• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got about 200 rounds of 308 ammo that I don't know what to do with. I used to have a DPMS 308 and had to sell it. I didn't have time to fire the remaining ammo before I had to sell the rifle so I have 200 rounds of handloaded 168gr matchkings over varget in remington brass with remington primers.

I don't have a 308 now and the ammo just sets on the shelf. I've thought about either buying a H&R Handi rifle in 308 just to shoot it all up, or trying to sell it but who is going to buy handloaded ammo that a stranger made?

What should I do with all the ammo?

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    "Would you fire a strangers reloads?"

The short answer is NEVER! Nor will I allow someone else to shoot mine. Pull them down and put the powder back in the can and sell the components. Since you've had these a while, you'll more than get your money back on just the primed brass and slugs.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I retract my statement to two parts...........

1) if a stranger is shooting with you....ok...maybe
    2) if a stranger sells them to you...no way in hell

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Additionally, selling reloaded ammo brings in some legal issues I believe. This was discussed in some previous threads, which I can't seem to find right now, but I believe it was discussed that an FFL (or some kind of license) needed to be in place in order to sell reloaded ammo.

Now, I realize this is a small quantity you are looking to get rid of and not a business venture, but the case could be made the same. You would be better off "giving" it away rather than selling it....however, as others mentioned, most people wouldn't be comfortable in shooting it anyways.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Additionally, selling reloaded ammo brings in some legal issues I believe. This was discussed in some previous threads, which I can't seem to find right now, but I believe it was discussed that an FFL (or some kind of license) needed to be in place in order to sell reloaded ammo.

Now, I realize this is a small quantity you are looking to get rid of and not a business venture, but the case could be made the same. You would be better off "giving" it away rather than selling it....however, as others mentioned, most people wouldn't be comfortable in shooting it anyways.

Under certain county regulations you need a license to manufactor ammunition for sales. Not for private use and you can sell ammo if you didn't manufactor it. PM Indygunworks....he just had a huge go around with Marion County on this...

Some insite here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/32693-reloading.html

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    NO! I had a friend nearly blow up his revolver and my hand with a reload. He thought it was funny as hell..... I sooo did not! Ill just buy new ammo thanks.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Agreed 100%. Just wanted to make sure that if there was consideration to sell this ammo that was reloaded, no one gets in trouble.

Thanks for the link I couldn't find!!

EDIT: This is one of the other threads I was refering to with some more good info on the subject.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/28219-selling_reloads.html

Under certain county regulations you need a license to manufactor ammunition for sales. Not for private use and you can sell ammo if you didn't manufactor it. PM Indygunworks....he just had a huge go around with Marion County on this...

Some insite here

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/32693-reloading.html

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    In a word, no.

I won't let my guns be shot by another person with their reloads either, even if I know them. If I loan a gun, it gets either factory ammo or my reloads, non-negotiable. There are damn few people I know, that I would shoot their reloads, let alone a stranger.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    When I first bought my SIG I was at the range and guy offerd to let me shoot his reloads. So I did and 200 rnds later I was fine but I dont think I would do it again.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I've got about 200 rounds of 308 ammo that I don't know what to do with. I used to have a DPMS 308 and had to sell it. I didn't have time to fire the remaining ammo before I had to sell the rifle so I have 200 rounds of handloaded 168gr matchkings over varget in remington brass with remington primers.

I don't have a 308 now and the ammo just sets on the shelf. I've thought about either buying a H&R Handi rifle in 308 just to shoot it all up, or trying to sell it but who is going to buy handloaded ammo that a stranger made?

What should I do with all the ammo?

I will shoot your reloads since you are not a stranger, Teddy12B. After all, we are all friends on this forum.

I will trade you my 223 reloads for your 308 reloads.

PM me if interested. Seriously.....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i forgot the second part of your question. as far as what to do with it id go buy a bullet puller pul the bullet and throw away the powder and save the bullets and casings or sell the bullets and casings

Top Bottom