enough to penetrate the skin if it happens. Ear pro might be good too because it will make you jump if it did happen (again, the likelihood is vanishingly small) and when an unconfined primer goes off it is startlingly loud.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Speaking of that, I have s single case around here somewhere, I don't recall the caliber, but it has a primer in backwards.
    If I understand you correctly it should be safe enough, and no major deal to deprime this?

I've wondered what to do with that case.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Speaking of that, I have s single case around here somewhere, I don't recall the caliber, but it has a primer in backwards.
    If I understand you correctly it should be safe enough, and no major deal to deprime this?

I've wondered what to do with that case.

Yep, same deal, but even less likely to pop since you are not pushing directly on the anvil. Really, I've deprimed many hundreds of live primers including crimped and never had one go, and even if one did the consequences are nil as long as you are wearing eye pro.

Top Bottom