• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you open carry a ar-15 pistol pistol with a 3d printed lower you made?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Why would there be no serial number?

Because the lower would be printed on a 3d printer. I guess you could put a serial number on it if you wanted, it just wouldn't mean much.

Let me paraphrase the OP, just to be sure I understand the assumptions:
    You are asking if I would open carry a legal, safe, and reliable handgun? Just because is it "different" than other, more common, legal, safe, and reliable handguns?

Why wouldn't I? Is it the fear that LE would hassle me, and possibly not understand the law?

Yes. The main part of the question is actually the 3d printed part. Since up until very recently homemade guns were totally inferior to modern firearms, to say nothing of being good enough to be considered good enough to be a primary means of defense, most police would have little to no experience in dealing with one, maybe. I would think that once an officer realized there was no way of tracking it, and that it was comparable to a modern store bought gun, they would flip. I could be wrong, but knowing some of the reactions police give people over just OC'ing, I don't think I am.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, the assumption was that the 3D printed lower was just as good as any other. I, personally, don't think we are quite there yet. But, that will change in time.

So, it is really about being comfortable OC-ing a legal but unusual gun.

Besides, I doubt any LE would even know the difference. Even if they temporarily confiscated it to "run the serial number", assuming you printed it with a number, it would come back clean.

Top Bottom